How were you introduce to Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
I was introduced to linux when i just got sick the viruses/spywares and other crappy probz in xp:mad:..But Currently me using 3 diff OS-Vista+xp+linux:D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
freebird said:
Yet to understand the super powers of APT and dpkg together!belive me!suse tries to install those umpteen softwares which all of it my not be useful to you.rpm is arguably outdated!
Only if they knew the power of debian's admin tools. I am yet to find those in other distros. But, learning to use those tools properly takes some time. I am myself not too familiar with most of them.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
introduced to linux by Digit Forum last year.

First Distro:- Ubuntu 5.04
Current Distros:- Ubuntu Edgy and Fedora Core 6
Favourite Distro:- Ubuntu Edgy and Fedora Core 6
M H D:- None, but SuSE didnt work on my rig properly.
Fav. Desktop Environment:- GNOME, KDE, XFCE.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
tech_your_future said:
Only if they knew the power of debian's admin tools. I am yet to find those in other distros. But, learning to use those tools properly takes some time. I am myself not too familiar with most of them.

Hummmm... Lemme get some experience in Linux and i wud b using the power of Debian's Admin tools plus lemme hav a BB.
Thnx.

mehulved

Manshahia said:
Hummmm... Lemme get some experience in Linux and i wud b using the power of Debian's Admin tools plus lemme hav a BB.
Thnx.
You can also get Debian from a nearby LUG.

eagle_y2j

Youngling
Introduced by a digit member he helped me a lot also provided me CD's of 23 distros
Fav. Distro :-Open Suse
Current Distro :-Open Suse 10.2
Fav. Desktop-environment :-KDE
Most hated distro :-Ubuntu (ppl say this is gud but i just don't like )
Why you can't live without Linux?:-Its supports my pocket

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Manshahia said:
Which is the best Debian??
I mean which distro's r debian based?
Bhrajji,thx for ur interest in Debian.check debian link itself.although I'll suggest debian Sid for N00bs
Software distributions based on Debian

:p

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman
My friend Ankur, a fanboy forced me to use Dapper Drake until I fell in love with it :) .

Fav. Distro :- Ubuntu
Current Distro :- Edgy Eft (Ubuntu 6.10)
Fav. Desktop-environment :- KDE
Most hated distro :- SuSe ( 5 CDs for a single Distro?? Who the hell needs all those tools??)
Why you can't live without Linux? I can live without Linux :) .

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I was introduced to Linux in 2001 when I started exploring computers after my 12th exam. I tinkered around a bit in Linux, joined a Linux course in NIIT for 3 weeks and then gave up when I went for college. Later when I came to web hosting in 2003 I was reintroduced to Linux and got familiar to it though they were the command line sever versions of Red Hat and FreeBSD with DirectAdmin control panel. I tried installing FC 5.X in my desktop for practice but it didn't work inspite of of disk being checked and 15 reinstalls.

My intro to desktop linux was since last October with an ISO of Ubuntu 5.10 in PC World. I installed, tried out but since my WPA Wireless and sound card didn't work to removed it and went Windows MCE way. After release of 6.06 and ALSA 1.0.14 rc1 I managed to get both sound and wireless working using a few tweaks and compilation and was back on track. Since last december I got into OpenSUSE 10.2 which is the best distro in my experience.

Fav. Distro :- OpenSUSE 10.2
Current Distro :- OpenSUSE 10.2
Most hated distro :- None
Why you can't live without Linux? - Apache, ModSSL, PHP Native support, Amazing effects of OpenSUSE+Compiz and free of cost.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
first distro:- mandrake 10.1(now mandriva)
Fav. Distro :- UBuntu 6.10
Current Distro :- Fedora core 5
Fav. Desktop-environment :- Gnome
Most hated distro :- None

aku

Gonna make it BiG
I was introduced to linux by my computer teacher, back in ~june or sumthin like dat of 2003. it was a customised knoppix distro named LiFY, (provided by linux for u)... since then therez no lookin back...
Since then.. i've experimented wid all da versions of redhat(frm rhl7), fc(1-6), knoppix(3.1-5.1.1), Debian, mandrake (8.2-10.1), mandriva, suse, ubuntu, kubuntu, edubuntu and even Darwin adn PC-BSD,FreeBSD.

We( me and our computer teacher), together transferred all the computers n our school usin pirated windows to linux (rhl 9)...

Since then it has added a coolness adn geekiness factor in me...

Fav. Distro :- SuSE 10.2
Current Distro :- SuSE 10.2
Most hated distro :- 1)Ubuntu, 2)KUbuntu, 3)EDUbuntu
Why you can't live without Linux?
>Can u live without Air???
>and certainly.. i wud never like to live without the term "Geek" beein prefiexed to mah name.. lol

All hail Linus Torvalds... long live linuxxxxxxx!!!!

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
The first time I saw linux was on my friend's PC which had RH9. It was mainly his brother who used it and we both used to hate it a lot because of the incompaitbiltiy to play good graphic games :D Then, after sometime I lost touch as I didn't see it much and my friend had also removed linux by then. Then came Fedora, used for sometime ,then removed. All this time, I didn't even have my PC, but thanks to my friend, I get a lot of updates :) Then, around 2004 I heard about Ubuntu shipping free CDs. I wanted to try out and anyway they were giving it away for free. The CDs dropped in and I wanted to try out. I mostly experimented with the live cds, but I was dissappointed with the GUI. I really don't like the color brown. I also got those CDs so that I could give it away atleast to people who were interested, but none were. Everyone were in love with Windows and the malware it infects :D I still have those CDs and I don't know what to do with it. Again, I had lost interest with linux. My friend used to a be a volunteer in Linux Bangalore most of the time. Then, in 2005, I volunteered in FOSS.IN/2005 in Bangalore and that is when my love for linux was instantaneous. I couldn't believe that FOSS could do so much and I had no clue that it had developed so much within a span of just a year. Atleast I felt so, as I had not used linux at all. I didn't even know that there were so many distros. I had used SuSE 9.1 and 9.3 at my friend's place and also used 9.3, but I had to remove it...... Don't remember why :confused: Here, in this meet, I hear about distros which have really cool names and offers features to different users. This is what I like about linux. It gives just what the user wants. In one of the talks, a guy suggested for noobs to try out Gentoo as it really teaches you linux and Gentoo was the OS installed on the systems there. I didn't find it really friendly to use. Then, I wanted to try out other distros. I HAD TO. I had fallen in love!! :D I started looking out for the 'BEST' distro out there. I turned back to the distro which I found quite appealing and easy to use. SuSE. I also installed Fedora 5 before this and that distro taught me a lot!!! I would still go back to Fedora if I don't get SuSE on my hands. I also tried out the live CD of Ubuntu 6.10 and I should say, I don't hate brown so much anymore :)

Fav. Distro :- OpenSUSE 10.2
Current Distro :- OpenSUSE 10.2
Most hated distro :- None as each distro serves its purpose to individuals
Why you can't live without Linux? The only thing which I can call my GF :D, free, no malware, no maintenance. Learning to hack :D so its a must for those stuff ;)

hailgautam

Youngling
My first introduction was SUSE 5 or 6 or something in 2000 or sometime which was given on Chip as the first anniversary special (when digit was chip - you know what i mean? - I still have it) I installed it but had a lot of trouble, and at that time it was not that easy to find help. So switched back to windows...

I always wanted to switch to Linux, coz using Windows you have this guilt feeling of being a thief. (You Know WHY :D). But utmost criteria was to be productive in this New environment that is completely alien to me.

In last few months I first installed Fedora Core 5. Fedora was easy to install, and was able to pickup the internet connection automatically - one of the most important things you need to be productive now a days. However I un-installed it within a day, coz I wanted to use Ubuntu, as I had read much about it being a very easy to install and use for a novice et al.

Then when PCW gave Ubuntu, I installed it. Had trouble with internet etc, (because of my own stupidity - searching for a login as root button somewhere when I was logged in as user, didn't realize I have to login with root as the login id :D at the time of booting or switch the user). So switched to Open Suse.

Then day before yesterday Installed Open SUSE again from the PCW DVD, easy to install, it automatically caught the wireless connection, did minor config to come on to the net (DNS settings needed changing - I tried to change it when i was logged in as user - but it won't let you do it, then i tried logging in as "root" and changed the settings and viola it was done). Then I also did some updation of some software (read Firfox),and installed the Grisbi accounting package that I used to use in the Windows to manage my personal Finances.

Since day before yesterday 90% of the time I have been logged into Linux only and switching to Windows for only to have my Outlook 2007 update with the mail, but it is matter of time I'll stop that :).

Fav. Distro :- Open SUSE 10,2
Current Distro :- Same as Above
Fav. Desktop-environment :- Currently using KDE, but liked the Gnome because of its no-clutter interface -compared to KDE.
Most hated distro :-HUh! not enough exposer to HATE.
Why you can't live without Linux?: I thought I lived till day before yesterday, when made the switch. But if I have to answer it in affirmative I have to say I can't live without Linux because I want a clear mind. Sounding senti huh! :D

Vyasram

The pWnster
bsods , crashes, etc in windows introduced me to Ubuntu, still using it ( for the past two months)

amitava82

MMO Addict
I heard about linux sometime around 2001 when i first bought my PC. that time i got a linux distro named Dragon Linux with Chip CD(Former Digit). i tried to install that but it had some error so failed. later on i tried some small linux (dont remember the name. ~20-30MB). couple of years later a got Fedora core 3 with Digit DVD. that was the time when i first tried to do some experiments with linux, such as mounting NTFS, Wine, Bluetooth GPRS, dialup etc. but i could not continue much long ( coz it didn't serve my main purpose - Gaming). later on i tried many live distro just to have a look how linux is going. I also bough a Suse linux 9 for Rs. 250 from ebay (i think its in 2005), again it dint last long on my desktop. in 2006 sometime in july i heard of ubuntu being so popular. i decided to try it. i installed it in my Laptop. and Ubuntu is the first distro that impressed me. after that no looking back. its still shining on my laptop. I really like to show off my Linux laptop in college :) everyone ask me all those stupid questions like.. whats d difference between linux n Windows? why r u using linux? the name Ubuntu is so weird n funny, is it heard to use? bla bla.. n honestly speaking i do enjoy every bit of their astonishment. ;-) and not to mention the BERYL.. I realy REALLY like Ubuntu's layout n features. Most useful feature in ubuntu i like is Synaptic package manager. it makes life hell lot easier. i think its the main reason ubuntu is so popular.. finally i'd like to share a story with u guys about ubuntu saving the day for me...

one day we were having data analysis class. we had to do some calculations with Excel Solver Add on. by default MS Excel dont install Solver package. u need CD to install. most of the guys neither have solver installed nor the CDs (Pirated ofcourse). So they could not do the problem. where as i had my Ubuntu n Gnumeric spreadsheet installed. guess what? it comes with all the solver Package inbuilt. So i solved the Problem. Ubuntu saved the day for me.. :)

Fav. Distro :- Ubuntu
Current Distro :- Ubuntu
Fav. Desktop-environment :- Gnome
Most hated distro :- distro that does not come with good package management software.

mehulved

amitava82 said:
Most hated distro :- distro that does not come with good package management software.
Slackware doesn't come with any package management software, but in all the distros I have used, I haven't come across such a beautiful distro. There are a lot of things besides package management. Getting hold of different packages from source and compiling them was so much fun on slackware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom