Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014) -10/10.

Terribly hilarious movie... Good Watch...

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
Coherence - 7.5/10

interesting plot, interesting situation build up, but sometimes it went little bizarre, somewhat confusing and a little difficult to follow, some acts taken by the characters was rather weird. but it was still enjoyable film, kept me under suspense, tensed, even though the ending was stupid.

absolutely recommended, but expected more !

and this movie recommends to watch Sliding Doors (1998) - IMDb so, i think i must do that now.

lesson from watching the movie: don't leave house when a alternate reality happens, there are infinite numbers of resultant realities of any reality, so u will be completely messed up, its 1:∞ path of potentially no return ! :D

any more nice & interesting alternate reality / parallel universe movie suggestions ?

a_medico

Chillum Baba
The Theory Of Everything - That was one awesome movie! My preference for the best actor would be Eddie Redmayne but it might go to Bradley Cooper or Michael Keaton.

Felicity Jones and background score were equally good!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^^ You must have seen the movie on a laptop .....

You obviously dont see a movie for what its worth for ...... JW is an enormous stylish action flick with action sequences that defies lots of movies of the same genre. it offers nothing and expects nothing, gives enough to connect to the character and BTW it was not "just" a dog. Thats a lame statement with all due respect. The dog was the gift from his loving wife before she died. And she expected him to find peace and solace in the animal. ....The action sequences flow so smoothly that it puts other action films and their quick cuts to shame. Keanue moves so fluidly throughout the film and comes across as an absolute natural ruthless killer ......

But this has to be seen on a big screen with atleast a decent sound system. If you will watch this movie on a laptop I am certain it would land up with much low appreciation than it deserves

Dude, seriously, I'm losing respect on you over movies. Now-a-days you praise movies with lots of glam, sound effects and CGI and totally ignore its soul i.e. its plot.
To answer you, no, I did not watch it on a laptop. I have a pretty decent system with a somewhat good enough 5.1 sound. But, tell me one thing. Does the set-up really matter to recognize a good movie.

If anyone watches "Taken" for the first time on a 4.5" mobile screen won't he feel the same thrill? At the end of the day the content matters and "John Wick" falls flat on that.

Just because I saw the contradicting opinions, here is my assessment of John Wick.

6/10 - Restrained direction. Not brutal enough in execution. And the reason for revenge was plausible but not convincing. Few scenes were drawn out to accentuate the effect but that only proved to be more cliched. Use of music was not fitting to the mood of movie. Do I feel sympathy for the main character? No. Pretty much forgettable watch.

As a revenge flick there are far better entries to watch.

And [MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION] here exactly reciprocated my feeling about this movie.

If you look closely and compare a very similar movie released in kind of similar timeline "The Equalizer" you'll find the later tries to follow a believable plot (even if predictable and formulaic). Whereas "John Wick" it seems overkill. The director did not let build a character rather put things in your face.
Recall all famous revenge movies and note down the formula:

1.An infamous fugitive/detective/cop/assassin is in hiding in a small town (remember hiding is important)
2.Gets very fond of a woman/girl child/boy child/old lady/a family who looks after him/her
3.Ends up involving in a clash/brawl/gunfight/swordfight to save the significant person mentioned in point 2 which reveals his/her other side. This brings excitement (as audience already knew how brutal he is and how powerless his/her opponents would be if he/she gets on field). This is always revealed by action rather 'n' number of people telling everyone how awesome he is (what JW did)
4.A secret hideout with a trusted partner (who obviously dies)
5.The small brawl(at point 3) leads to a war with a huge establishment who at first ignores him/her then gets information about his/her past.
6."The end" with either our protagonist being dead or alive and obviously killing the villain.

"John Wick" touches almost all points in this checklist but fails in establishing the main character a few strands of story would have been nice. And most ridiculous is the character Viggo!!!

He just gives up his son, so easily!

"John Wick" is a badly executed revenge movie. As I've already told "you've watched better revenge movies" I'll still stick to that.

And a request, [I really drool over your HT set-up and made a mind to get a similar one in my lifetime] you are being too obsessed with your HT set-up. Its awesome! I agree but has no magical power to make an average movie 'awesome!'

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
any more nice & interesting alternate reality / parallel universe movie suggestions ?

Triangle 9/10

This movie lacks the glam but does the job. Highly recommended

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day 5.5/10

Another average "feel-good" movie. Very much similar to "Diary of a wimpy kid" series.

singleindian

Journeyman
Boyhood-10/10

full marks to the director and cast taking the risk of making this film over 12 yrs.its like fast forwarding the boys life from 6yrs old to 19yrs

- - - Updated - - -

The Theory Of Everything - That was one awesome movie! My preference for the best actor would be Eddie Redmayne but it might go to Bradley Cooper or Michael Keaton.

Felicity Jones and background score were equally good!

he probably win the oscar! as some one said if u want an oscar ,put the actor in wheelchair!!! :mrgreen:

- - - Updated - - -

As I said you got to see is a movie for what its worth for, not every movie is content driven and should be only commended on some soul shaking phenomenon. Some times style matters over content, but if both are there (like Matrix) then its an heaven of a movie, but it should not always be a norm. A movie should be good at what it gives and JW gives action with style, that is not seen in a movie for a long time and most of the people agree with me on this on IMDB hence a 7+ rating (even though JW sound like crap movie on paper), but its execution as fast, brick, brilliantly shot and meticulously choreographed action movie succeeds in flying colors.... .the shear intensity of action sequences alone is something to commend for.

And its backed with enough character assessment to give you the feel of a ruthless killer who is a professional in this for a long time. And top it all with Reeves giving it all with his cool, demeanor as a shooter who know what he is doing. Reeves literally emulates cool in this film and does it with such confidence, that we don't even doubt the character...even when he kills countless bad guys with extreme force in somewhat, implausible situations. We don't doubt it for a minute. This is EXACTLY what you want out of an action film and that is EXACTLY where is succeeds ........ .. and "YES" a good HT...... heck infact just having an HT definitely adds to the entire feel of the movie.

Also I am not saying everyone should watch a movie in an HT, that not possible, but quite a few times I have seen people watching an action movie on a laptop and complaining it was not good. Its not necessary to have a 5.1 sound per se, 2.0/2.1 will do as well but it should atleast bring out the essence of an action movie. What good the FURY tank battles be on laptop speakers, tell me??? you would not get any feel out of the movie, and again yes a good HT does make an average "ACTION" (note the word action) movie above average. Perfect example is FURY itself, for me it was an average movie, but watching it on my HT, man just blew me off, the tank battles were awsome on 5.1 with kick ass subwoofer and it did turn the movie above average form just an average for me .......

for me its an average movie- 6/10.sure it was stylish and has good action scenes.but you can literally know what will be happening next.thats makes the movie boring and predictable to an extent.storywise its poor.a ruthless killer goes on a killing spree beacuse someone stole his car and dog.thts whr the whole story fall flat!keanu is cool?he look stone faced!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Triangle 9/10

This movie lacks the glam but does the job. Highly recommended

I like this movie. Reminds me of Timecrimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I am not saying everyone should watch a movie in an HT, that not possible, but quite a few times I have seen people watching an action movie on a laptop and complaining it was not good. Its not necessary to have a 5.1 sound per se, 2.0/2.1 will do as well but it should atleast bring out the essence of an action movie. What good the FURY tank battles be on laptop speakers, tell me??? you would not get any feel out of the movie, and again yes a good HT does make an average "ACTION" (note the word action) movie above average. Perfect example is FURY itself, for me it was an average movie, but watching it on my HT, man just blew me off, the tank battles were awsome on 5.1 with kick ass subwoofer and it did turn the movie above average form just an average for me .......

I watched it on 23' screen (dell ultrasharp) and THX certified speakers (logitech z603 + Xonar STX + Lear FSM V02 amp with MUSE 01 opamps). It literally shakes the floor on low frequencies.

While watching this movie I already had quite a few touchstones, like, Kill Bill and I Saw The Devil. Both have better choreographed scenes. If you ask about style the Kill Bill takes the cake, reality is I Saw the Devil's ground. Confessions was another unconventional revenge movie that blew me away with its method of revenge, plot, and cinematography.

I do think that I should re-watch A Bittersweet Life. Its premise is similar to John Wick. But I felt sympathy about the main character. I was rooting for him to win. Music complemented the story and scenes.

PS: Plot is an important aspect. Otherwise I will be wasting my time watching movies which bring nothing new on the table

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Saw Minority Report but I was a little underwhelmed when I later saw that it was made by Steven Spielberg.
The concept was great but I didn't like the execution and some cliches.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
John wick felt like another Salman khan movie to me. Was so bored.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw Minority Report but I was a little underwhelmed when I later saw that it was made by Steven Spielberg.

It gets better with repeat viewing :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
And just for that only I will rate this movie pretty high. Now you can argue, the plot was ok, the characters were one dimensional, story arc was predicable ...blah blah... BUT friends out there........, this is not what we remember AVATAR for?

As I said sometimes a movie comes that excels so much in that once department that it over shadows the rest and we as movie goers should respect that .... :)

JW excelled in point and shoot gun action and excelled in flying colors .... As an revenge movie it was ok, I would rate a movie like Death Sentence much higher as far as just a revenge movie is concerned

Frankly, I remember Death Sentence better in my visual memory compared to Avatar. Death Sentence was a good revenge movie. Taxi driver's finale gives the adrenaline rush that I would wait through the whole movie for just that scene. John Wick couldn't. It's just that I was drawn to how cliched it was. Different strokes for different folks.

I still consider Point Break one of the favorite movies if I look through Keanu's movies.

So I was confused about the movie Triangle and went to IMDB to clear out my doubts and found this post, Triangle: An Objective And Thorough Ana... - IMDb

Oh God! These guys can chew on things.

Could anyone suggest some movies like Edge of Tomorrow or Coherence etc.? You know Sci-Fi based thrillers.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Minority Report is one of those classic cult, who have inspired many Sci Fi movies. No wonder you would find it filled with cliches. You are too late watching it already. :p

I absolutely adored this movie. And one of the films which made me love the work of Steven Spielberg.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
As I said you got to see is a movie for what its worth for, not every movie is content driven and should be only commended on some soul shaking phenomenon. Some times style matters over content, but if both are there (like Matrix) then its an heaven of a movie, but it should not always be a norm. A movie should be good at what it gives and JW gives action with style, that is not seen in a movie for a long time and most of the people agree with me on this on IMDB hence a 7+ rating (even though JW sound like crap movie on paper), but its execution as fast, brick, brilliantly shot and meticulously choreographed action movie succeeds in flying colors.... .the shear intensity of action sequences alone is something to commend for.

And its backed with enough character assessment to give you the feel of a ruthless killer who is a professional in this for a long time. And top it all with Reeves giving it all with his cool, demeanor as a shooter who know what he is doing. Reeves literally emulates cool in this film and does it with such confidence, that we don't even doubt the character...even when he kills countless bad guys with extreme force in somewhat, implausible situations. We don't doubt it for a minute. This is EXACTLY what you want out of an action film and that is EXACTLY where is succeeds ........ .. and "YES" a good HT...... heck infact just having an HT definitely adds to the entire feel of the movie.

would agree. many-a-times, movie-viewing experience on an HTS can further add good to your impressions about a movie, and even turn the tables for a movie which you may've found average in core-content otherwise (if it delivers on the 'cinematic-experience' quotient, that is). then there are those which regardless of whether you watch them on a laptop or on a HTS, or on both, they would impress you nonetheless, esp. if the core-content is strong, even if the cosmetics are less or missing. for instance, i watched 'master & commander' many years back on my laptop. seemed ho-hum and dreary to me, and didn't continue till the end. years later, watched the BD-version of it on my HTS, and it went on to become one of my favourite movies!
then there's 'rise of the planet of the apes', which i highly doubt i would've liked if i had watched on my laptop, but i liked it on my HTS. further, there are many movies like:
'ghost dog', 'the shawshank redemption', 'the peaceful warrior', 'the elephant man', 'the green mile', 'dances with wolves', 'the guardian', 'the untouchables', 'a haunting (1962)', 'session 9', '1408', 'unforgiven' & other clint eastwood-directed movies, 'defendor', 'district 9', 'stalag 17', 'the 3 stooges', 'the phantom train', 'the sixth sense', 'do aankhein baarah haath', 'ek ruka hua faisala', 'jaane bhi do yaaron', 'v for vendetta (the Hindi version)', 'the boxer', 'up' (Hindi version with Anupam Kher's voice), 'Ip Man', 'ronin', 'unbreakable', and many many more! LOL. was tough to halt. :D
which, irrespective of on what medium you watch them, they would impress you nevertheless. and then there are the likes of 'guardians of the galaxy' and quite a few of them, which fail to impress on either medium (i know many like it, but i found it to be just another movie from the superhero-bandwagon! can't recall many mediocre ones right now, as am quite choosy and generally skip those not appealing to me). and, there are those that are simply meant to be watched on a big screen and HTS, like 'baraka',' 'samsara', 'life cycles', 'the tree of life', 'gravity', 'interstellar', and quite a few more, plus some documentaries and series like 'planet earth', 'microcosmos', etc. all-in-all, highly depends on the movie itself, and to an extent on the viewer too. :mrgreen:

- - - Updated - - -

12 Monkeys

:agreed:

Last edited:

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
That is why I mentioned "Action" which was the key word .... Movie purely content driven can be enjoyed on any medium, you have given some perfect examples like "elephant man", shawshank redemption, green mile ...... I will add The pursuit of happyness, scent of a women in the list (though there are lot many other as well). I would have enjoyed these movies on a laptop as well. But few are there like yes "master n commender" very good example that makes your perception completely change when you re watch in an HT or a cinema ....... THere was this movie called "war of the world" by SS, which I watched on my computer and I did not enjoy it at all, I re watched on my HT years later and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it .......... There is this another movie ..."Lone Survivor" most of the people out here did not like it, I on the other hand immensely enjoyed it on my HT as the war execution brilliantly came out on a 5.1 surround stage ..... and for that reason only I notched up a point or two to the movie's over all score ...

BTW Movie like Gravity, the viewer should be banned to see it on anything less than a 100 inch screen with full HD and if possible 3D :D :D ..... its just so awsome :)

:doublethumb:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
John Doe : Vigilante 7/10

If you've seen Dexter you might some similarities.

One time watch for sure.

It may even surprise at places!

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Six shooter - Got it out from the old collection. This is one weird black comedy. Duration - 30 mins. Subtitles recommended as it has a very heavy accent and possibility of missing good punchlines.

Top Bottom