McAfee Or Kaspersky Or NOD???

Status
Not open for further replies.

afonofa

Journeyman
I thought I would email it if it was small but the database size for the very first update after installation, is 39.2Mb! I zipped it and it went down to 31.1Mb. So I split the file and uploaded it on rapidshare and here are the links:
KIS2009update.zip
KIS2009update.z01
KIS2009update.z02
KIS2009update.z03
KIS2009update.z04
KIS2009update.z05
KIS2009update.z06

This database(and application program modules) update is for KIS 2009 v8.0.0.454 as on 23rd Sept. 2008.
Code:
unzip to Desktop(or elsewhere), it unzips a folder, 'Update distribution'
> right click KIS in system tray 
> settings 
> update 
> settings button 
> source tab 
> click Add and add the unzipped folder 
> uncheck Kaspersky Lab's update servers 
> OK 
> OK 
> click update
Now it should update from the specified folder. I tested this and found that this updates all the databases(banners, phishing sites, spam, malicious scripts, suspicious scripts and network attacks) except for the Malware database. So after the update finishes it will still say, databases are obsolete but if you check the date, then its only the malware database which isn't updated.

To update malware database you will have to update from Kaspersky Lab's servers. But this time the update size is only 5Mb :) and I dont think there would be a problem downloading that. After you updated from the local folder reverse the steps so KIS is set to update from Kaspersky Lab's servers.

Code:
right click KIS in system tray 
> settings 
> update 
> settings button 
> check Kaspersky Lab's update servers 
> delete local folder from the list 
> OK 
> OK 
> click update

and KIS will now update the 5Mb required to get all the databases upto date. I have some free Mb to use up for this month anyway :D you are welcome, I hope this works for you.

vishrut

Right off the assembly line
Well, KIS is not that much good as the anti-virus and moreover the previous versions of KAV 2009 and KIS 2009 had bugs which prevented it from updating itself. McAfee is a good anti-virus but there are some viruses which search for anti-viruses installed on the system and then corrupt the installation (W32.HIDRAG did the same thing) and McAfee being one of the most common antiviruses dies in this situation. NOD is also a good anti-virus but in the present scenario it has grown too old. So, all in all, Kaspersky's the best!!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
And when you buy McAfee, only buy Virus Scan Plus= Virus Scanner + Firewall
Forget about any other product of theirs.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
It's a standalone software that detects & deletes some of the most common Trojans & Viruses (around 236 by the current one). Pretty cool, I'm using it right now in my college to clean the machines for our LAN gaming event. Big PITA.

thnx, best of luc for the event

OP
H

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
I thought I would email it if it was small but the database size for the very first update after installation, is 39.2Mb! I zipped it and it went down to 31.1Mb. So I split the file and uploaded it on rapidshare and here are the links:
KIS2009update.zip
KIS2009update.z01
KIS2009update.z02
KIS2009update.z03
KIS2009update.z04
KIS2009update.z05
KIS2009update.z06

This database(and application program modules) update is for KIS 2009 v8.0.0.454 as on 23rd Sept. 2008.
Code:
unzip to Desktop(or elsewhere), it unzips a folder, 'Update distribution'
> settings 
> update 
> settings button 
> source tab 
> click Add and add the unzipped folder 
> uncheck Kaspersky Lab's update servers 
> OK 
> OK 
> click update
Now it should update from the specified folder. I tested this and found that this updates all the databases(banners, phishing sites, spam, malicious scripts, suspicious scripts and network attacks) except for the Malware database. So after the update finishes it will still say, databases are obsolete but if you check the date, then its only the malware database which isn't updated.

To update malware database you will have to update from Kaspersky Lab's servers. But this time the update size is only 5Mb :) and I dont think there would be a problem downloading that. After you updated from the local folder reverse the steps so KIS is set to update from Kaspersky Lab's servers.

Code:
right click KIS in system tray 
> settings 
> update 
> settings button 
> check Kaspersky Lab's update servers 
> delete local folder from the list 
> OK 
> OK 
> click update
and KIS will now update the 5Mb required to get all the databases upto date. I have some free Mb to use up for this month anyway :D you are welcome, I hope this works for you.

Thanks man.... tried downloading them from rapidshare yesterday with my GPRS... Guess what, didn't happen!!!! Pathetic download speeds!!! :D:D:D:D

In will go and download it from a cyber-cafe today!!

Thanks a lot man!!! ;)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Did I hear someone's computer got infected :D

Ontopic: I think Norton has come back, currently the paid ones may opt for it.

But I'm always amazed by Avira, how come they always have such a good score. It's one of the best antivirus + add Comodo Pro 3 firewall too

afonofa

Journeyman
If you buy KIS with 2 friends, then its much cheaper(~Rs.650 per person) than Eset Smart Security or Norton Internet Security(priced too high).

@hell_storm2006 i hope you can download the 5.xMb that KIS needs to update its malware database, on your GPRS connection.

OP
H

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
If you buy KIS with 2 friends, then its much cheaper(~Rs.650 per person) than Eset Smart Security or Norton Internet Security(priced too high).

@hell_storm2006 i hope you can download the 5.xMb that KIS needs to update its malware database, on your GPRS connection.

Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate it! I have updated all the databases. I will enter my KIS 2009 serial tomorrow to get rid of virus problems for a year. I got the 3 user suite for just Rs. 500. Bought it along with my two room mates. I was the only one left for the update! But i hope my bsnl broadband connection comes soon. I have applied for it!! :D

I have KIS 2009 updated and entered the Key. Although the key is for KIS 2008. But it works for 2009 as well.
But more importantly I had bought the 3 user KIS 2008 pack and guess what.... Currently 4 people are using the key!!! Me, my two room mates and my girlfriend!!! :D :D :D
I don't know how did this happen but its working. Two of them are using the KIS 2008 version and me and one of my room mates have KIS 2009!!!! :mrgreen:

Just one question... If in the future I have to format my Hard Disk and re-install Windows. Can I use the same Key again???? :confused:

Last edited:

mad_max

Journeyman
keep kasper lol but have to say i'm not very impressed with kis 8's firewall well you can just turn it off and use zone alarm so its all good:)

comp@ddict

no point, KIS's firewall is much stronger than Zone Alarms, and its wiser to stay wid just one Software.

And yees Bit Defender does it too, but last time I used bit defender to save my comp from a virus, paloosh and that was the result, KIS solved everything

appu

Knowledge Nomad
yup kis is the best and i am saying after using norton for 3 yrs and testing all free once like avast and avg....and the paid once[nod, mcafee...] and kis is best one avaliable.
just instal the kis 2009 version and ur safe as long as u keep updating it.

comp@ddict

for all you Kaspersky fan visit this blog at *kasperskysucks.blogspot.com/

I personally recommend Trend micro 2009, which now loads real fast and is also very light on Cpu . Norton's 2009 suit claims are tall, i really wont care if it installs in less than a minute or waht ever - ive had problems with it in the past - and will neva want to try it on my system ever !!

KASPERSKY ROCKS

Add that virus to ur head

abhijangda

Padawan
it seems that your connection is slow, all you have to do is that download cumulative update, weekly update from kaspersky site. Then update your antivirus using these downloaded update by following the steps described on site. Now update ur database. size will be 800Kb as compared to earlier of 10 mb.

mad_max

Journeyman
well kis8's firewall is too integrated with every other module,maybe its your thing but its not mine:S only reason i'm not running another firewall is to keep things simple.
Other than that it rox:D and do upgrade to kis8 cuz kis7 has some issues which kl never fixed

afonofa

Journeyman
If you prefer ZoneAlarm, you can install it with KIS v8. You just have to install KIS first without its application filtering+firewall component and then install ZoneAlarmPro(KIS should be disabled, exited and not loading at startup during ZAP's installation).

The free version of ZA is the ZA internet security suite with its internet security features disabled, until you enter a purchased key. So you cannot install ZA free with KIS v8.

But you can have:
Code:
1. [B][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]KIS v8 + ZAP v8[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] (has it all except KIS's firewall and application filtering)

OR

2. [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]KAV v8 + ZAP v8[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] (doesn't have KIS's virtual keyboard, parental control, antispam[COLOR="Red"][ZAP doesn't have antispam][/COLOR])
I don't know if they fixed a false positive, but last time I checked, there was a ZAP v8 file, 'framewrk.dll' which was getting deleted by KIS v8. So you may want to add that file to KIS exclusions or ZAP won't start. (ZA v8 is lighter and faster than ZA v7)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom