installing linux!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@The_Unknown (Post's directed only towards you) - Python is not slow. It depends on how you code your application. Codes written well, like those of O(log n) and anything thats not exponential. When you learn Python, you're supposed to get to know how to write an algorithm in the best manner, and that really speedens up your code, and sets it on par with any C/C++ code. Python's major part is written in optimized C code.

I suggest you read Python's Wiki for info on writing the best code rather than simply agree with a survey that it is slow and say the same without facts.

As an example, my Sieve Of Atkin implementation (Its an algorithm to find Prime numbers upto a supplied level) takes just 0.130s in Python for finding all primes upto a million. It would nearly be the same 0.100~ if written in C/C++ too. You can try it :)

And performance isn't limited to tools and methods within Python alone, it can be boosted via external tools as well.

P.s. And yes, I like putting an _ in your nickname. I like it that way. And it looks that way too.

mediator

Technomancer
Yes apt is better than yum when its comes to downloading speed, but yum is faster when it comes to installation speed!

Besides, the 'working on OS' part : slow or fast. Its ur opinion n may vary from person to person. IMO, fedora beats Ubuntu in terms of stability,boot speed,working speed etc.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Yes apt is better than yum when its comes to downloading speed, but yum is faster when it comes to installation speed!

Besides, the 'working on OS' part : slow or fast. Its ur opinion n may vary from person to person. IMO, fedora beats Ubuntu in terms of stability,boot speed,working speed etc.
Also, AFAIK yum is best try basis i.e. it will remove older version then try it's best to install new version but if it fails it can't roll back since older version is already removed. Compare it with apt or portage or such, which first install new package then remove older one so if something fails in new package it can be easily rolled back without any damage.

mediator

Technomancer
Also, AFAIK yum is best try basis i.e. it will remove older version then try it's best to install new version but if it fails it can't roll back since older version is already removed. Compare it with apt or portage or such, which first install new package then remove older one so if something fails in new package it can be easily rolled back without any damage.
yum install yum-allowdowngrade :oops:

This is a yum plugin. I dunno why u r makin this thread a fedora Vs *, yum Vs apt. But neways here's sumthing u shud know!!

Source=yum install yum-*
yum-aliases noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 9.0 k
yum-allowdowngrade noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 7.4 k
yum-arch noarch 2.2.2-2.fc7 fedora 409 k
yum-basearchonly noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 7.9 k
yum-changelog noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 10 k
yum-cron noarch 0.7-1.fc8 updates 16 k
yum-kernel-module noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 7.8 k
yum-list-data noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 9.0 k
yum-merge-conf noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 8.7 k
yum-presto noarch 0.4.3-1.fc8 updates 18 k
yum-priorities noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 8.8 k
yum-protect-packages noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 8.3 k
yum-protectbase noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 7.8 k
yum-refresh-updatesd noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 7.5 k
yum-security noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 13 k
yum-tmprepo noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 8.2 k
yum-tsflags noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 7.2 k
yum-updateonboot noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 9.2 k
yum-upgrade-helper noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 8.7 k
yum-versionlock noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 8.2 k
yumex noarch 2.0.3-2.fc8 updates 316 k
Updating:
yum noarch 3.2.8-2.fc8 updates 509 k
yum-fastestmirror noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 9.1 k
yum-fedorakmod noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 10 k
yum-skip-broken noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 8.5 k
yum-updatesd noarch 1:0.9-1.fc8 updates 22 k
yum-utils noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 52 k
Installing for dependencies:
deltarpm i386 3.4-6.fc8 fedora 353 k
yum-downloadonly noarch 1.1.11-1.fc8 updates 7.5 k
Google as to what all of these available plugins mean. It will enhance ur "yum is best thought".

Now I guess u'll say next that yum doesn't keep existing packages in cache, so in that case u have to modify "keepcache" from 0 to 1 in /etc/yum.conf. :oops:

yum-presto is a neat thing. Find bt that also and then u an open up a thread in review/oss section marking yum vs apt.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
You'll all scare off our original poster, he seems to have vanished
*farm3.static.flickr.com/2180/2122604477_1f3f245df7_o.png

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9472/pubthefuture2cisopen466cr4.png

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Nah many were there at the time of FC5, -C option was there tooo. But it seems many were just unaware! Now that livna and freshrpms etc will merge, I guess things will become even better!

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
yum refreshes the repos everytime you start it, unlike apt which is refreshed only when you ask it.
Secondly, yum uses database to store it's data, I believe sqlite whereas apt uses flat file system.
Yeah, its sqlite. Well as you say it refreshes repos everytime, you have to set some options like keepcache=1 in /etc/yum.conf

@QwertyManiac, i was expecting you here :D

Well, I am not saying that Python is slow as I myself use it. But one of the surveys conducted in 2002 had Python slowest! :D

yum refreshes the repos everytime you start it, unlike apt which is refreshed only when you ask it.
Secondly, yum uses database to store it's data, I believe sqlite whereas apt uses flat file system.
Yeah, its sqlite. Well as you say it refreshes repos everytime, you have to set some options like keepcache=1 in /etc/yum.conf

@QwertyManiac, i was expecting you here :D

Well, I am not saying that Python is slow as I myself use it. But one of the surveys conducted in 2002 had Python slowest! :D

Last edited:
OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
You'll all scare off our original poster, he seems to have vanished
*farm3.static.flickr.com/2180/2122604477_1f3f245df7_o.png

he is right i m totally confused :confused:, sum say fedora is good and others say its bad..........

i have never used linux (please keep this in mind) and please tell me a straight answer to my question....

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
he is right i m totally confused :confused:, sum say fedora is good and others say its bad..........

i have never used linux (please keep this in mind) and please tell me a straight answer to my question....
Try linux mint
*www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna.php

if you didn't like you can always install other distros like fedora,suse etc

mediator

Technomancer

Just install wateva is available to u. Generally people don't update themselves and then perceive the situation to be still as 5 yrs ago! People still say that linux is all that black n white screen. WTH! :oops:

If u have fedora? install it, ubuntu? install it, suse? install it. BUt yes ubuntu n fedora have largest communities.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
and one more important thing, i m doing this because i m learning UNIX in my college and they use redhat (that is why i have redhat)......can i do shell programming in Fedora?

You have kind of answered you own question :) The closest thing you'll get to RHEL is CentOS. Since they are using RHEL in your college better install CentOS. I've installed it, the installation is just like other distros nothing remarkably different, but I have just used the browser and office suite, nothing more in that.

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9472/pubthefuture2cisopen466cr4.png

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I'd rather advise using F8 then CentOS, since CentOS is more aimed at servers, thus you will miss many softwares that typical home users use frequently.

F

FilledVoid

I know that I might sound foolish for recommending it . But if you buy Linux For You then you might check this months edition which has a copy of Sabayon Professional Edition 1.1 I think. According to the review in the magazine it seems to be very user friendly . It comes with all multimedia codecs if I understand it correctly. However I havent installed it yet to confirm how it is. So it might be worth checking out.

OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
could not get this months DIGIT but now i have it....

yes i have fedora 8 (DVD) and it is bootable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom