Is it wise to buy Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V?

damnthenet

Journeyman
Hi friends,

I had been planning to buy a good android smartphone to replace my N70 (Yes. The same old Nokia N70 :-D ) for over 3 months and searching for the optimum phone with the following features:

1. HD Video recording and LED flash for still photos
2. Good screen size (at least 3.7 inch)
3. Solid build (Note that this is because of my dearness to N70 and the fact that I drop my phone occasionally)
4. Front cam (for video calls)
5. Good music player
6. HDMI port
7. Budget < 20k

I had made up mind to get the HTC IS and was actually waiting for it to reduce to around 20k.

But today, looking at the features of Sony Ericsson Neo V at a price of 17.5k, I feel it is the best one to buy.

What do you guys feel?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Regards,
Daniel

Last edited:

socrates

In the zone
Recently I checked out the SE India site for its service centers in my area & I found a particular shop ,which has shut shop about 3 years ago :( This tells me a lot about this company incidentally I still use a SE phone :) I would be very leery about opting for a SE phone now also I have heard horror stories about their quality of service in Mumbai, people have actually sold their phones as junk rather than go to the service centers even though their phones were in warranty & opted for new phones :(

Sarath

iDota
I haven't seen much failure rates in SE phones. Having said that after sales service is very important.

About the phone, even I liked it a lot and was about to buy it but am a bit worried about the bulk.

OP
damnthenet

damnthenet

Journeyman
I belong to Chennai. Does anyone know about Sony service in Chennai?

Regarding the OS update, I can mod the phone after some time (say 6 months).

Sarath

iDota
Android = HTC OR SAMSUNG

look no beyond...they suck in service (OS Updates)

I belong to Chennai. Does anyone know about Sony service in Chennai?

Regarding the OS update, I can mod the phone after some time (say 6 months).

Sony is releasing their updates much faster than others now. 2.3.4 is already out for SE devices and custom ROM developer scene is also active for the flagship SE phones

They have learnt from the X10's mistakes. Don't spam them for their previous births sins :))

socrates

In the zone
Just heard that Samsung is introducing the Galaxy W in India for around 17k. I hope it comes soon.

I haven't seen much failure rates in SE phones. Having said that after sales service is very important.

About the phone, even I liked it a lot and was about to buy it but am a bit worried about the bulk.

Agree with you I still use my K750i :)

clmlbx

Technomancer
you should also look for Samsung Galaxy s and Se Xperia Ray @ same range..and I believe Even Moto Defy+ is also around ur budget

tkin

Back to school!!
I think Xperia ray is better? Not a phone freak though, the phone just looks so sexy.

OP
damnthenet

damnthenet

Journeyman
Just heard that Samsung is introducing the Galaxy W in India for around 17k. I hope it comes soon.

Both Galaxy W and Neo V look the same in terms of spces. However, Galaxy W has an ace up the sleeve with its 4 GB internal memory. Neo V only has 320 MB of internal memory, but has HDMI port (Galaxy W doesn't seem to have HDMI!). But yes. It's definitely worth waiting and watching till it launches in India. By that time, maybe, I will have good reviews of Neo too!!

Thanks Socrates for your suggestion.

you should also look for Samsung Galaxy s and Se Xperia Ray @ same range..and I believe Even Moto Defy+ is also around ur budget

Samsung Galaxy S lacks flash, HDMI, etc which I think is a must for a 19k phone.
Motorola Defy + cannot be compared with Neo V as it lacks HD video, front cam, HDMI, etc...

I think Xperia ray is better? Not a phone freak though, the phone just looks so sexy.

Xperia ray is good but its screen size is only 3.3 inch. I have been spoiled by seeing the specs of the latest phones that sport 4, 4.3, 4.65 inches :-D. I would like a screen 3.7 - 4 inches.

Soumik

Padawan
Wait for a few more months... i have a hunch that Galaxy R pricing will reduce to around 22K within this year.. :)
Galaxy W will be releasing too this year... but for now,
Neo V is a very good option for you.

OP
damnthenet

damnthenet

Journeyman
Planning to wait till next week..

Once Diwali is over, I believe the prices of other mobiles in this category (if not Neo because it's already best price) may come down. They I will be able to decide.

rohit18rs

Journeyman
Neo v is a excellent choice
Also, its online price is around 18000

However, till Diwali adexmart.com is selling Neo V at 15490.. At this price i would say that do not wait and go for it... with specs of neo at this price its a killer deal :)

OP
damnthenet

damnthenet

Journeyman
I have ordered Neo V in Adexmart at an unbelievable price of 15490!

Thought of waiting till Diwali...
But couldn't resist both the phone and the price at Adexmart!

Top Bottom