I am a screwedup airtel user!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Hi guys,
I use Airtel 128kbps "broadband" internet connection at home.
My d/l speed is never more than 12-13 kBps; although for a second or two in a minute it jumps to 18 and then goes down to 2-3 before coming back to 12.

Now the airtel guys say that the d/l speed must be 128kbps(I wonder if it is kBps):shock::shock::shock: (which I know is not true) and there might be a virus or things like that in my PC (I use linux for browsing so theres no point of any virus).

SO is there any way of increasing the speed so that I can get even a speed of 20kBps.

PS: This is the average speed that I get if I download anything using a torrent or using standard d/l managers of firefox. I searced google and asked those airtel masters but theres no solution to my problem:(

Last edited:
OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^
@kenshin:
Even a guy with half my net speed get equal to my download speed.
He should get 64/8= 8kBps but he's getting around 12(maxed out)
My max is 13, now what?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Airtel mentions its an "upto" 128 kbps connection.. So if you are getting 64-128 kbps, its fine from their side :(

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I m on 256 unlimited plan...I get between 30-40 KBPS speed.

And some time I have seen speed above 50 KBPS during night.Awesome service by airtel.

I think there is some problem in ur system only.May be some virus eating bandwidth in background.I want to suggest you following things:
1)Do full scan in safe mode.
2) *www.techiehome.org/viewtopic.php?t=224
3) *www.techiehome.org/viewtopic.php?t=518

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Speed is just fine.....

KBPS here means Kilo BITS per second and not Kilo Bytes per second.

Speeds depends upon users location but it is good. I have Airtel 256 and i get 27-28KB download speed while brwosing during the day.

After 11PM in night to 6:30 in the morning. I get 70-80KB :p

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
@sukhdeep:
80kBps is the limit!!!! I mean 40kBps is understood on a 256kbps connection but 70-80 kBps is ....... :(

And yes, kilobits and kilobytes depend on whether you are writing it as kbps or kBps :D:D:D (and thruout my posts, I maintained the difference)

See guys, I want this kinda speed...

@Ravi:
Dont know much about the linux's viruses but the links you gave deal with windows.. I use linux.
PS: I dont use a firewall rite now but I have firestarter installed, should i start using it?? Will it give me speed??

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
gauravakaasid said:
@sukhdeep......i guess Airtel doubles its speed at nite??

Yes, airtel doubles it speeds at night. :)

@sukhdeep:
80kBps is the limit!!!! I mean 40kBps is understood on a 256kbps connection but 70-80 kBps is .......

Yep, at night speed doubles. Want me to post a screenshot LOL :cool:

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
hey, what's the rental that u pay? does it include landline rental too?
i applied for BSNL 900 UL + plan, but they said that they lack some ports and equipment... i impatiently waited 1 month but now the company from which they ordered the equipment has blacklisted. Trust BSNL to be so kanjoos...

so now i'm considering other companies.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
cynosure said:
@Ravi:
Dont know much about the linux's viruses but the links you gave deal with windows.. I use linux.
PS: I dont use a firewall rite now but I have firestarter installed, should i start using it?? Will it give me speed??

yes,start using a firewall...and permit internet access to limited programs only.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
sukhdeepsinghkohli said:
Yes, airtel doubles it speeds at night. :)

In my case, the speed is same in day awa in the night.
I am migrating to the plan home 780 (128kbps UL; gosh, few months back it was 699), hope this helps.

And yes guys, Ive to download the ubuntu 7.04; opensuse 10.2 DVD and many other distros and I know torrents are way better for these kinda downloads. Thats why I am giving so much of stress on torrents.

I read on the net that a guys dl speed increased from 60kBps to 400kBps just by enabling the line encryption; in my case nothing happens.
I went thru various tutorials and tried them over my connection but the speed reduces to 3 or 4 kBps :(:(:(

Is there any way of increasing the dl speed??? I've downloaded around 230MB of ubuntu 7.04 and my share ratio is 0.86.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^Ghaziabad; A place in the NCR.

And dont say that Airtel doesnt allow that dbl speed in the night thing here in the NCR.
I asked those guys and their reply was positive but I dont see any difference. :(
Waise I am using the night top-up of 99 bucks. Is that the reason that the night speed is not dbling??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom