Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Krow

Crowman
Spoiler Link Alert:-

*www.moviepooper.com/8/3569thebroken.html

The above link explains The Broken to quite an extent. For me it was an amazing movie. Ironically, I loved the things which you hated!

I didn't like Primer as I couldn't comprehend a thing. Maybe I was not in a mood or maybe it was a way too much for me! But The Broken was awesome. Its a subjective experience. Everybody will have his own opinion. :)

The good thing is the lack of SFX. Keeps things real for a start. Please try Invasion Of The Body Snatchers [1956] - Don Seigel. Its in B/W and has no SFX at all. Pure brilliant the way he created suspense and the thriller in 1956 without using CGI! Good to see directors today who rely less on SFX. I would have loved the movie totally if not for watching the other two previously. I wish rhitwick understands this movie if he watches it again. :)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys, u r going overboard on this movie. Just because the director kept things simple and used silence to build up suspense it can't be counted as a very good movie.

It very much lacks logic (at least I found that)

@A-medico, I'm in office so could not browse through ur link, so my next questions may sound to u "these r already answered"

IMO, the movie looks abstract only because of massive editing. I believe, yes i really believe there were connecting/explaining scenes in between. When the production team found out the movie is turning to be boring one, they edited those scenes to make an abstract, suspense (can't call it horror, sorry) movie.

Next question, the gal killed her clone. Why clone? can't it be her twin (juduaaa), why r u so sure of it? None explained it in movie. (if I have to understand movies by reading web ref. I would watch David Lynch movies; he fcuks my brain well)

Now lets take a situation, u r a clone, on ur way, u saw a guy looks-alike u (how do u know its d original and why r u sure u r clone?). U follow him and kill him (why? u wanted his property, fame etc. why?)
Well, however abstract the logic u want to put, lets take it that way. U killed him (without any reason). Now how do u explain the clone (not twin) of the gal's dad? Her BF? And her Bf's dead body (well, if going by previous illogic, she killed original's BF too and hallucinating, right?).
Now how do u explain, original's dad's clone? A third party (or neutral person) was used to tell audience that his clone was also observed.
And killing of the gal's brother (or who was it? I forgot)

Was it some curse (from where did u derive it)
Was it some personality disorder (or dissociative blah blah; again how do u derive it)
Why clone, why not a ghost? and WHY NOT A TWIN (who was abandoned in childhood by father but he kept in touch with her and she was a bit mentally-dis balanced and out of jealousy killed her sister, and her BF and her brother. Then again I can't match the equation for dad's clone (was there a dad's clone???)....sh1t!!! fcuk this movie)

My issue with directing: Yes its the same reason for which u guys are praising it. The lengthy shots. It builds up suspense. Means, u always expect something is going to happen now, bas abhi...abhi hua....yeh hua....ye....ye.....ye....poof...kuch nahi hua. :-X
Throughout the movie these kinda scenes are used a few times and I was not comfortable with this style of filming.

2nd viewing...ummm, let me read a_medico's ref. then only....

U c I went deep inside the movie :grin:

a_medico

Chillum Baba

My issue with directing: Yes its the same reason for which u guys are praising it. The lengthy shots. It builds up suspense. Means, u always expect something is going to happen now, bas abhi...abhi hua....yeh hua....ye....ye.....ye....poof...kuch nahi hua. :-X
Throughout the movie these kinda scenes are used a few times and I was not comfortable with this style of filming.

Well its subjective....The same direction style was used in few other movies which were very effective. The few I recall now are The Descent, Inside (french), etc. This direction style might not appeal everyone. Everybody has different taste, which depend on various factors, viewers surrounding, thinking, upbringing, etc.

I agree. I didn't get a thing from your queries! They were more brainfcuk than a Lynch movie :))! Though I don't recall minute details, the movie was not that difficult to comprehend once you go through the spoiler and imdb.

Krow

Crowman
^ +1

@ rhitwick We need to start a new thread called "The Broken's mysteries of the unexplained" :D

Appleseed : 9/10 : Beautiful action/anime/sci-fi.
Appleseed Ex Machina : 7.5/10 - Liked the first one more bcz of its focus on the action and not a little bit too much on politics. Could have been a lil' more tightly edited.

Thanks to whoever recommended these two. Just what I needed to watch now. Next Stop : A Scanner Darkly!

fieldgunner

Broken In
Appleseed : 9/10 : Beautiful action/anime/sci-fi.
Appleseed Ex Machina : 7.5/10 - Liked the first one more bcz of its focus on the action and not a little bit too much on politics. Could have been a lil' more tightly edited.

Thanks to whoever recommended these two. Just what I needed to watch now. Next Stop : A Scanner Darkly!

yw, bro...

Also, if you liked these, make sure you try "Ghost in the Shell"

cheers...

Krow

Crowman
Ok. Thanks for recommending. I'll chk it out. If u are a fan of anime, why not chk out Paprika? Or have u already seen it?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
The Reader (Good movie, just like The English Patient. Moral dilemma etc etc.)
All Around Us (One of the most meticulously crafted Japanese movie, not for casual movie goers. Lead actress was kinda lovable :p)
The Boy in Striped Payjama (One time must watch movie)
Il Mare (Better sci fi and drama, remined me of Donnie Darko)
99 (just like a wine, it will be remembered later after few years for now it in dark. A decent movie from bollywood)
New York (boring sh!t, cliched ending, copy pasta, rebranded Yash Raj banner music)
Chocolate (I kinda liked this movie, better story and semi ong bak)
Ong Bak 2 (just like first one but failed to outdo the same)
Kambakth Ishq (pure garbage)
Black Friday (Good start from Anurag Kashyap)
Linda Linda Linda (another damn good movie from Japan, its like Rock On but surpasses it on many levels)
Guard Post (Korean take at part horror, thriller and suspense setting in an isolated Guard Post where something weird happened. Good movie, but it could have been better)
Butterfly Effect (One time watch, not worhty sci fi sh!t)
Primer (Its complicated university grade sci fi, I am yet to understand it fully. But certainly I will not recommend it for serious movie goers.)
Pulp Fiction (It has everything...chuckles)
Spider Forest (David Lychian plot, must say that this movie is one of my all time favorite.)

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The Perfect Sleep 8/10

Its different. With a complex story the execution is what made it different. Felt like a theater play.

All went well till last 3 minutes, it seemed to be a hindi movie.

Watch for a different experience.

Top Bottom