Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Pathik

Google Bot
^ Star Movies?

Wild Hogs - 7/10

BTW Sam, how do you calculate these exact decimal point ratings. ? :p

Eggy, a_medico, thanks. Will check them out.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I'm still waiting for you man regarding movies with good SFX etc

I'm extremely sorry. I totally forgot about it.

Here, lemme try to suggest u some movies. If u r new to this thread these may help:razz:

Bond movies (All. Starting from Pierce Brosnan to Daniel Craig)
Babylon A.D.
Death Race
Death Sentence
DejaVu
Eagle Eye
Fantastic Four series
Superman (new one)
Batman (Both new ones)
Harry Potter series (Personally I don't like it but all parts have good SFX)
Indiana.Jones.And.The.Kingdom.Of.The.Crystal.Skull
Iron Man
Jumper (All super hero movie; something always blast in them:oops: )
Journey.To.The.Center.Of.The.Earth
Die Hard 4 (Awesome!!!)
Punisher (both parts, not a very satisfying movie from story wise, but full fills ur demand)
Rambo (errr, I think I need not to mention this, n not mentioning MATRIX:oops: )
Resident Evil (all parts)
Transporter series
Narnia series
Eragon
The Ghost and Darkness (would be gr8 for a surround sound system)
Wanted
And not mentioning Transformers:oops: and X-Men
Armageddon
Banlieue
V For Vendetta
Azumi (both parts)*
Minority Report
Musa*
Shiri*
The.City.Of.Violence.2006*

And, there are a lot of war movies. I don't like the genre so can't name the ones u should see. Ask Sam, Ethan, a_medico...

*I've not yet seen

ajayritik

Technomancer
I'm extremely sorry. I totally forgot about it.

Here, lemme try to suggest u some movies. If u r new to this thread these may help:razz:

Bond movies (All. Starting from Pierce Brosnan to Daniel Craig)
Babylon A.D.
Death Race
Death Sentence
DejaVu
Eagle Eye
Fantastic Four series
Superman (new one)
Batman (Both new ones)
Harry Potter series (Personally I don't like it but all parts have good SFX)
Indiana.Jones.And.The.Kingdom.Of.The.Crystal.Skull
Iron Man
Jumper (All super hero movie; something always blast in them:oops: )
Journey.To.The.Center.Of.The.Earth
Die Hard 4 (Awesome!!!)
Punisher (both parts, not a very satisfying movie from story wise, but full fills ur demand)
Rambo (errr, I think I need not to mention this, n not mentioning MATRIX:oops: )
Resident Evil (all parts)
Transporter series
Narnia series
Eragon
The Ghost and Darkness (would be gr8 for a surround sound system)
Wanted
And not mentioning Transformers:oops: and X-Men
Armageddon
Banlieue
V For Vendetta
Azumi (both parts)*
Minority Report
Musa*
Shiri*
The.City.Of.Violence.2006*

And, there are a lot of war movies. I don't like the genre so can't name the ones u should see. Ask Sam, Ethan, a_medico...

*I've not yet seen
Thanks a million dude. I hope to get few more suggestions from other folks.
Actually I'm looking for some stuff which can be watched with the family. So maybe I have to strike out few of the options you mentioned.
And I hope most of them have good sound effects that is what I'm looking for more than the visual effects.
Anyways thanks again.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Actually I'm looking for some stuff which can be watched with the family. So maybe I have to strike out few of the options you mentioned.
And I hope most of them have good sound effects that is what I'm looking for more than the visual effects.
Anyways thanks again.
In order to gain proper 5.1 effects, you'll need to obtain the original DVD or a rip which has an AC 5.1 audio. Without it, the purpose of surround sound is defeated. So bear in mind that these movies can only be enjoyed on full 5.1 DTS effect.

My list isn't in any particular order & I can't guarantee a family watchable movie. Also try and get these in HD if you can. So here goes:

The Matrix Trilogy (watch it again if you have already seen it)
Jurassic Park
Spiderman Trilogy
X-Men Trilogy
The Fast & Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Transformers
Terminator
Terminator II: Judgment Day Director's Cut Edition
Face Off
Mission Impossible II
Predator
Top Gun
I-Robot
xXx
V for Vendetta
The Bourne series
Gladiator
Troy
Saving Private Ryan
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Gone in 60 Seconds
Bolt (family movie with some pretty good sound effects in the beginning)
The Last Samurai
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Death Race
Taken
Pearl Harbour
Black Hawk Down
The Incredibles
Master & Commander
Wall-E
Iron Man
Armageddon
The Day After Tomorrow
Independence Day
True Lies
Star Wars series (can't name them as I'm not a fan, but have heard it's got awesome effects. THX, remember? :grin:)
Universal Soldier
Rambo IV
Die Hard 4

Apologies if some movies are repeated, but these are some that I remember off the top of my head. If you need more, let me know.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Primer .....I cant rate this one as I was not able to understand a thing....most of it, I'd put it that way....yea you heard it right. This by far has THE most complicated plot a movie can have.......I got the main part but that was it...rest was all messed up for me, I mean I have seen pretty complicated movies but this one crosses all borders even with proper subtitles (without it I bet you wont even be able to spell th emovie) . Its about 2 friends working on an experiment. What the experiment is I wont tell but PLEASE anybody or I'd say everybody who thinks he is a serious movie geek watch this movie and make me understand....in the mean time I am going through the IMDB forums to get a better understanding......mind you movie is technically brilliant if not flawless.
I've seen Primer a long time ago. And u r correct its too twisted to understand. Somewhat similar plot to DejaVu without the charm.
The screenplay would be good for a concept Physics project IMO8)

ajayritik

Technomancer
In order to gain proper 5.1 effects, you'll need to obtain the original DVD or a rip which has an AC 5.1 audio. Without it, the purpose of surround sound is defeated. So bear in mind that these movies can only be enjoyed on full 5.1 DTS effect.

My list isn't in any particular order & I can't guarantee a family watchable movie. Also try and get these in HD if you can. So here goes:

The Matrix Trilogy (watch it again if you have already seen it)
Jurassic Park
Spiderman Trilogy
X-Men Trilogy
The Fast & Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Transformers
Terminator
Terminator II: Judgment Day Director's Cut Edition
Face Off
Mission Impossible II
Predator
Top Gun
I-Robot
xXx
V for Vendetta
The Bourne series
Gladiator
Troy
Saving Private Ryan
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Gone in 60 Seconds
Bolt (family movie with some pretty good sound effects in the beginning)
The Last Samurai
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Death Race
Taken
Pearl Harbour
Black Hawk Down
The Incredibles
Master & Commander
Wall-E
Iron Man
Armageddon
The Day After Tomorrow
Independence Day
True Lies
Star Wars series (can't name them as I'm not a fan, but have heard it's got awesome effects. THX, remember? :grin:)
Universal Soldier
Rambo IV
Die Hard 4

Apologies if some movies are repeated, but these are some that I remember off the top of my head. If you need more, let me know.
Thanks a million dude! I will be checking on the list you mentioned. You are right about the 5.1 thing. I got couple of movies from my friend which were 700MB size stuff which resulted in not so great quality of sound particularly.

D

Deleted member 26636

ahhh...this damned theme...anyway watched these four animes- 1.Howl's moving castle
2.My neighbour totoro 3.Ponyo on the cliff by the sea
..these three are from the highly acclaimed hayao miyazaki & are just awesome. Also watched Millenium actress..this is also very good.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
dejavu I'd say was just a needle in the haysack of complications Primer puts you in, and the tough part is movie's sequencing is very unorthodox given the subject it deals with....I will watch it again..........and people say Matrix was tough to understand. For me Matrix was a child's play in front of this movie.
Sam, if u r doing so much to understand a movie.
Please help me get the movie "Bee Season". I'm still clueless what it actually meant?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Man are you seriously asking me, or giving me another subject to bang my head on...:mrgreen:

LOL...
well, leave it. Dats too much boring movie with nothing to deliver.
Throughout the movie I waited that something will happen in next scene but suddenly the titles started rolling:neutral:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys, help me remember a hindi movie name.
Year: at least 10-12 yrs ago.
Star Cast: Nana patekar and Madhuri Dixit.
Plot: Nana loves Madhuri from child hood but couldn't express. Turns psycho. Last scene is in a theater where he brings Madhuri. Threatens her with a toy gun(Madhuri doesn't know its a toy gun) and asks her to say yes to his proposal. Madhuri's bf comes (he's a police) and shoots him.

Well, that much I can recall. Plz, anyone??

GameAddict

In the zone
Guys, help me remember a hindi movie name.
Year: at least 10-12 yrs ago.
Star Cast: Nana patekar and Madhuri Dixit.
Plot: Nana loves Madhuri from child hood but couldn't express. Turns psycho. Last scene is in a theater where he brings Madhuri. Threatens her with a toy gun(Madhuri doesn't know its a toy gun) and asks her to say yes to his proposal. Madhuri's bf comes (he's a police) and shoots him.

Well, that much I can recall. Plz, anyone??

This one- *www.imdb.com/title/tt0287111/ :D

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I am more curious to know what made you hunt for this movie in particular..:)
I think, now I know the meaning of the last scene.
A lot of time u just miss the opportunity to say/do something. May be over the years those just become meaningless. But deep down u still feel at least u should have done that. U should have done that, irrespective of the result.
Then I remembered that in one movie this was shown. Then I got the climax scene, but could not remember the movie:grin:

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
I think, now I know the meaning of the last scene.
A lot of time u just miss the opportunity to say/do something. May be over the years those just become meaningless. But deep down u still feel at least u should have done that. U should have done that, irrespective of the result.
agree

Top Bottom