Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
@AShwin : Just went through your site/blog. You've some really great suggestions there, just the kind of thing I was looking for ;) I'll surely watch those Romantics I've missed on :D
Thanks for the compliment. :)

@ shantanu,
How to Play High Definition (HD) Movies?

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
dint like gone in 60 secs. much.Gonna watch October sky tonight.

@shantanu:dude my c2d+512mbmb RAM(before upgrade)+onboard GMA3000 played 720p sample movie flawlessly.Yours is a elephant compared to my system so its some settings problem I guess.Use media player classic,its the best one and install each codec you need individually i.e. codec pack is not recommended.

@drgrudge:how do you manage HD beauties on your 256kbps UL connection?

drgrudge

@drgrudge:how do you manage HD beauties on your 256kbps UL connection?
I've see most of the movies. You name it. I would have seen it. So investing my BW on HD and TV Shows. :twisted: More over with a 24X7 line, HD stuffs take 2 days. Some HDTV rips are even 2.5GB but have amazing audio/video and are as good as 4.X or 6.X GB rips.

Also you get addicted. Some 6 years ago, you loved the .dat/.mpg files in those CDs, then came the 700 MB rips, then higher resolution, 5.1 channel AC3 1.4/2.1 GB rip, then you loved DVDs. Now it's all HD. :D

@shantanu, don't worry. Look into the link I gave you. Rest assured that you can run any HD videos. My cousin's 2 year old PC runs HD like a charm.

drgrudge

^^
Cast Away is an amazing movie! Thanks for the other recommendation. But it got a low rating at IMDb?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^
Cast Away is an amazing movie! Thanks for the other recommendation. But it got a low rating at IMDb?
IMDB rating sucks sometimes:( Many flicks are underrated.

I watched Apocalypse Now(8.4) Redux and it sucked big time.

Though watch the trailer first and then decide if u would go for whole movie.

goobimama

 Macboy
@Shantanu: You can use FFDshow to play your movies. CoreAVC is only recommended for slower systems. FFDshow gives much better video quality. DON'T use VLC.

You didn't mention what format that video on the Digit CD was.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
saw blue lagoon on star movies(I am waiting for HDTV here in India,I'll hopefully have a good job by then) sometime bach,isn't it the mivie in which both of then dies in the end(and their small kid too iirc).Din't like much.

@shantanu:shouldn't quads be better than c2ds.lol.Well as I told you,you can try using media player classic.And install nvidia pure video decoder(insall full version from digit december's dvd) and see if it helps(this should help).

shantanu

Technomancer
i dont have the dvd right now actually.. i am at gym right now. as soon as i get home will try the things you guys told me.. the Klite codec package is already installed though and i played the content in XP with Media player classic.. right now i am on Vista :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
saw blue lagoon on star movies(I am waiting for HDTV here in India,I'll hopefully have a good job by then) sometime bach,isn't it the mivie in which both of then dies in the end(and their small kid too iirc).Din't like much.

nope, nobody dies (sh!t u just threw the spoiler).

May be u hav seen the sequel :grin:

goobimama

 Macboy
Nvidia's purevideo decoder is only useful if you have MPEG2 stuff. There's no support for H264 (I'm not sure about HD DVDs and Blu ray discs though). However, you can get video acceleration if you enable the PowerDVD filter within Media Player classic. That will give you a slight boost over FFDshow, but CoreAVC is the best when it comes to slow machines.

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
Guys plz help me out...
can i play HD movies on my config?
AMD X2 5600+ 2.8 GHZ 2mb L2 Cache, 2gb ram 800mhz, ASUS M2N-VM DVI
160GB HDD,,, Using PowerDVD 7.0 DTS edition and Klite codec pack...

And can i also get a link to download Nvidia-pure video decoder??
I checked the nvidia site but cant find

Last edited:

drgrudge

@Shantanu: You can use FFDshow to play your movies. CoreAVC is only recommended for slower systems. FFDshow gives much better video quality. DON'T use VLC.
Don't use VLC? I use VLC in my Mac and my cousin uses VLC in XP. Works like a charm. No problems whatsoever. In fact QT had issues with Planet Earth, it's making strange sound (like if you play a scratched CD) now and then.

VLC have released this Leopard version and it handles HD codecs better than it used to. VLC output video quality is as good as FFDShow or QuickTime.

goobimama

 Macboy
VLC is crap when it comes to video quality. It's got some really crappy codecs. Anyway, Quicktime (mac) gives that popping noise only if you play the video while it is 'loading' (I assume you know what this is).

@PCWORM: You can play HD. But no need for Purevideo cause it won't do anything for your playback. Pretty much useless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom