Can you cook?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
I can cook people!!!
nahi samje..........
Mein logo ko paka sakta hoon apne jhel jokes suna suna ke!!!

OP
dheeraj_kumar

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@praka uncle

I just had some obbattu, but since I bought this in a shop, it was slightly thinner than the one at the pic, they cant spend too much pooran na... tasted good though :)

din

Tribal Boy
Prakash,

No, we do not make that sweet at home. But I got what you meant, we bought it many times. Very sweet n nice.

My favorite is puttu and kadala :)

praka123

left this forum longback
@praka uncle

I just had some obbattu, but since I bought this in a shop, it was slightly thinner than the one at the pic, they cant spend too much pooran na... tasted good though :)
Is it available in Madras?

@Din:well,my fav is Appam and Kozhi Curry ;) .
In veg :I like jain food items :D (pav bhaji anyone?).
Obviously,being Syrian Catholic means Non-Veg :D
well,Holige was available in my town sometime back.but not now :| .

prasad_den

Padawan
I can cook... and eat what I cook (its not that bad..sometimes turns out very good also). But nothing fancy, and I won't fool myself saying that I'm a master chef.. :D

*showoff*
Let me see.. I can do the following:
Make idlis and dosas (that includes batter preparation)
make uppama, poha, poori, chapathi (again including dough preparation)
make onion-tomato chutney, or aloo masala for the above
make rice, and again aloo as side dish
make some evening snacks (like pakoda, bajji)
make tea and coffee
and of course, maggi..sorry..top ramen.. :D

So basically, 1. I can survive by myself, and 2. I need to improve in side-dish dept.. :D :D

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
Prakash, that is available in Mattancherry (Wahan pe kya nahi milega !)

Want me to buy some and courier you ? Seriously.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Can someone tell me how to cook 'poot'? When I had been to Ernakulam(Near Flower Junction), there is a small restaurant where I had it. Hmmm........unforfortunately, nobody makes it here in Mumbai/Thane! :(

din

Tribal Boy
Yaar, you have got any relatives near flower junction , Cochin ? Theres a small Krishna Temple, know that ?

mentime, puttu + kadala + pappadam + pazham + coffee = the bestestestest thing in the world :D

praka123

left this forum longback
^oh,you had visited ernakulam?flower junction ?near padma?
"Putt" must be available in Bombay esp Matunga area :D .else there are lot of kerala style restaurents na?

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Isn't putta a 'steamed rice powder thing' mixed with coconut and eaten with milk?
There are also ready-made packets for 'putta' in any Keralite store. Haven't tried though.
I love putta too..

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Just add some water to rice powder nd some coconut peels. Fill it in a cylinder with a metal grill or a metal plate with small holes for steam to get in nd place it over an airtight vessel containing water nd allow the whole steam to pass through the mixture, nd its all ready.
Its one of the easiest Kerala dishes.

Just add some water to rice powder nd some coconut peels. Fill it in a cylinder with a metal grill or a metal plate at bottom with small holes for steam to get in nd place it over an airtight vessel containing water nd allow the whole steam to pass through the mixture, nd its all ready.

Last edited:

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Don't add too much of water..just a little more than you use while making chapatis and mix well with coconut scrap.
And you can eat by adding sugar and milk.

Traditionally it's made by wrapping in banana leaves..am I right?

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Yaar, you have got any relatives near flower junction , Cochin ? Theres a small Krishna Temple, know that ?
Don't know that, but just minutes away from Flower Junction, there is Thirumalai Devasthan(TD)(I think its a Balaji Temple). We used to stay there in those rooms meant for visitors.

Do you stay there?

^oh,you had visited ernakulam?flower junction ?near padma?

Umm no. I don't know about Krishna temple. Do you stay near flower junction?

"Putt" must be available in Bombay esp Matunga area :D .else there are lot of kerala style restaurents na?
Matunga is famous here for south indian dishes, though I have never been there due to lack of company :(

Isn't putta a 'steamed rice powder thing' mixed with coconut and eaten with milk?
There are also ready-made packets for 'putta' in any Keralite store. Haven't tried though.
I love putta too..
Yaaa, and I think they also serve some 'chhole' like yellow veg preparation and a wet 'papad'......God...that tasted so cool!

Just add some water to rice powder nd some coconut peels. Fill it in a cylinder with a metal grill or a metal plate with small holes for steam to get in nd place it over an airtight vessel containing water nd allow the whole steam to pass through the mixture, nd its all ready.
Wow! I will ask my mom to try this.

Don't add too much of water..just a little more than you use while making chapatis and mix well with coconut scrap.
Will ask my mom to be careful about this.

din

Tribal Boy
Rohan

my house is like 20 KMs away from that (away from Cochin city), but I have relatives there, near flower junction Ernakulam. And yes, I know the temple which you mentioned. That is the main temple, the Krishna temple I mentioned is small. I was wondering why you came there, like just a visit or having relatives out there, that is why I asked.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^I have my relatives approx 3 mins(walking) away from Flower junction. He was the cable operator of that area. I think he has recentl changed his business. I don't remember what his business is now!

praka123

left this forum longback
@rohan:that temple(Tirumala Devaswom) and all is for Gowd Saraswath brahmins(or we call them konkani's in kerala.sry Din :D ) .even that area and main kochin city is dominated by konkani merchants.for eg:Jayalakshmi silks,shenoy's theatres and all :)

@rohan: are you real native of bombay? or migrated from kanara?:)

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^Ya, I am a 'Konkani' GSB :D

Ya, that area is dominated by us........I know there is a big perfume company there 'TMV Shenoy'

I am not sure if am a native of Kerala or Karnataka.
My mom and dad were born and brought up in Mumbai itself.
My mom's father was a native of Udipi and he migrated to Mumbai in his early teenage for work.

My father's father's case may also be similar, but I don't know exactly.

Anywayz, I am born and brought up in Mumabi itself.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Actually puttu needs much less water than chapati. Just add very small amount of water nd make sure the rice powder still feels semi powdery nd steam can easily pass thru it.
Also dont force the powder into the cylinder. There shud be enuf room for the steam to escape from top.
U can but readymade cylinder for puttu called 'puttu kutti' from ny utensil stores nywhere in Kerala.

And its not usually takes with milk.
Puttu nd kadala curry is much famous nd puttu + banana[small ones like Palayankodan] too is gud.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^I will look for those 'puttu hutti' here in mumbai......may be I find something similar if not that exact thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom