How much is too much for a smartphone?

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
27 k is perfect,

below that awesome.
thats why Google is Ultimately the Boss.

yes..Nexus 4 is sweetly priced and lauched in india

Personally I feel 40 is the absolute max :)

Ideally should be 30

40k is also way too much for a phone

27 k is perfect,

below that awesome.
thats why Google is Ultimately the Boss.
personally I can stretch till 23k and 25k max.
when SGS2 was priced @27k I still found it costly to buy :-D

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
guess it depends on the users. for legit consumers (who pay for apps, podcasts, ebooks etc) the price of the content eclipses the price of the smartphone. 20-25k is about a year's worth of content

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
well for me, i wouldn't want to 'throw' more than 10k on a machine which people call it "Revolutionary" , "Smart" and similar much over-hyped pseudonyms. This machine is so silly that you won't be able to type 'normally'. You already have a thing called "DESKTOP" which can be the machine for computing. But I guess people have changed the way how they operate a computer. May be they have forgotten how to type :p. I would invest somewhere around 7-10k on a phone, get a 16-20 MP digicam costing about 3-5k & thats it. The phone should act as a supplement to the traditional computer. That's the way how I look at it & may be the reason why I threw away my Galaxy Tab 2 & purchased a new rig :) & I am so happy with it. The world is so normal again :-D.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
guess it depends on the users. for legit consumers (who pay for apps, podcasts, ebooks etc) the price of the content eclipses the price of the smartphone. 20-25k is about a year's worth of content

+1 I agree those who don't care about pricing can throw lumsum cash & buy it

amjath

Human Spambot
well for me, i wouldn't want to 'throw' more than 10k on a machine which people call it "Revolutionary" , "Smart" and similar much over-hyped pseudonyms. This machine is so silly that you won't be able to type 'normally'. You already have a thing called "DESKTOP" which can be the machine for computing. But I guess people have changed the way how they operate a computer. May be they have forgotten how to type :p. I would invest somewhere around 7-10k on a phone, get a 16-20 MP digicam costing about 3-5k & thats it. The phone should act as a supplement to the traditional computer. That's the way how I look at it & may be the reason why I threw away my Galaxy Tab 2 & purchased a new rig :) & I am so happy with it. The world is so normal again :-D.

How much time u travel? U carry desktop/laptop while travelling on a bus. A smartphone is supplement to computer in its own ways

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
How much time u travel? U carry desktop/laptop while travelling on a bus. A smartphone is supplement to computer in its own ways

if you add the kms , i travelled 18,000 kms by train last year :p. You live outside home? :p
A smartphone can be supplementary but not an alternative to a PC in my opinion.

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot
if you add the kms , i travelled 18,000 kms by train last year :p. You live outside home? :p

I travel 4 hours a day so its a good supplement as u said but at a good price

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
20K is the limit to which I'd go for a cellphone. Anything above that is not value-for-money (few exceptions permitted). Would a phone worth 40K be twice as useful to me as a phone worth 20K? I don't think so. Would it last twice as long on the "cutting edge" of tech? Doubt it. So why should I spend a buttload of money for something that I can't buy without selling a kidney, and which wouldn't even last a whole day if I were to use every shiny feature it boasts of?

Trouble is, some people buy a phone for its price tag and not for the benefits it can bring them. Just yesterday at a showroom I saw a guy in his late thirties (guessing, since he had a wife and a kid) carrying a Z10 and an iPhone 5. That's almost 1 Lakh in gadgets!! Apparently it's a big deal owning the "latest" mobile in town. :|

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
20K is the limit to which I'd go for a cellphone. Anything above that is not value-for-money (few exceptions permitted). Would a phone worth 40K be twice as useful to me as a phone worth 20K? I don't think so. Would it last twice as long on the "cutting edge" of tech? Doubt it. So why should I spend a buttload of money for something that I can't buy without selling a kidney, and which wouldn't even last a whole day if I were to use every shiny feature it boasts of?

Trouble is, some people buy a phone for its price tag and not for the benefits it can bring them. Just yesterday at a showroom I saw a guy in his late thirties (guessing, since he had a wife and a kid) carrying a Z10 and an iPhone 5. That's almost 1 Lakh in gadgets!! Apparently it's a big deal owning the "latest" mobile in town. :|

You took the words out of my mouth. People generally don't give a damn about the performance , all they care about is the price which is so sad. And this is the type of people that these companies are targeting. What is the point of buying a tiny device which isn't that much powerful as it is being hyped. This is a pure waste of money.

R2K

In the Zone
Depends on how you are gonna use the device and for how long.
If you change/upgrade your phone every year then spending 35-40k is just a freaking waste of funds.
I think 25k should be the max if you are not planning to use it for more than a year.

But for most people a device like note 2 can completely replace a PC (This may not apply to geeks though :D)

But spending 30k+ on a cellphone which will get outdated in less than 2 years is stupidity. A laptop within that price can be used for years in terms of software and OS upgrade by shelling out a minimal amount on faster RAM and HDD from time to time.

Last edited:

Flash

Lost in speed
20k-25k is too much. Sweet price is 10-15k. And what kl@w said.
'
Second that.

Even if we buy a cutting edge phones worth of 40 and above, but an ordinary person won't use those often apart from browsing/music/gaming and occasional navigation.
>20k mobiles may have waterproof, but what good it will be if, you can't take care of your mobile till falling in water?

sujoyp

Grand Master
For me max budget wont cross 20k ... I find all costlier handsets good for number games and benchmarks but even a Lumia 820 or Sony Xperia L can do almost all what a Lumia 920 or SGS4 can ...cost of 38k not justified

Top Bottom