How to increase broadband downloading speed?

pranav.seth

Journeyman
hi,
i have mtnl broadband connection.My friend has airtel conn. of the same specifications but while downloading torrents, my speed never exceeds 60kb/s ( while downloading one torrent) while his's minimum speed is 100-120 kb/s. i feel so jealous of the fact that even after paying equal amt. of money, i get lesser speeds. please tell me some way of get higher speeds. i use windows 7 home basic.
thanks a lot in advance

Rajesh345

Youngling
for torrent it depend on number of seeders,

also 60Kbps means ur Speed provided by ISP is 512 KBps and his is 120kb(1024KBps)

Different ISP plans i think

Sarath

iDota
u cant compare torrents for speed

use Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and compare your speeds with your friend's.

Rajesh345

Youngling
then speed difference is due to Seeders for that torrent , Post a Pic showing How many seeders u getting for the torrent

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Yup, its due to torrents only

But if you want to increase for normal files, use this ->

Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) - Free Download Manager

OP
P

pranav.seth

Journeyman
i am not downloading any torrents rite now.....even if the torrents are more or less the speed is same.
*www.speedtest.net/result/1275102903.png

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I too have MTNL broadband 512 Kbps connection. And mine speed too doesn't exceed more than 60-62 KBps. It never have, and it never will be I think, unless and until I change the plan to 1 Mbps or more.
That Airtel plan you are talking about is definitely more than 512 Kbps.

But even if it isn't you have something Far more superior than that to your disposal, and for which your friend would be Jealous of you ! :-D
Its the FUP (Fair Use Policy). You can never be limited, to how much data you D/W or U/L. But Airtel does have a FUP, and sooner or later, his speeds is bound to get lower, or charges would be higher, once he crosses that limit.

So its time to :bananana:

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Fellows you all forgot the basic conversion from kbps to kBps. ISPs usually use the small b which stands for bit (eg: 512 kbps, 2 mbps etc) , while download manager uses B which stands for Byte.

1 Byte= 8 bits

so 512 kbps = 512/8 = 64 kBps

So the OP is getting the correct speed as per the package.

I am using a 2 mbps ( = 256 kBps) bsnl package and the maximum download speed i am getting is only 90-100 kBps. which is half the advertised speed.

I think that clears your doubt.

R2K

In the Zone
Fellows you all forgot the basic conversion from kbps to kBps. ISPs usually use the small b which stands for bit (eg: 512 kbps, 2 mbps etc) , while download manager uses B which stands for Byte.

1 Byte= 8 bits

so 512 kbps = 512/8 = 64 kBps

So the OP is getting the correct speed as per the package.

I am using a 2 mbps ( = 256 kBps) bsnl package and the maximum download speed i am getting is only 90-100 kBps. which is half the advertised speed.

I think that clears your doubt.
that could be because of FUP
BTW did u check the SNR rate of you line...

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
that could be because of FUP
BTW did u check the SNR rate of you line...

No it is not FUP. I am using a night unlimited connection.

Don't know about SNR. The telephone exchange is just 100 mtrs away. My modem got fried last week. So waiting for a new modem. Will check with the new modem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom