How were you introduce to Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
I was first introduced to Linux by my ex-gf in 2002. Her brother is a web & software developer, a Delhi LUG senior member and a Linux guru. In 2002, she had 9 PCs at her place, all running exclusively on Linux. She forced me to use Linux and my first distro was Mandrake 9, that I downloaded in those days on my very crappy 32kbps connection. I used it on and off, dual-booting with Win2K. I also tried my hands on RedHat 9 and Debian in those days. Well, RedHat 9 imho looked horrible & was too slow while Debian was just too difficult for me. I couldn't even configure X Server on it so just dumped it.

This chopping and changing went on until early 2003 when I installed XP on my system. All hell broke loose at that time. I had a Motorola SM56 internal modem and it caused so many BSODs on XP that I just lost it. At that time after getting frustrated with XP, I installed Slackware 9.1 and was I in love with this thing or what!!! It is probably THE BEST distro for a Linux n00b that I have come across. It teaches you so many things that you will never need any books. During these times, I removed XP and went exclusively on Linux.

While using Slackware, I came across another distro named Gentoo Linux and the comments about how fast it is and how fast you can make it cos it is source based. I was able to install it in first try but didn't like it much. Honestly, I had not given it much time. After spending some more time with Slackware and getting more accustomed to command line, I installed Gentoo again and this time stuck with it. Now, I am a Gentoo user since late 2004 and around 6 months back, removed Slackware completely. Since then I have also tried Ubuntu 6.10 to see what the hype is about but I removed it after a month because of its GNOME desktop. These days I have installed openSUSE 10.2 as an alternate distro. I must say it is quite polished but it just can't beat the control of Gentoo. Looks like, soon I will be removing openSUSE as well :)

Fav. Distro :- Slackware (Even though I don't use it now but it simply rocks)
Current Distro :- Gentoo
Fav. Desktop-environment :- KDE
Most hated distro :- Debian (...because of their hypocrisy)
Why you can't live without Linux? :- Because I have forgotten how to live in the world of BSODs and don't have money to waste on expensive "locked-in" operating system :)

eddie

El mooooo
desertwind said:
Can you elaborate a little?
Just look at the hullabaloo they created about Firefox trademark. This was coming from a distro that forced a Debian promoting corporation (don't know the name exactly now) to drop the word "Debian" from their name because it is Debian's trademark. It came from a distro whose supporters created a major hue and cry (sometime around june last year) about a German magazine supplying a modified version of Sarge but still calling it Sarge. So they don't mind modifying Firefox and still calling it Firefox but they do mind someone doing the same to them? I mean if they want to protect their trademark so dearly then what in this god's world do they have problem with other product's trademark? Why do such pathetic things like crossing a product's logo in a Linux conference?
*blog.sexylizard.org/dc2/post/2006/10/14/114-debian-c-est-bas
*glazman.org/weblog/dotclear/index.php?2006/10/14/2148-lame-debian
*sexylizard.org/images/ffTm.jpg

Isn't this hypocrisy?

Add to this the fact that how pissed they are with Ubuntu for no reason at all. Some of the guys from Debian recently wore T-Shirts with "F... Ubuntu" printed on them at a Linux conference. These things just put the whole community in bad light and we usually see such things only from the Debian fanatics and its supporters, hence my feelings about them.

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Hey! That's pretty nice. i didn't knew that this thread is going so long and is quite popular among us, let us keep the good experience coming guys!

Linux Rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom