Maharashtra bans beef, 5 years jail, Rs 10,000 fine for possession or sale

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
i was taking a dig. ;)
but the notification of the amendment and the new bill and law are yet to come in print and online i guess, and we don't yet know the clauses and terms with absolute surety. media-reports still somewhat differ. AFAIK, the terms for the 1976 bill and the new amended one are still against 'slaughter', and now inclusion of punishment for possession. yes, risk of false implication is there. will get to know if appropriate steps to prevent such an occurrence have been taken or not when we can read it online. the picture would be clear better about other aspects too then.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Thing is, nature made us omnivore. So, this ban is inappropriate. Survival of the fittest or whatever. Why do people forget there is nothing such as a "god" and there is nothing "holy".

Heck if you want to ban all animal meat, ban milk and eggs too. Afterall, you are leaving the calves undernourished by consuming cow's milk. Stupid voter-bank politics.

I will eat whatever I want to. Why discriminate people on the basis of what they eat? -_-

How does humans consuming cow's milk leave calves undernourished ? Granted there would be some cruel people who will underfed calves to sell more milk.
Domestic cows produce more milk than calf can drink,plus excess milk can cause diarrhea to it.Rest can be utilized.
Chicken,fish,goat-meat,lamb are consumed some magnitudes higher than beef and are unlikely to be banned.

its somewhat surprising (and still, not much) to see the reactions of people as if some terrible disaster has struck! the law is not something new, and has been in place since 1976. it has only been extended & made stricter. till atleast 2005, courts here have ruled in favour of such decisions, even on total prohibition.
Absolutely.Many such decisions have gone in favor of protection of cow in the past,from agricultural,economical and ecological aspects.In fact 2005 decision in a way showed that an alive cow was far more beneficial than a dead one in the context then.Lot of cows are illegally stolen and traded to Bangladesh from India.It's an economic loss, holiness,religious nonsense be kept aside.

Here's a somewhat sensible article: Misdirected outrage over #BeefBan: Calm down, you weren't eating it anyway - Firstpost

amjath

Human Spambot
How does humans consuming cow's milk leave calves undernourished ? Granted there would be some cruel people who will underfed calves to sell more milk.
Domestic cows produce more milk than calf can drink,plus excess milk can cause diarrhea to it.Rest can be utilized.
Chicken,fish,goat-meat,lamb are consumed some magnitudes higher than beef and are unlikely to be banned.

Absolutely.Many such decisions have gone in favor of protection of cow in the past,from agricultural,economical and ecological aspects.In fact 2005 decision in a way showed that an alive cow was far more beneficial than a dead one in the context then.Lot of cows are illegally stolen and traded to Bangladesh from India.It's an economic loss, holiness,religious nonsense be kept aside.

Here's a somewhat sensible article: Misdirected outrage over #BeefBan: Calm down, you weren't eating it anyway - Firstpost

Come on bro, if you even trade all cattles from west Bengal to bangladesh for a month then also some cattle's will be left for next month. Also this ban is only for Maharashtra, we all know what community based political parties are there, it's clear that there is only one motive for this which cow is a holi animal

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker

yes, that court ruling was quite detailed on it. and the religious and cultural reasons were also attributed to the animal in guise for economic & household-utility reasons ('kaamdhenu'). one thread in this section here has a direct-indirect relationship to the present bill and what the govt.'s hinting at. ;)
more on the dirty-o-nomics of the issue are presented in the following article. though i don't entirely agree on a point or two of it, but its worth a read for the info it puts across; its a very short article, won't consume much time (and written by a beef-eater):

Beefonomics India 101 - TOI Blogs

PETA is killing animals. Some weird reasoning. Looks like church of scientology.

sorry, didn't quite get you. i checked about it. am not aware much about PETA and its doings, but have my reservations against atleast some of its calls. seems more like a radical marketing agency, and that looks the other way around when its celebrities don't do what they preach. but hiding behind & seeking refuge in others' antics to find excuses would be a still unpleasant & abnormal justification to keep continuing with (the) savagery.

Last edited:

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Come on bro, if you even trade all cattles from west Bengal to bangladesh for a month then also some cattle's will be left for next month. Also this ban is only for Maharashtra, we all know what community based political parties are there, it's clear that there is only one motive for this which cow is a holi animal
Mate,it's not only West Bengal other states like Odisha, are also involved.And if all cattle stocks of a state are traded legally or illegally it would be a loss from many aspects.Is the only role they have is being served as beef? Not only milk,ghee and other milk products they also are assisting in medicine,manure,bio-gas,bio-pesticides,etc.
2005 SC judgement was good on the grounds of economic,ecological reasons..that's enough..religious stuff comes secondary.

Anyway it is a ban only in Maharashtra(that's what the article in my previous post also focuses on and we have misdirected comments like 'all forms of meat be banned' and other stuffs,please see not all forms of beaf is banned and nothing new has taken place in this recent ban wrt to "cow"..the concerns from both sides(animal right activists and the one in favor of eating beef) are raised in that article).

[MENTION=120775]GhorMaanas[/MENTION] it's a good article,highlights some of the aspects that many people are either unaware or overlook.

$hadow

Geek in making
^^You made a good point there. Now what exactly has govt made the provision for checking it out if it is mutton or beef.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
I have never consumed beef but even i completely oppose this new law. India is supposed to be a progressive nation but such laws blinded by blind faith and stemming from religious beliefs is utterly regrettable.
Such backwards thinking is not going to help anyone.There are FAR more important laws that our country needs to make rather than focusing on these trivial things.

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
I have never consumed beef but even i completely oppose this new law. India is supposed to be a progressive nation but such laws blinded by blind faith and stemming from religious beliefs is utterly regrettable.
Such backwards thinking is not going to help anyone.There are FAR more important laws that our country needs to make rather than focusing on these trivial things.

So according to you killing animals for there beef and all is a sign of being progressive(sic)?

Faith or not. Killing of animals should be avoided at all cost. You have a bigger brain and have power and means to kill innocent animals doesn't make you progressive. Feelings like empathy, sympathy etc are the main pillars on which a progressive society should be based on and that includes plants and animals as well.

But, with your limited thinking killing of animals unnecessarily is the sign of an advanced society. I completely disagree to your point of view.

Have you ever heard about ecological balance? Do you know that in coastal regions in the past farmers used to fish only the quality they needed. They also used to feed them and make sure that there future generations have enough sustenance opportunity. Also, nothing used to lay to waste. Even the bones and skin of the animals that were killed were used in one way or the other.

But, now, people like your kind of mantality kill mindlessly for profit. So many species have been made extinct because you think they are not worth the time and effort.

Atleast here one of the main sources of wastage would be kept out. Preservation is extremely important. Because human thirst knows no boundaries.

If government won't have made it illegal to cut trees in the cities. Then there won't have been a single tree left. And your kind of people were behind the bad situation of the environment and ecology.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
So according to you killing animals for there beef and all is a sign of being progressive(sic)?

Faith or not. Killing of animals should be avoided at all cost. You have a bigger brain and have power and means to kill innocent animals doesn't make you progressive. Feelings like empathy, sympathy etc are the main pillars on which a progressive society should be based on and that includes plants and animals as well.

But, with your limited thinking killing of animals unnecessarily is the sign of an advanced society. I completely disagree to your point of view.

Have you ever heard about ecological balance? Do you know that in coastal regions in the past farmers used to fish only the quality they needed. They also used to feed them and make sure that there future generations have enough sustenance opportunity. Also, nothing used to lay to waste. Even the bones and skin of the animals that were killed were used in one way or the other.

But, now, people like your kind of mantality kill mindlessly for profit. So many species have been made extinct because you think they are not worth the time and effort.

Atleast here one of the main sources of wastage would be kept out. Preservation is extremely important. Because human thirst knows no boundaries.

If government won't have made it illegal to cut trees in the cities. Then there won't have been a single tree left. And your kind of people were behind the bad situation of the environment and ecology.
wow ! so cows were going to extinct from the face of earth if beef was not banned in Maharashtra?People have been consuming meat for centuries ,why there are still cattle around?
What about the people employed in the business?Who will give them jobs?
what about leather products?
what does a farmer do whe the cow/bull is not productive?should he let them wait to die or sell it buy another one?
How do you justify killing of herbivores by carnivores or can we ask them to stop killing?
How many progressive societies are there that you know that doesn't eat meat?
If none ,what is "being progressive"?

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
Just a quick but wierd question : According to you is it okay to eat dog meat ?
Let's say , if its tasty and healthy , would you eat it ? If not , then why so ?

[ ps : I am sort of vegeterian. ]

Meat is meat be it from Cow,goat,sheep or fish.

- - - Updated - - -

In case , if it had enough yeild ? Would you love to kill a dog and eat it ?
Just like how it is done with cows .

People have different preference even people from different part of world take dog meat.

I think this whole law thing is targeted towards particular community which is bad no law should be made like this It will surely affect unity of country.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'd listen to you if you are growing and consuming your own grain and vegetables.

If you are going out and buying fruits, vegetables and grain...then I guess you very well know how they are produced. Insecticides and pesticides. Preserve?

The 21st century vegetarians of India are also in the same boat no matter how you put it up.

If you come up with one proper reason for preferring vegetarian food, (oh I know many and I prefer veg food), I will fully support you.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I know this will sound childish, but people should follow this irrespective of the type of food barring cannibalism of course.

If I don't want to eat it, I will not kill it. If I kill it, I will eat it! That's my rule! - Toriko

Government shouldn't interfere in the eating habits of people unless an endangered species is involved.

Lets say, for example, you are a vegetarian and have a bundle of spinach, which is the last ever green plant and vegetarian food left on the Earth. The government, actually the world government, will try to secure it before the last source of oxygen is consumed and clone it on a ginormous scale. What would you do in the meanwhile? Die starving or eat non-veg to survive?

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Lets say, for example, you are a vegetarian and have a bundle of spinach, which is the last ever green plant and vegetarian food left on the Earth. The government, actually the world government, will try to secure it before the last source of oxygen is consumed and clone it on a ginormous scale. What would you do in the meanwhile? Die starving or eat non-veg to survive?

Although I agree with the general idea of what you just said, but that example is absolutely ridiculous.. Consider being locked in a room with a dead human being and you have nothing to eat.. What would you do ? Go cannibal or die starving ? Where do we draw the line ?

Anyway, Im a vegetarian and I disapprove of the decision to ban beef.. Why ban beef and not chicken and goat ? Is one animal life > another animal life ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Although I agree with the general idea of what you just said, but that example is absolutely ridiculous.. Consider being locked in a room with a dead human being and you have nothing to eat.. What would you do ? Go cannibal or die starving ? Where do we draw the line ?

That's a hypothetical question not many will encounter in reality. It's plausible that one will resort to cannibalism. Once you are deprived of food, the brain shuts down higher cognitive functions. Ultimately, it becomes a survival situation.

mitraark

Decrepit

I have spent a considerable amount of time living in suburban/rural regions. I have seen how cows and buffaloes are treated by the milkmen. There are many dairy farm/concentration camps for cattle nearby where i lived, the plight of those poor creatures is unknown to those who consume milk.

Cows are transported via Lorry, like rag toys, pushed and stuffed as much as possible inside the enclosure. That procedure itself is gruesome, some 3-4 people push a cow up a inclined piece of wood, hitting it with sticks and lashes. Some of them, mostly die due to suffocation from all the gas emissions from dung inside the truck. They are whipped to the point blood comes out of their body to keep in line while being walked to the farm. Calves are tied to a stick and carried inverted if their legs are too weak to walk. And I haven't even come to the milking part. Calves get absoultely no access to cow milk, they are fed with dry hay and grass. Cows are milked to the last drop, fiesty cows are tied down and hit if needed. You'd need to see for yourself how bony a cow can get to believe how miserable their lives are.

Similar arguments can be used for animal use in agriculture.

There is no such thing as absolute morality. We cannot be ethically right all the time. The world doesn't work that way.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
A ban after 17 years.. I don't know whether I should laugh at this rule or the time it took to impose this! :D

One of the major problem by banning something is, we are creating high demand for the item. If beef available legally price will be stable, but once it goes from regular item to novelty/rare item, price will go off the roof.

I don't eat beef, but this is height of lameness!

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
some updates and more info on the matter:

My govt’s decisions are not driven by religion: Devendra Fadnavis | The Indian Express

more here - ‘Ban on cattle slaughter has nothing to do with Muslims or Hindus’ | The Indian Express

Muslim chamber welcomes cow slaughter ban

last year - Muslim business chamber demands ban on beef export - IBNLive

vkl

Cyborg Agent
I have spent a considerable amount of time living in suburban/rural regions. I have seen how cows and buffaloes are treated by the milkmen. There are many dairy farm/concentration camps for cattle nearby where i lived, the plight of those poor creatures is unknown to those who consume milk.

Cows are transported via Lorry, like rag toys, pushed and stuffed as much as possible inside the enclosure. That procedure itself is gruesome, some 3-4 people push a cow up a inclined piece of wood, hitting it with sticks and lashes. Some of them, mostly die due to suffocation from all the gas emissions from dung inside the truck. They are whipped to the point blood comes out of their body to keep in line while being walked to the farm. Calves are tied to a stick and carried inverted if their legs are too weak to walk. And I haven't even come to the milking part. Calves get absoultely no access to cow milk, they are fed with dry hay and grass. Cows are milked to the last drop, fiesty cows are tied down and hit if needed. You'd need to see for yourself how bony a cow can get to believe how miserable their lives are.

Similar arguments can be used for animal use in agriculture.

There is no such thing as absolute morality. We cannot be ethically right all the time. The world doesn't work that way.

Yes,that happens in number of cases and its even worse when they are taken for butchering(the way they are killed),everything is not ideal like in places of Gujarat where they are taken proper care off with routine medical check ups as well(including dental check up,many common cattle diseases have been eradicated there) but that's not the basis to ban cow milk,neither am I technically against 'beef eating' due to some ethics/morals.From welfare point of view,Gujarat is perhaps the only state to implement cow protection act well enough.
You are right that we are not having everything ethically right but that's not the point here.Wasn't referring to ethics/morals neither the news article in my that post talks of ethics.If ethics/morals are brought here this can go a long way.

Top Bottom