Is iPhone more VFM than Droids?

raksrules

Youngling
no torrents, no mkv, no direct downloads, no file manager, no mass storage, can't even edit number on the call screen

Just an FYI...
Own an iPhone 4S and it is jailbroken (yes you need to do that, almost same like rooting on android).

Torrents - I have iTransmission installed and it downloads Torrents well, Infact my iPad 2 is primarily used to download torrents because of its awesome battery capacity. No need to keep PC on.

Mkv - without jailbreak, there are tons of 3rd party players that support Mkv and loads of other formats. I daily use nplayer and before this used avplayer.

Direct downloads - I have safari download enabler and manager installer and chrome too has download manager for me.

File Manager- on the phone I have iFile installed, must have on any jailbroken iPhone.

Mass storage - no need to jailbreak, use the app, iFunbox to copy paste files on iPhone and use its memory as mass storage. I take my work data backup every month on my iPhone, just copy paste the folder from pc to phone using iFunbox.

Edit number - yes this cannot be done and I hate it.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
For ios users, the cons are features. No file manager, no bluetooth file transfer, no mmc slots all simplify things and ensure rock solid performance.. No clutter, no time waste. There is no need for these things.
Disagree :evil:

BTW Explain why there's a more than 100$ difference between 32 GB and 64 GB IP5S..
Its not like Apple packed in a super SSD inside IP5S.. Apple products are good but highly overpriced for what they offer

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Ohh and nexus 4 has 8gb internal mem and no sd slot still ppl think of it as a "god phone"
Who uses Bluetooth these days anyway and IMO 16gb is more than enough for good usage

:facepalm:
Nexus 4 has both 8 GB and 16 GB versions.
who uses bluetooth? :deadbored:
come back when you don't have network signal or data pack and want to transfer files wirelessly.

For ios users, the cons are features. No file manager, no bluetooth file transfer, no mmc slots all simplify things and ensure rock solid performance.. No clutter, no time waste. There is no need for these things. Android should not have them too, and move faster to service based apps instead. How many songs can you store in your phone anyway? A radio app provides more songs while not even taking up the space of one.

no file manager: this is dumb for a smartphone as even feature phones have file manager.
No bluetooth file sharing: Already explained above.
No mmc slot: it won't hurt to have some extra storage. if apple makes it available, people will buy only the base 16 gb version and this will cannibalize the sales of iphones of higher capacities. apple will not want that to happen.
same with the proprietary ports and other apple accessories. if apple provides normal micro usb port, people will buy better docks and speakers. who will want to buy an overpriced cr@p if they can get better alternatives at lesser price?

not everybody listens to every random song on the radio. people use normal FM radio on the phone instead of radio streaming apps.
If i want to listen songs of my choice, then a stupid phone should not restrict me to listen it because the radio app isn't working.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Not everybody argument is fair enough. If you are happy or unhappy with your own phone, that's ok. Being unhappy about somebody else's phone is just weird.

ksundar

Broken In
Android OS is highly customizable and user friendly,but may freeze occasionally.But.iOS is highly MONOTONUS,same old UI (may be iOS 7 has some color effect but same old wine in new bottle).

I can have my Android phone to announce caller name/phone number loudly and block a set of numbers beginning with +9***** and find out who is calling without taking my phone(Truecaller).

But iPhone only rrrrringss!

iOS 7 blacklist is tricky,not user friendly unlike iBlacklist of JB devices.Android is far better!

When you compare OS,Android is developing fast....we can see more stable transformation from Gingerbread to JellyBean! But iOS is almost same from day 1.

But when you compare the devices you can see the 'high' quality from iPhone.Phone may be good,but usage is monotony!

Android phones are available from Rs.3200(Zen U model) to 54,000(HTC One series) and the quality varies as per the budget.That's it.

Android wins all the way!

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
If i want to listen songs of my choice, then a stupid phone should not restrict me to listen it because the radio app isn't working.

Dhingana and Saavn lets you do that. So does spotify if you have account.

RIP flyte

nikufellow

In the zone
^ I wonder how it "wins all the way" if like you said it " FREEZES occasionally ". Isn't reliability the most important factor for something as personal as smartphones?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I dont get why people are bored with apple products' monotony. I mean installing live wallpapers is fun and cool for some time, later it feels kiddish. The most important function of a phone/tab are apps and apple here wins due to the diversity and quality of apps. In a perfect world, i would own an iphone and another premium android phone.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Exactly how is a file manager better than an app with a list of related files? What is it needed for?

moniker

Broken In
I won't buy an iPhone even if I have the money as I dread a life without logging in to XDA. :-(
The openness of Android has skewed my brain that much. :p

Hrishi

^ I wonder how it "wins all the way" if like you said it " FREEZES occasionally ". Isn't reliability the most important factor for something as personal as smartphones?

This... sums it up all.

I seriously feel like throwing my phone away when it freezes or causes bugs when talking or doing something really important.
I don't care how many f***ing features my smartphone has , but it seriously shouldn't cause bug at important tasks. ( Like talking to my GF or when in an important business meeting call with Boss . and when it hangs , I have to say "sorry , I gotta reboot my stuff up.Or patch it up. Would you care to spend a minute on break while I fix it up and call you back ?? ")
Or say you are making an online payment or web browsing or typing a F**ing big post for the sake of supporting your argument and the whole thing crashed. :fcuk:
For something personal and important , must be reliable.

Droids are geeks toys meant usually for Geeks and Techies who love to mess up their phones. They have a tendency to d that with every other gadget they have. They love the openness of their hardware and the extent to which they can customize it. And this because they can live with it. A techie whose phone went crazy because of some bug or experiment can fix it.

But for a normal user , who needs a smartphone can not and will not afford to live with those problems. All he wants is a smartphone which can live up to its tasks. No matter whether it can be hacked , cracked , exploited for customization or not. He is not a geek , he is a normal user.
If something goes wrong with his phone , he'll have a hell of time to fix and get it patched up.

Geeks want total control of their phone , so they love android.
A normal smartphone user wants a stable phone. So his phone calls doesn't gets disconnected , cellphone reboots , etc , while talking to his Girlfriend or things like that.

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
This... sums it up all.

I seriously feel like throwing my phone away when it freezes or causes bugs when talking or doing something really important.
I don't care how many f***ing features my smartphone has , but it seriously shouldn't cause bug at important tasks. ( Like talking to my GF or when in an important business meeting call with Boss . and when it hangs , I have to say "sorry , I gotta reboot my stuff up.Or patch it up. Would you care to spend a minute on break while I fix it up and call you back ?? ")
Or say you are making an online payment or web browsing or typing a F**ing big post for the sake of supporting your argument and the whole thing crashed. :fcuk:
For something personal and important , must be reliable.

Droids are geeks toys meant usually for Geeks and Techies who love to mess up their phones. They have a tendency to d that with every other gadget they have. They love the openness of their hardware and the extent to which they can customize it. And this because they can live with it. A techie whose phone went crazy because of some bug or experiment can fix it.

But for a normal user , who needs a smartphone can not and will not afford to live with those problems. All he wants is a smartphone which can live up to its tasks. No matter whether it can be hacked , cracked , exploited for customization or not. He is not a geek , he is a normal user.
If something goes wrong with his phone , he'll have a hell of time to fix and get it patched up.

Geeks want total control of their phone , so they love android.
A normal smartphone user wants a stable phone. So his phone calls doesn't gets disconnected , cellphone reboots , etc , while talking to his Girlfriend or things like that.

Lots of points for a Normal User !!!..

Does the normal user afford that sh!t ??

Heck my 9yrs old Nokia 1100 do things, what an iphone does without much of cost & privacy issues.
Also, i don't even need an App from App store to turn my Phone Torch or Flash on.

Also regarding the Glich you were talking about. Ain't your Windows crashes in laptop ?? or Desktop, when you are busy over skype or in a conf with your Boss or doing something critical ??

Did you move to iOS, just because Microsoft sucks or you just did install the P*rated one ??

Last edited:

Hrishi

Does the normal user afford that sh!t ??
What do you mean by that ?? A normal user is poor enough not to afford an Iphone ?? FYI , there are many rich people out there , much much richer than you and me , who don't know a thing about technology but still want to access Email , MMS , and couple of smartphone facilities on their smartphone.
Or if you misunderstood by meaning of saying normal , then let me remind you that it refers to "non-geek" users.

Heck my 9yrs old Nokia 1100 do things, what an iphone does without much of cost & privacy issues.
Also, i don't even need an App from App store to turn my Phone Torch or Flash on.
What's the logic here inserting 1100 in between ?? I am talking about smart phones here. I bet a majority of android phones also don't have that facility to switch on torches that way because they are touchscreen phones , with the intention of reducing as many physical keys as possible.
I really don't understand why you are even comparing a non-smartphone with a smartphone in a smartphone only discussion ??

Also regarding the Glich you were talking about. Ain't your Windows crashes in laptop ?? or Desktop, when you are busy over skype or in a conf with your Boss or doing something critical ??

Did you move to iOS, just because Microsoft sucks or you just did install the P*rated one ??
No , I don't personally own an Iphone yet but I have used them. The day I am bored and done with fixing these daily bugs and fiddling with my droid , I will move to IOS based phone. But right now , I have another simple phone I own to make calls and do important tasks.

Regarding Windows crash in laptop , well that's what I have to live with. My all office and study related work is dependent on windows. I also game a little bit , so Windows is all I got.
and I think you also know it very well how crap windows is compared to MAC OSx when it comes to stability and efficiency.

I could use a MAC , but I don't want to buy it . Because I really don't see a need for it at this moment. Maybe In future when stability becomes a real priority for me , I will give it a try ( In case windows gets crappier by then ).
ANd FYI , I use a genuine Windows. BTW , why do you connect IOS with Windows ? We talking about phones , right ??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW , let's not get personal over this. I hate people reminding me that I am also a User of MS Windows and Android due to certain reasons. :p
I am one of you , but I am telling you the views from the perspective of a rich Layman/non-techie. Think with an open mind.

Let's not pull money in B/W. OFC , IPhones are quite expensive than normal droid smart phones phones because of monopoly and better quality (build quality , customer support , R&D in design and Development ) up to an extent , but they do what they promise(They are simple and don't die so easily on you ).

d3p

PowerHouse
What do you mean by that ?? A normal user is poor enough not to afford an Iphone ?? FYI , there are many rich people out there , much much richer than you and me , who don't know a thing about technology but still want to access Email , MMS , and couple of smartphone facilities on their smartphone.
Or if you misunderstood by meaning of saying normal , then let me remind you that it refers to "non-geek" users.

Non-Geeks !! Normal !!. How the heck even they are related here ??

Also only Nerds or Non-Geeks uses apple devices or iOS ?? WT*

What's the logic here inserting 1100 in between ?? I am talking about smart phones here. I bet a majority of android phones also don't have that facility to switch on torches that way because they are touchscreen phones , with the intention of reducing as many physical keys as possible.
I really don't understand why you are even comparing a non-smartphone with a smartphone in a smartphone only discussion ??

Talking about smart phone, what it does btw ? What it takes for a Mobile to become smartphone ??

Having a Touchscreen makes a phone Smart ??
Having a GPS-Navigation, which shows you virtually impossible routes makes it smart ?
Having the worlds most shittest music SQ makes it smart ??
Having a pathetic camera quality makes it smart ??

Having a phone without any Blutooth FTP sucks, specially when you paid close to 30k odd.
Having a phone without File Browser is another thing.

Don't give me the same reason, you can use cloud to share your data ??
Data costs money with Indian Carriers honey. Moreover, not everyone one in India use 3G or to some extent has 3G in their locality.

Without a PC or MAC, iphone is just another POS.

No , I don't personally own an Iphone yet but I have used them. The day I am bored and done with fixing these daily bugs and fiddling with my droid , I will move to IOS based phone. But right now , I have another simple phone I own to make calls and do important tasks.

Believe it or not, the fault in your phone is your phone's incapability OR your deficiency not Andriod's.

My S3 is working fine since the day i bought it & never crashed even with the stock bloatware 4.1.2. Even the same case with Cynogen Mod too.

Regarding Windows crash in laptop , well that's what I have to live with. My all office and study related work is dependent on windows. I also game a little bit , so Windows is all I got.
and I think you also know it very well how crap windows is compared to MAC OSx when it comes to stability and efficiency.

Why ??

Ubuntu with open office can handle your study needs. It has PDF reader, Open Office & browser for normal usage.

I don't think you do some rocket science with your Window's OS ??

You also have steam in Linux, with hands full of inde games to keep you busy throughout the day.

Top of it, its Free.

I could use a MAC , but I don't want to buy it . Because I really don't see a need for it at this moment. Maybe In future when stability becomes a real priority for me , I will give it a try ( In case windows gets crappier by then ).
ANd FYI , I use a genuine Windows. BTW , why do you connect IOS with Windows ? We talking about phones , right ??

Now you are contradicting, with your own view. When you don't see a requirement of switching to MAC, from Windows [even if windows is buggy laggy whatsoever], as it suits or solves all your usage purpose on everyday.

Similarly, When a stock andriod can solve or suits your requirement, Why do you expect people to buy iphones & name it, its meant for Normal Peoples or Nerds ??

I compared MAC with Windows, just like the way you compared iOS x with Andriod.

Hrishi

Why ??

Ubuntu with open office can handle your study needs. It has PDF reader, Open Office & browser for normal usage.

I don't think you do some rocket science with your Window's OS ??

You also have steam in Linux, with hands full of inde games to keep you busy throughout the day.

Top of it, its Free.
Nope. My study requires me to have Windows for working of many tools and applications coded on .NET platform.
My work is sort of Sys. Admin ( WS2008 , and have to work with tools like Exchange Server , Active Directory and several applications relying on it.)

Not sure If I can replicate all these functions on linux Distro.

Now you are contradicting, with your own view. When you don't see a requirement of switching to MAC, from Windows [even if windows is buggy laggy whatsoever], as it suits or solves all your usage purpose on everyday.

Similarly, When a stock andriod can solve or suits your requirement, Why do you expect people to buy iphones & name it, its meant for Normal Peoples or Nerds ??

I compared MAC with Windows, just like the way you compared iOS x with Andriod.
I am sure you either don't read the complete statement or try not to understand the complete meaning of post. You just see a couple of words in a post , that suits your need to negate others and you start framing your own views on it. Accept it or not but that's what you are doing in last few posts.
When I have mentioned already that stability is not a requirement for me at the moment , I can live with Windows for my daily non-office/study related tasks. I can fix malwares and PC problems myself , so I don't need to panic for something else.
But what about someone who can't ?? A Mac would definitely prove better for him. It's easy , stable and less prone to problems.

I think the analogy you are giving here about MAC vs WIndows and IOs vs Android , you are probably supporting my views itself.
The reason why MAC and IOs are better and stable is because they are designed for specific hardware unlike Windows and AnDroid, which has to be installed on majority of devices with different configurations causing several issues.
Apply the same approach of Windows vs MAC to IPhone Vs Droids , and you'll get your answer.

Hrishi

Also it's practically easy to develop an application for Iphone than for other Android devices because of the fragmentation. Different devices make it harder for developing applications and providing support for them.

Believe it or not, the fault in your phone is your phone's incapability OR your deficiency not Andriod's.

My S3 is working fine since the day i bought it & never crashed even with the stock bloatware 4.1.2. Even the same case with Cynogen Mod too.

Huh.....the phone I am using was promised an updated version of Android 4.x from Motorola , right at the time it was being sold. Now once , they launched new set of phones they have simply rejected providing updated android to the series. This is very disturbing and has happened to a lot many different devices out there , some of which were in fact flagship devices year ago.
It instead released patches to gingerbread just to give customers a feel that it hasn't abandoned them yet.

Some of the applications can not be run on GB , unlike 4.x , even though the hardware is very much compatible and efficient to run it. They rejected it because of marketing strategy. And that's what happens to a majority of droid phones out there.

d3p

PowerHouse
I am sure you either don't read the complete statement or try not to understand the complete meaning of post. You just see a couple of words in a post , that suits your need to negate others and you start framing your own views on it. Accept it or not but that's what you are doing in last few posts.
When I have mentioned already that stability is not a requirement for me at the moment , I can live with Windows for my daily non-office/study related tasks. I can fix malwares and PC problems myself , so I don't need to panic for something else.

Problems is, we all have our own way at looking into each situation. I guess, you are just trolling around here with your own analogy. Again, it might be or might not.

But what about someone who can't ?? A Mac would definitely prove better for him. It's easy , stable and less prone to problems.

So you guess, someone who haven't used Linux, Windows or any other OS, can switch to MAC ??

Or you think, the person who used to Linux, Windows can switch to MAC & live happily coz, its simple & less prone to problems ??

:facepalm:

I think the analogy you are giving here about MAC vs WIndows and IOs vs Android , you are probably supporting my views itself.
The reason why MAC and IOs are better and stable is because they are designed for specific hardware unlike Windows and AnDroid, which has to be installed on majority of devices with different configurations causing several issues.
Apply the same approach of Windows vs MAC to IPhone Vs Droids , and you'll get your answer.

Again, the Problem with apple is to make money by fooling around.

Example :

Why [NORMAL/NON-GEEK/GEEKs/NERDS...exception Big MNC's] people prefers an assembled PC than a Pre-Assembled by HP, DELL or IBM ??

Dell, HP's & IBM's also does the same thing like Apple, building Hardware to suit end customers need. Still why do you prefer assembled ones ??

Why do gamers prefers an Custom assembled 100k rig over a 100k alienware ??

Ask yourself.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Have 2g. Radio, mmmorpgs (extra m is for mobile), youtube all work perfectly fine on 2g, especially if moving fast. 3g coverage is not there everywhere anyway. No unlimited 3g plans, too expensive if available at all
Vidcon needs 3g, restriction may be from app side
2g might even be more expensive depending on carrier and plan, but it is good enough
Constant connectivity is more critical than bandwidth

Top Bottom