Microsoft Announces Availability of Windows 7 Beta and Windows Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Here are direct download links to the official ISO images of Windows 7 public beta. Right click and copy the URL and paste it in your browser window to download. If you direct click on the following URL, it'll redirect to Microsoft website:

Download Windows 7 Public Beta ISO (x86)

Download Windows 7 Public Beta ISO (x64)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
But that would not have the keys & I think that would require 1 to go through the registration process. :(

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
Thanks Vishal....

Yuppiee.........I am being able to download it using "wget" on Ubuntu 8.10

#wget -c *wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/downloa...00_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso

I stoped the download...broke the download ... again restarted and it resumes....cheers to "wget"...cheers to Ubuntu....

Now I need the serial key...Vishal can you please help ... I have hotmail id (windows live).....

mrbgupta

Journeyman
@VG

Stuck at key page.

"The site is currently experiencing technical difficulties, please check back in the next business day."

what's next business day?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Thanks Vishal....

Yuppiee.........I am being able to download it using "wget" on Ubuntu 8.10

#wget -c *wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/downloa...00_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso

I stoped the download...broke the download ... again restarted and it resumes....cheers to "wget"...cheers to Ubuntu....

[sarcasm]

OMG...really? Ubuntu can do that???. Woha, ubuntu is the best OS out there, you can resume a download after breaking or pausing it.[/sarcasm]

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
OMG...it comes with a built in Download Manager called wget, damn, even Windows 7 doesn't come with a built in download manager, let alone one which comes in command line form :D

Time to install IE Pro on Windows 7

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
OMG...it comes with a built in Download Manager called wget, damn, even Windows 7 doesn't come with a built in download manager, let alone one which comes in command line form :D

Time to install IE Pro on Windows 7
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Now we should submit feedback to MS for including a CLI download manager:p

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
@gxsaurav

I don't know it's a compliment or a taunt...but here is the complete output of my Ubuntu terminal.....downloading @ around 60KBps with ETA around 12h 6m....I need the suc****** serial key....any other way of getting it.....

root@station3:/data/isos/windows7beta1# wget -c *wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/downloa...00_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso
--2009-01-10 01:05:22-- *wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/downloa...00_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso
Resolving wb.dlservice.microsoft.com... 125.252.226.200
Connecting to wb.dlservice.microsoft.com|125.252.226.200|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily
Location: *wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/down...00_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso [following]
--2009-01-10 01:05:22-- *wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/down...00_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso
Reusing existing connection to wb.dlservice.microsoft.com:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 206 Partial Content
Length: 2618793984 (2.4G), 2602237276 (2.4G) remaining [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso'

1% [=> ] 4,91,68,538 69.0K/s eta 12h 6m

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The only way to get a serial key is through the beta testing partner program which all you guys are checking or through MSDN/Technet/Connect.

Why do u need the key? You can use Windows 7 without any key or activation for 4 month easily. Unless you plan to submit bugs to Microsoft you do not need the key or to activate Windows 7.

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
See the irony of the story....People require Linux to download Windows..... :D :D :D

Why do u need the key? You can use Windows 7 without any key or activation for 4 month easily. Unless you plan to submit bugs to Microsoft you do not need the key or to activate Windows 7.

It's my long time dream to use genuine Windows product....

BTW thanks for the info about 4 months stuff...but I guess it will be better to have the key and live in peace for the last 2 months as well.....

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ Not people. There are some Linux users who are so desperate to try Windows that they are using whatever they have to get their hands on it. ;) So much for irony.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
See the irony of the story....People require Linux to download Windows..... :D :D :D

Correction plz, what you are downloading is a beta version of Windows which is available through download only. If you want to use Windows 7 on a PC with no OS installed then you need to wait for Microsoft to release the final version of Windows 7 in a Physical Boxed package, the way Windows 7 is supposed to be distributed.

By the time Windows 8 comes, Windows 7 SP1 will be out & motherboards will switch to EFI, in this case you won't need any OS to download Windows. Just boot into EFI, Partition the hard disk & connect to net to download Windows 7 VHD or ISO. After this, just open the ISO or VHD & Windows will automatically start the installation. This will be OS indipendent method. You will also be able to install Linux same way through EFI

It's my long time dream to use genuine Windows product....

In that case please buy Windows legally from a retail shop near you. The key you get will be for Beta version only & will not install on Windows 7 final version.

Last edited:

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
BAD NEWS:

Windows Server is too heavily loaded.....not being able to download with old url any more........

New Direct Download Links which will work without any problem:

Ok u also seem to have changed the extension from "iso" to "ISO". So restarted the download with this new url and it's working like breeze so far....... :D :D

Last edited:

abhi.eternal

In search of light...
i can download the ISO easily!! but not doing it... just installed XP after vista crashed after about 6 months (thankfully!!) and do not want to do another reinstall... no, not even with dual-boot!! just curious, will W7 run on 512 MB RAM?... in case you are wondering, i have 1 gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom