Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Terminator Salvation (crappy and cliched script, its a dud like The Island)
Me Shivaji Rao Bhosle Boltoy (good Marathi movie)

Thanks to whoever recommended 'Primer'.
It is an exceptional movie.
Recommended sequence of enjoying it- watch once...try to figure it out...give up...google it...read about it on the www... watch again...try to figure it out according to what you read on the www... figure out 1/3 of it...watch again...try to interpret it on your own...read more on the www...figure out the another 1/3 of it...watch again... figure out the remaining 1/3 of it...have a doubt that you still havent figured it all out...watch again... etc etc
True.

The Prestige [2006] : 9.86/10
Was my 4th film today! :)
Great presentation but that Tesla thing ruined it a little bit for me. 8/10 from me.
There is prestige for hackers too :p

Strange Days [1995] - 8.26/10
Frenzied exploration of how technology affects man! Ralph Fiennes is amazing.
Ralph is always amazing. Dunno why the man is not given due honor for his work ?

saw 3 gud movies last week:
3. Escape from Alcatraz (similar to the shawshank redemption)
Except the ending is not quite same. Similar movie of same time was The Great Escape.

Brazil [1985] - 8.98/10
Thanks Digit for recommending in mag! Brilliant cult-sci-fi...
Yeah, pretty much a satire on beureaucracy and the tussles of life. A great enjoyment for people in IT field.

"Harry Tuttle, a man consumed by paperwork"

The Reader - Good script. Lots of nudity but whos complaining? Isn't this the role for which Kate Winslet got the Oscar this year? Not sure.
At last she claimed Oscar but not for the one in which she performed her best.

9/10 for "Children of Men"...excellent sci-fi. Must watch.
Indeed a good post apocalypse scenario. It is plausible that at some stage human race may face same thing.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Nice start @Kanjar. Welcome aboard.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Horsemen 5.8/10

Nah, it can't be given 6.

Well, this is a serial-psycho-killer story.
I found it "The silence of the lambs"+emotional drama.

First 30mins it started as a promising movie then nose dived. Then came back with hopes then it could not stop falling.

Recommended to new comers to this psycho killer field. Watch, u may like it.

Rest experienced ones, it even lacks violence/brutality to shock u. After a moment u could even predict the twists:!:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The God of Cookery 9/10

Well, you have seen "Shaolin Soccer", you have seen "Kung-fu Hustle", you thought that is the highest limit a film can go crazy.
No, watch this one and tell. Its more crazy than those.
Crazy theme, then execution, awesome dialogs, intelligent humors, slapstick comedy etc.

It can't get better than this.

Plz, plz, plz don't miss this one.

Stephen Chow is the man!!!

Krow

Crowman
A Scanner Darkly - 9/10

Seriously, this is amazing! Similar themes explored in : Strange Days [1995], Trainspotting [1996], Requiem for a Dream [2000]. The best part is the anime. Beautifully done.

Special thanks : fieldgunner.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The International. I can't rate this movie for some reason, as I'm thoroughly confused it. I found it totally boring, to be honest. Yeah yeah, it should go into the "must not watch movies" thread, but like a_medico said, who visits it anyway. :wink:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Pyaasa

(I dare not rate this movie)

Yes, at last I saw this movie from start to end. Last time when I got a glimpse of it was in class XI. It came in Star Gold (The channel was launched to show old movies only) and the song "Yeh duniya agar mil bhi jaye to kaya hai" was playing. I fell in love with it that time.

After that day, today I finally managed to watch it completely.

(sometimes I need some good dose of sadness)

fieldgunner

Broken In
A Scanner Darkly - 9/10

Seriously, this is amazing! Similar themes explored in : Strange Days [1995], Trainspotting [1996], Requiem for a Dream [2000]. The best part is the anime. Beautifully done.

Special thanks : fieldgunner.

YW, bro...

Re"Anime"... actually the film is not anime...its not even fully animation...its a live action film which has been animated with a technique called "Rotoscoping"... but you're right, it does look amazing.

Another great rotoscoped movie is "Waking Life" by the same director...be warned though, Richard Linklaters works are not for everyone... very surreal/philosophical in nature... you have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy it.

Krow

Crowman
^ well, for now, I'm a fan of his! A Scanner Darkly and School of Rock are in my great films list. I'll check out Waking life too.

Krow

Crowman
Cube 2: Hypercube - 7/10
Decent horror/thriller/sci-fi.

LXG : 6.5/10
Naseeruddin Shah wasted. Good for timepass, but not for fans of the genre(sci-fi).