installing linux!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
one word:apt updates package db if u do a "apt-get update" else,it remains the same.what special are u trying to say reg yum?

OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
Oh yea! U need to be connected to the internet. Just connect to the internet and follow the links casually. U'll understand everything urself.

are yaar i have already told i don't have Internet Connection on that system.........is there any other way...:-|

mediator

Technomancer
are yaar i have already told i don't have Internet Connection on that system.........is there any other way...:-|
Oh sorry, I must have missed/forgotten that part then. I thought all this time u were posting from fedora :D.

Neways, what do u mean by "that system". U mean u have 2 systems? If so why don't u share the internet connection?? If u need everything out of box, then u must install linux mint or ubuntu ultimate.....see the threads in digit club's open source section. I can't remember any fedora based distro that includes proprietary stuff out of box rt now.

U can do ur work/learn without internet too, as fedora comes with a lotsa programming stuff too. But for installing mp3 codecs/players,nvidia etc on fedora ,which doesn't bundle proprietary stuff by default, u need to have internet connection. So just get the net and all will be fine.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
I have earlier told you a simple way.

Yum is an automatic updater and package installer/remover for rpm systems. It automatically computes dependencies and figures out what things should occur to install packages. It makes it easier to maintain groups of machines without having to manually update each one using rpm.

If you don't have net access better use distro like Linux mint, because its very difficult for newbies to setup fedora without internet.

So Get linux mint
www.linuxmint.com

OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
isse aacha to linux dalta hi nahi............:mad:...kabhi Fedora kabhi ubuntu....ab mint

ok, which one of those ^^ should i d/l then. can you pls give me a torrent link for that.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
isse aacha to linux dalta hi nahi............:mad:...kabhi Fedora kabhi ubuntu....ab mint

ok, which one of those ^^ should i d/l then. can you pls give me a torrent link for that.
I though Choice is Good. But if you are handicapped to make a choice for Yourself. Remove Linux & Stick to windows.

That is good for you, You can't use Linux.

praka123

left this forum longback
@ayush:take ur time.
fedora is just fine.install it.just make a partition of 8GB for "/" and a 1 GB swap if u want suspend feature.if u dont want software suspend,make a 400MB swap enough.
then start installing fedora.boot into fedora hdd installation and configure internet,come here-we are ready to help u.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
fedora is just fine.install it.just make a partition of 8GB for "/" and a 1 GB swap if u want suspend feature.if u dont want software suspend,make a 400MB swap enough.
then start installing fedora.boot into fedora hdd installation and configure internet,come here-we are ready to help u.
+1

but he says he doesn't have internet on the machine he's loading fedora ???

OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz

thanks for your support. but the problem is the system on which i have Fedora is not connected to internet ( and i cannot connect :( ) . now i have decided not to install any media player and just use it for shell programming.

and if there is any other way of installing media player (without connecting to internet ) then pls let me know.

some more doubts

i follow Unix Programming by yashwant kanetkar for shell programming but again i m unable to execute all the commands.

like i cannot use 'banner' command + there is no information regarding bash shell in the book..:(

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^Why not get a fedora dvd?and regarding multimedia dependecies may be u can use a program called OPYUM

mediator

Technomancer
Banner is not included in the fedora DVD. Its there in the "online" repos. U can "complete" ur system just by connecting to net one time and install wateva u need. Whats the prob, wats with the net neways?

OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
ok then i will connect my system to net .......... one query, will my Network Card be working there, bcoz i don't know if driver is installed in Fedora or not..its an old frontech card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom