I am a screwedup airtel user!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clmlbx

Technomancer
I don't know anything about ubuntu . but do that too have limited tcp/ip connection as win xp sp2 .

If yes, try increasing limit .

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ Even I dont know that much about ubuntu:D:D
Tried searching google (in vain) but cudnt find any results worth reading!!

clmlbx

Technomancer
give ur ktorrent setings

nat icon is of what colour ?

try increasing ur upload speed .

bcoz some trackers give good download speeds only if u r uploading well .

try on some well know sites .

have u installed any firewall ?

Last edited:
OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^
Ktorrent ver. 2.1.4
Port: 50551 (forwarded)
UDP tracker port: 4444
Mximum upload speed : 10kBps (tried 11 and 12 but it hampers my dl speed)
Maximunm dl speed: 0 (no limit)
Maximum seeds: 0 (no limit)
Maximum downloads: 0 (no limit)
Global connection limit: 800
No. of upload slots: 2
Maximum limit: 0 (no limit)
DHT on
Encryption on
UnDP off (If I switch this on then I am getting a speed of 1-2kBps)

With these settings I am getting a speed of around 11-12kBps (I should be getting 16 as my conxn is 128kbps)

My share ratio is 0.91; Downloaded: 3.79GB; Upladed: 3.43GB

I have tried many sites but things dint work out my way except they asked to switch off UnDP which I did and get a boost in dl speed.

I am using Firestarter.

Whats this nat icon??

praka123

left this forum longback
^^that green,yellow or red color button present in the torrent client
for normal desktop users lokkit is enough.
apt-get install lokkit;then in a terminal sudo lokkit-customize-give open port for torrent fwding...etc.
run sudo iptables -L for rules listed :)

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^
I had lokkit but I uninstalled it:D
I think I will have to go back to lokkit coz FS uses too much resources of my "super"computer.:D

pushkardey

Right off the assembly line
airtel is like that only i have taken the life time offer and now i m wondering why did i do that..... the connection is F***************** (ladies excuse my language) ....... after 11 pm it stops working....... the wireless internet as well as the broadband sucks...

clmlbx

Technomancer
rarely u will get speed of 16 kbps

bcoz 128 kbps means speed between 100 to 128

at what time do you get this speed .

it may also depend upon time .

as more traffic low speeds . no traffic good speed .

any firewall ?

nat icon ?

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^But airtel guys say that after 22.30 the speed automatically doubles and this has happend with few members of this forum!! But not with me!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
cynosure said:
@sukhdeep:
PS: I dont use a firewall rite now but I have firestarter installed, should i start using it?? Will it give me speed??
How don't you have a firewall? Did you modify the kernel? From what I know all distributions come with iptables inbuilt in the kernel. Firestarter is just a frontend to iptables. You can use it. But, it would be good to understand a few things about iptables, so you'd find using any linux based firewall easy cos most, if not all are just frontends to iptables.

cynosure said:
I use USB port to connect my modem.
This could be the problem. USB is always slower and less stable than using a LAN card.

Last edited:

Edburg

In the zone
For me too night double is not coming.Tried it today at 5.15 A.M,No luck.

An d i am using router with ethernet card.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Double speed during night must be a market startagy in some cities.

Like i was offered Unlimited 64KBPS with no phone and modem rental for Rs 400. This same scheme is now Rs 750 :D

What my cousin was even great. Pay Rs 400 and get 256kbps unlimited during night. 9PM to 8AM.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
mehulved said:
How don't you have a firewall? Did you modify the kernel? From what I know all distributions come with iptables inbuilt in the kernel. Firestarter is just a frontend to iptables. You can use it. But, it would be good to understand a few things about iptables, so you'd find using any linux based firewall easy cos most, if not all are just frontends to iptables.

I dont think Ubuntu came with FS preinstalled, nor it had Lokkit. I dont know about any other firewall.
I think I edited iptables and configured it to start firestarter at the startup.
So everytime FS starts and protects my PC like superman.
But still my speed is not up to the mark.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You got some special ubuntu? I haven't seen any version of ubuntu/kubuntu or such that I've used that didn't already contain iptables.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ I was a bit confused:D:D
But I am sure that after I downloaded and installed FS from the net, only after that was I getting "Starting Firestarter firewall" at the startup. And only after I downloaded and installed Lokkit was I getting "Starting basic firewall environment:Lokkit" at the startup!!
These two lines were not there before I installed the two packages. So thats why I am assuming that niether FS nor Lokkit came preinstalled in my system.

And since I am not a linux geek and I tried "define:iptables" in google; it threw some weird definitions whch I was not able to understand:D:D

praka123

left this forum longback
why?just open a terminal and type "man iptables" or for that matter any other commands.
Also do remember lokkit or firestarter(GUI) or anyother are all control scripts for basic netfilter iptables.
for making u know that u got iptables installed :
in terminal type and enter:
Code:
~$ sudo iptables  -L
^^ this will list u the current fw rules.like ports opened for ur torrent client,the dns server lines etc.iptables is very much superior to any windows fw fyi.
infact if ur security paranoid,u can try selinux package too.used by american mil. :D
if u got doubts with any command,try "man cmdname" to get its use.most cmds got man pages.
And ur Ubuntu is based on Debian,which is used by US for sending space craft outer space due to err,the reliability of famous OS .

Last edited:
OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ I checked iptables -L and it did listed a few rules.
All the policies were accepted.:D
The Chain Input was ACCEPTED and the port 50551 was listed that I use for torrent:D:D Thanks for this @praka

I already knew about man but kinda forgot:D:D

clmlbx

Technomancer
We Go For Expertise Now Check The Basic .

Does Your Plan Have This Facility ( Speed Doubles At Night )

Many Plans Are Limited To Some Regions And Some Conditions .

Does Anyone In Neighbour Hood Gets Double Speed,

Having Same Plan ( Same Rental,speed )

If Yes , Then Make A Call And Book A Complaint To Airtel .

WHAT IS YOUR LOCATION ?

one more thing I got to know ( not sure about it ) that this facility ( speed doubles at night ) was only made available as a new year gift to existing user who r with airtel from a long time ?

how long are u with airtel .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom