How were you introduce to Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Hi guys! I'm starting this new thread about "How you were introduced to Linux".
Please post your messages here.

As for the start, I was introduced to Linux in December 2005 when I got the Live CD of Knoppix. And the very next month I installed Mandriva 10.0 on my system. I kept on trying various distros, but then I stopped on SUSE and Ubuntu. Well please include the following too:-

Fav. Distro :-
Current Distro :-
Fav. Desktop-environment :-
Most hated distro :-
Why you can't live without Linux?

-------------

My details,
Fav. Distro :- SuSE
Current Distro :- SUSE and Ubuntu
Fav. DE :- KDE
M H Distro :- Fedora Core (its very hard for a newbie)
I can't live without linux because it is like a lifeline to me.

So keep posting!

Last edited:

freebird

Debian Rocks!
:)

I am introduced to Linux first on 1999 :rolleyes: the distro is redhat 6.1 carmen something.I used it for sometime just for learning CLI.the DE are Black and White like ...:eek:
then I left usage of Linux and later from 2000 onwards with RH7.1 and later switched permanantly into my kind of distro- Debian!
Currently experimenting with A GNOME distro called foresight linux
I like foresight and rpath for its Conary
package manager.it is really gr8.
i am a GNOME fan;i admit it and hates umm..U now the Other DE
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_desktop
The GNOME project was started in August 1997 by Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena in response to licensing concerns over software used by KDE, a free software desktop environment that relies on the Qt widget toolkit. At the time, Qt did not use a free software license and members of the GNU project became concerned about the use of such a toolkit for building a free software desktop and applications. Two projects were started: the Harmony toolkit, to create a free replacement for the Qt libraries, and GNOME to create a new desktop without Qt and built entirely on top of free software.[2]

Fav. Distro : Debian GNU/Linux
Current Distro: Debian,Ubuntu and Foresight Linux(the one with conary pkg mgmt)
Fav. Desktop-environment :GNOME and other gtk based lightweight DE/WMs
Most hated distro(not really) :Mandriva,Suse/Open SUse and most .rpm based distros.why the he!! they are sticking with this outdated rpm stuff.they should upgrade their pkg mgmt to Debians dpkg+apt (.debs) or some other better pkg management software.
I am sleeping with GNU/Linux ;)
I love the freedom GNU/Linux and other FLOSS applications offer.

Last edited:

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Well my crush with linux is a long affair to remember
I saw linux (RH6) first at my frnd's place in 1999 . i was amazed @ another OS..I decided to install it when I bought my HCL pC (810 MB, P-III 700 MHz)in 2000.

I didnt know much abt Linux then..I deleted C: drive accidentally of my new PC :(
After then lots n lots of frustrating hours with Linux..every CD distro tried out..some was giving video error ..some audio....finally I Installed RH6 but there was no sound..then I installed RH7, RH8, RH9 but there was no sound always...sometimes XMMS crashed...I asked driver problem at every corner of net..tried everything but nothng worked

I started to hate linux so much that I vowed never to install it in 2003....but recently my lost love came back in the form of Ubuntu Linux..so easy to install....so nice...

Thats my story ...just 1 day back I installed Ubuntu on my new PC (AMD 3600+) and its too kool..

My details,
Fav. Distro :- Ubuntu
Current Distro :- Ubuntu
Fav. DE :- GNOME
M H Distro :- Fedora Core (its very hard for a newbie) YES ..ITS VERY FRUSTRATING :X
I can't live without linux because it ALWAYS fascinates me ...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
vimal_mehrotra said:
still waiting for "introduction" :D
Then indroduce yourself now.

As to me, I was introducted to linux in July 2004 by my friend as a solution to recurring virus problems. Back then, he installed FC 2 for me. Few months down the line, I got myself to install FC3, which was just released. I used to turn to him for help. I still used windows most of the time, while exploring the 'Novel OS' at times, too.
It was in October 2005, that I decided to finally shift to linux forever, with Slackware 10.2, that's also the time when I started coming to this forum regularly.
Since last year, I have been playing around with various distros, though I have used Ubuntu extensively.

Fav. Distro :- Debian GNU/Linux cos it's the distro that represents FOSS like no other.
Current Distro :- Gentoo
Fav. Desktop-environment :- Fluxbox, though I mostly use KDE/GNOME but it doesn't really matter much.
Most hated distro :- linspire, for being most un-FOSS like
I can, there's so much to try out. I am currently trying out FreeBSD, in virtual machine, then there's also Solaris that I want to take a shot at.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
I was first introduced to Linux while doing a diploma from BRAINWARE COMPUTER ACADEMY( 1998 ). The first distro I've tried is Redhat 7.0. It was a CLI environment. While reading study materials I discovered that Linux also supports GUI called "X". After buying my computer I installed it on my system for testing just the GUI part (X). After that the journey continues with different flavours of Linux...Currently I have 5 flavours of Linux on my system...:)

Fav. Distro :- Fedora, Ubuntu, openSuSE
Current Distro :- Fedora Core 6, Ubuntu Edgy, openSuSE 10.2, DreamLinux 2.2, PCLinuxOS 0.93
Fav. Desktop-environment :- KDE, Gnome
Most hated distro :- No such distro...:)

--------------------------------
Because I feel very much secure in Linux and also it needs very less maintainance...

Last edited:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Here is My Story

Fav. Distro :- Ubuntu (As I configure sucessfully),Waiting for trying SUSE after a minor hardware change.
Current Distro :- Ubuntu 6.10
Fav. DE :- GNOME,(In KDE many unnecessary stuff which I never need)
Most hated Distro:- None still now.

Last edited:

DDIF

Custom User Title
Introduced to Linux in 2005 but i wasn't interested. Then in this new year i read some articles about Linux on MyOpera. Then i thought i should try it. But due to Lack of BroadBand here ,i'm unable to try. But now some one is gonna send me Opensuse 10.2/ after trying that i'll post my thoughts.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Humm, heard abt it in 2004.
Wasnt able to use. ^^^^^^ Same problem.
Asked everywhere cudnt get a single CD.
Then in 2005 got a CD.
Installed and accidently deleted all the partitions.
Vital Data got Deleted. :(
Then kasam khai never to use linux again.
After Some months got a DVD of SUSe 10.0
I was dying to try it out and took the risk.
After two hours of installation when everything was going Ok and there were only few minutes to complete, light went off. Everything got deleted.
After that linux installing deleting , installing deleting started and now i m here feeling happy being a member of world's BIGGEST Community.
Thats the whole story.

Fav Distro -Suse
Current Distro - Suse
Fav Desktop Envrn- KDE
Hated Distro - Mandriva nd Ubuntu(Not Much but Still)

I in LOVE with LINUX.

mehulved

A bit offtopic but i'd like to ask why do you hate Ubuntu. This is something I don't really hear much, so I'd like to know.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
The main problem is that one has to download all the softwares whereas in others, jsut pop the DVD and Install all the softwares u need.

But i really APPRECIATE that they are providing free CD's for installing to people who dont hav any means to get LINUX.

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
Manshahia said:
The main problem is that one has to download all the softwares whereas in others, jsut pop the DVD and Install all the softwares u need.

But i really APPRECIATE that they are providing free CD's for installing to people who dont hav any means to get LINUX.
I agree with you
It is such a pain to search for softwares for it

mehulved

Tech Geek said:
I agree with you
It is such a pain to search for softwares for it
Did you go to packages.ubuntu.com or archives.ubuntu.com?
And if you're asking about apt repositories, then really good repositories, which can give you almost any software is given at ubuntuguide.org.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
But thats a pain, downloading softwares from here and there, means first searching the, downloading them and installing them.

@ Mehul ,Dont they Provide a DVD??

Last edited:

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
Ordered ubuntu from shipit for fun like 5 months ago, i wasn't gonna install it as my friends had bad experiences with linux, data loss etc, still i posted a topic askin for help on installing it, the person who really made me install it was Mehul :p

Fav. Distro :- Fedora Core
Current Distro :- Fedora Core 6
Fav. Desktop-environment :- err long story, i was die hard Kde fan but then one night shivji came to my dream and said "bachha Gnome hi sahi hai" , Gnome user here :D :D
Most hated distro :- none, each distro is made to suite different people with different needs and tastes, theres nothing to hate in it.

Pathik

Google Bot
Fav. Distro :- suse10.2/fc6
Current Distro :- suse10.2/ubuntu6.10
Fav. DE :- KDE
M H Distro :- to some extent i ve never liked linspire, gentoo, ubuntu(yea ubuntu .. dont kill me plz :p)

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Manshahia said:
Yet to understand the super powers of APT and dpkg together!belive me!suse tries to install those umpteen softwares which all of it my not be useful to you.rpm is arguably outdated!
if u r having a good internet connxn,debian or ubuntu is the best.i mean,why you need to install those 7GB+ software which you dont use.while Ubuntu and Debian or mepis or infact most debian based distros are just giving out the most useful software.afterwards,even if u have a 56kbps dial up u can d/l some needed softwares and install thus making the maximum use of available space and apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom