Is iPhone more VFM than Droids?

Sarath

iDota
I am a sole Android user in my family with the rest going the iOS way. I have always known that Android is more capable than iOS but lately I have been thinking is it really true?

Having observed androids for nearly 3 years now, a few things are very apparent, most strangely my pondering over whether the overpriced iPhones are more VFM.

A 3 year old iPhone 4 will receive the iOS7 update but a 1 year old droid may not necessarily receive the latest Android update.

A 3 year old iP4, with a single core proc is still selling and is usable in this age but a 3 year old droid with same specs will be an instant dud.

Droids have fancy features like live wallpapers, active tiles, widgets, numerous background apps but to save battery lifewe turn all of them off. So what is the advantage really? This occurred to me when my brother was showing me the "dynamic wallpaper(?)" on the iOS7 and I was like its been on Android for ages but no one uses it 'coz its a battery hog.

Iphones are definitely built very well. Indeed one glance at my droid will tell its age but my brothers iP4 looks no older than my dads iP4s bought much later. Samsung phones just fall apart after 2 years. I have a Sony one and it is no better.

A lot of apps don't run on my phone due to internal memory issues or some other weird problem I do not understand. The newer phone don't seem to have this problem but I never understood why Android had this problem when even Symbian OS allows you to install apps on the memory card.

-------

In short, iPhones are supported longer with updates, stay functional longer, are more durable (lol?), have better battery life and have a better app quality selection.

I have always found any phone above 30k to be an unnecessary expense. But if I had to it looks like I would have to opt for an iPhone (if I can afford one)

---------

In the end, as an Android user, I have to say that iOS sucks :p (seriously)
no torrents, no mkv, no direct downloads, no file manager, no mass storage, can't even edit number on the call screen

Hrishi

If I were to choose, I would still go for a latest Iphone over a latest droid.
The main reason being the hassle free support , and stable performance with durability.

Being able to customize and have all the sort of experiments going on the phone is also desirable and for that purpose I will still buy a droid as a secondary phone/tablet. But as a primary device , IPhone is way to go.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yep more vfm simply because it lasts 2-4 years easily without problems.
Can continue using even after that

ankush28

Bazinga
if i won't have any budget limit then latest iphone + best android available will be my choice....
but if i am limited to one phone then only android as its moddable, user friendly(for me).
Now lets talk about updates...
Galaxy Nexus also got 4.3 Update and running smoothly....
In samsung/HTC/sony we should not ask for 4.3 as it launches...main reason people dont even try to umderstand is all those brand use their own theamed/tweaked firmwares... so obviously it takes more time to make more featurerich as well as bug free update.
No doubt about Nexus series they always get timely updates/bug fixes.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Fragmentation is to be blamed. Lesser the devices, better the software support.

Apple doesn't targets nos (sales); they target people, which in turn gives nos. And this simple theory doesn't goes past droid behemoths.

Sarath said:
can't even edit number on the call screen

Seriously ? :|

You forgot the bluetooth issue. I just can't handle the "embarrassment" when my 50k phone can't send a song over bluetooth. That's like marrying miss world and keep her locked in a room. :evil:

sksundram

In the zone
Well, I never own an android phone or an iPhone or any iOS running device but I have a fair bit of knowledge about them. I think there’s an odd 15-25K price difference b/w the flagship android phones from various vendors and iPhone. IMO there are 3 things to consider:
1. What you intend to do with your phone?
2. How much money you got?
3. Are you a show-off?

The first two point lets you decide the phone wisely and the third one lets you decide unwisely. Both the platform has its own pros and cons as you know. The important thing is which cons you can ignore and which pros you just can’t ignore.
I don’t think iPhone falls in VFM category. It’s for those who can afford it and can live with little or more cons it has to offer. No doubt it looks good and has the best eco-system.

Android has battery as well as update issues but is highly customisable. And then there are WPs too.
For some, features might not be as important as looks. Some would just want to make an impression in the office and some would like to dedicate his/her 5 hours daily on gaming but has limited amount to spend on a phone.
Consequently, it all comes to that three points I have mentioned above.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Uh show off lol
Ignoring refurbed, second hand phones that look new and work fine
Even 3gs that came a year before S works fine today.. These devices last incredibly long

For ios users, the cons are features. No file manager, no bluetooth file transfer, no mmc slots all simplify things and ensure rock solid performance.. No clutter, no time waste. There is no need for these things. Android should not have them too, and move faster to service based apps instead. How many songs can you store in your phone anyway? A radio app provides more songs while not even taking up the space of one.

sksundram

In the zone
Uh show off lol
Ignoring refurbed, second hand phones that look new and work fine
Even 3gs that came a year before S works fine today.. These devices last incredibly long

For ios users, the cons are features. No file manager, no bluetooth file transfer, no mmc slots all simplify things and ensure rock solid performance.. No clutter, no time waste. There is no need for these things. Android should not have them too, and move faster to service based apps instead. How many songs can you store in your phone anyway? A radio app provides more songs while not even taking up the space of one.

It could be for you that cons are features but could be a downer for some (like the op here). I am not against iPhone or in that case any other phone in particular. And some iPhone users are also android users and i am sure many do have wanted nifty android features in iPhone too and I have met lots of people (iPhone as well as android users) who confess that they have bought it just for show off, and that's OK (when you got it, why don't flaunt it)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Ios doesn't suck at all its just overpriced
By ur statement abt ios" seriously sucks" I think ur a 10 year old kid who just wants games on his phone
Android is a resource hog has tonns of malware and many more issues

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I donno, you can maybe flaunt a fly iF you are a flaunty kind of guy

Not everyone who has iphone buys it to flaunt it - it may actually be for how engaging and useful it is.

Android has a usability gap because no version in the entire life cycle is ever totally glitch/stutter/lag/ random happenings free

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Ohh and nexus 4 has 8gb internal mem and no sd slot still ppl think of it as a "god phone"
Who uses Bluetooth these days anyway and IMO 16gb is more than enough for good usage

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I have a Nexus 4 as of now. I have decided never to buy another Android with a skin. It is going to compete for longetivity with my Dads iP5. So lets see who wins in 3 years.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Who needs things !! Are you serious? At least a mmc is very very necessary. And what is the use of radio app if you don't have net ?

Ios doesn't suck at all its just overpriced
By ur statement abt ios" seriously sucks" I think ur a 10 year old kid who just wants games on his phone
Android is a resource hog has tonns of malware and many more issues

10 yr kid doesn't uses a file manager :p

Flash

Lost in speed
The only advantage i can think of iOS devices over any Android devices, is its resale value.
People are still happy to buy a second-hand iPhone 3GS/4, when it comes on sale.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
If the next iphone were to come with 4.7 in screen , i would immediately buy it ( Provided its 40-45k for 16 gb). The current screen size is too small i feel. On the other hand, ios beats android in app content, quality , diversity as well as having better battery life and stability.

The only advantage i can think of iOS devices over any Android devices, is its resale value.
People are still happy to buy a second-hand iPhone 3GS/4, when it comes on sale.

Agreed...........
Android phones have better features................ (for example: iTunes dependability sucks & i can't live without Bluetooth file sharing support in my 45k phone )

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
No nanoseconds wasted in looking at a screen of videos, docs, songs, photos and whatnot. Homescreen is file manager, every app is its own file manager. Open notes and you have only notes, not stuff to select from that you dont need.

No problem with app quality. Humble bundles almost make up. Problem is with content promotion.

Top Bottom