Kindly suggest a headphone [7.5-8K]

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Kindly suggest a headphone [12-13K]

First of all thanks for unlocking my account, much appreciated.

So I bought a Audio Technica M40X headphone few days ago, and I received the product today. I listened to it for half an hour or so, and the sound-stage is really dull for me. I mean the sound is confined and all the frequencies seem to be mixed up, there is no distinctiveness between different frequencies :-x

I now have a Sony V55, this came free with my TV, and that is what I was using for past two and a half years, other than it is not a comfortable headphone at all, I really really like how this headphone sounds, but unfortunately it broke last month, so had to buy another one. So basically a headphone which will have even better sound stage than V55 is what I am looking for, with same sound pattern (or whatever term you audiophiles use).

Now please please tell me what to buy. ATH M series is OUT OF QUESTION, cause this is not the sound I am looking for, this headphone is reminding of the IEM XB90 I had, same dull sound-stage, no clarity and all that! The headphone must be comfortable (M40X is pretty comfortable), it would be good if it has good isolation too, but as I see that good isolation might mean poorer sound, in that case I don't want isolation.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

Hrishi

From what I know the ATH-M Series aren't very comfortable initially due to considerable clamping force. They do tend to relax a bit after several hours of usage , but initially they are difficult on the skull.
If you hate M40x or any ATH M series monitors , you should seriously consider staying away from Studio Monitor cans with closed back. Most of them are designed to sound neutral with inside the head experience.

Also , if you are in for a larger or wider sound stage you should consider looking into Open-back headphones. The closed back cans will give you decent isolation but will most likely steal the wide stage you are looking for.
You will have to spend a fortune to get a pair of closed back cans that provide good isolation as well as wide sound stage.

Take this with a pinch of salt but Grado Sr80 type of headphones you might be interested in from my understanding. Detailed , Wide stage , comfortable.

Welcome back , btw.

Gollum

Collector
get this
Bose SoundSport 717534-0040 In-Ear Headphones for Samsung Galaxy Models, Green
Buy Bose SoundSport 717534-0040 In-Ear Headphones for Samsung Galaxy Models, Green Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in
*ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71dGQD20qkL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
[MENTION=140405]Hrishi[/MENTION]: I am not entirely sure whether I am going for open back headphones or not. I mean first I need to know how much sound do they leak more, in comparison with closed back headphones like my V55?

Linus's video about Open v/s Closed cans says that people around you will hear pretty much same as you, is he joking or real?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
No he isnt joking, open cans have better soundstage because of that.. You can see a lot of higher end cans are open cans ..
Typically, if you arent in a noisy environment and have no need for isolation, open cans are the way to go

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Lol okay, then have absolutely no interest in them. If they leak that much sound it isn't just my thing.

Have shorted between 2 headphones, HD 380 Pro and HD25, don't know which one I'll choose anyway. Might try to listen to some today after work...

Thanks anyway

tkin

Back to school!!
I'm not sure you'll like the M50x either, it has bass but a bit neutral overall, open backs are nice, care to try koss porta pro?

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I'm not sure you'll like the M50x either, it has bass but a bit neutral overall, open backs are nice, care to try koss porta pro?

Lol, absolutely not. Just like the XB series of Sony, this M series AT is now under my 'scary' list. I'll never even think about touching them. What I heard it still scares me.

Anyway, going to a Senn store tomorrow, to try out some, then I'll try to go to that store you told me, after listening to some open back headphones I'll be able to understand whether I want them or not. But if I have read and understood the technical aspects of it all right then no, I don't want them.

I have gathered info that AKG K550 is a good closed back can, as well as Beyer DT770, but unfortunately both of them are out of my budget, and I think that the HD380 Pro is the next best contender for closed backs, so that's my top choice now.

Hrishi

[MENTION=99398]ithehappy[/MENTION] , from what I can read about the V55 headphones over the internet is that they carry considerable amount of bass in them , whereas you are against something which carries bass. Not sure how you end up liking them.
The Sound signature is not flat either , more like V shaped ,and they are closed back so the sound stage shouldn't be too great either.

Just wondering what kind of sound output you are looking for. :lol:

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Re: Kindly suggest a headphone [12-13K]

Well then that V shaped sound is what I'm looking for! I don't know all these technical terms, but the V55 sounds much more fuller, and detailed than the M40X. Bass is strong yes, but it only comes when there's bass, other times it's just a normal like headphone I think.

With M40X everything seems muffled, like all the people, the music, all of them are coming from inside a plastic bag, meh!

Last edited:
Well then that V shaped sound is what I'm looking for! I don't know all these technical terms, but the V55 sounds much more fuller, and detailed than the M40X. Bass is strong yes, but it only comes when there's bass, other times it's just a normal like headphone I think.

With M40X everything seems muffled, like all the people, the music, all of them are coming from inside a plastic bag, meh!
That is because M40x is over the ear. While V55 is on ear(Supra-aural to be specific). Gives a better soundstage due to that. If thats the case, you aint gonna like any sennheisers either. Try them out tho. Look for listing to other on the ear ones, to check if thats what you want.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well I don't have any problems with on ear in that case, better sound-stage is what I want obviously. The only problem with on ear, or at least with my V55 is the comfort issue, its really painful to wear these cans for long period, and if I am not wrong then I am sure that on ear will never be as comfortable as over the ear ones.

Thanks for your input though, didn't know because of the shape of on ears their sound stage could be better.

ratul

█████████████████
The closest that i can recommend to you barring the budget are Sennheiser HD598, open back, one of the most comfortable headphones i have tried, large soundstage, quite netural (found them slightly bass light though) and good sound separation, kinda have similarities with my SHP8900. But way out of your budget, used to be close to ₹13000 a couple of years back online.
Within 10k, can't remember anything that fits your bill if you didn't liked M40X, but try to find HD558 in that price range.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well I am trying to avoid Open back ones, there are plenty options there in that segment I think, but I want closed back.

rakeshhkuma90

Journeyman
The SoundMAGIC BT20 Bluetooth Headphone has a sound signature which SoundMAGIC is perhaps best known for. They are certainly tuned for a fun sound.

Being wireless, these headphones are perfect for many activities and sporting pursuits; their light yet strong construction means they'll avoid any loneliness for the long distance runner.

There's a great sense of space and despite the elevated levels of bass and treble, the mid-range stands up to be counted. Harmonics are enjoyable and there's a good sense of balance with the bass level. The two complement each other very well.

Well I am trying to avoid Open back ones, there are plenty options there in that segment I think, but I want closed back.
You can not get the pleasurable soundstage with closed backs. Why dont visit a few stores and hear them first hand. its better that way, because its difficult to understand what you actually want.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
You can not get the pleasurable soundstage with closed backs. Why dont visit a few stores and hear them first hand. its better that way, because its difficult to understand what you actually want.

Yeah I know, but time is an issue here mate. I have been meaning to go to audition some for last three days, but just couldn't manage. And about closed back ones, well this V55 is a closed back one right? But I love it! However it could be because of that on ear design like you mentioned, but still its closed back nevertheless.

In any case I have upped my budget for the headphone, anything around 12-13k is now all right.

Top Bottom