How do I damage a HDD intentionally?

tkin

Back to school!!
Don't laugh at the title, my Seagate HDD was showing replaced sector for a few months, they increase 1-2 every week, when it reached about 30 and crashed my OS twice/epic BSOD, caused data corruption(AC3 save game lost :() I took to to service who rejected it as it passed seagate check tool, now I need to damage it, damage it good so it would develop over 300 bad sector and maybe they'll they replace it, they seriously want me to use a failing hdd until it fails completely, its like this, you have a car the engine for which is failing, now you have to keep using it until it's completely dead, in the middle of nowhere. So I need to kill it.

I though of these methods.
1. Put a massive read write load using HD Tune, repeatedly wipe the drives, somehow make replaced sector over 300 so it fails seatools -Civilized way :wink:
2. Plug it in, power it on, now shake shake shake, just like making a milkshake, hopefully this will kill that damn thing - Ravage it :D

So suggest, also this must not not make the drive void of warranty, so if I take path 2 will they somehow find out and reject it? Is their any metric in hdd and tools that keep a check on how much G it had experienced? Like an accelerometer?

PS: This thing has about 4-5 months warranty left, so not much time left.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
Dont go for the path 2....as it would crash, if you shake and the head is damaged they would conclude that you did some tampering with it......
IMO you can put it on massive R/W loop...That would slow down the HDD and ultimately increase the bad sector and the chipset "would be" damaged...keeping your warranty intact...!
Then too keep your options open.....before trying it...!

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Dont go for the path 2....as it would crash, if you shake and the head is damaged they would conclude that you did some tampering with it......
IMO you can put it on massive R/W loop...That would slow down the HDD and ultimately increase the bad sector and the chipset "would be" damaged...keeping your warranty intact...!
Then too keep your options open.....before trying it...!
No options, they won't take the RMA unless its over 300(replaced sector), but waiting till that is not possible, if I use it now there will be data corruption etc, and I have a few months to break it so they'd rma it :(

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Try holding a very powerful magnet close to it when its running :p
And get warranty rejected? No thanks :p

The very reason I want to break it so that they give me the damn warranty that I rightfully deserve.

ratul

█████████████████
haha, another reason why WD is better in service..
I had one bad sector in HDD (WD 160GB Scorpio Blue), so i RMA'd it, courier guy picked it up from my home and after two weeks (30jan2013), i got 320GB scorpio blue as a replacement.. :p

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
haha, another reason why WD is better in service..
I had one bad sector in HDD (WD 160GB Scorpio Blue), so i RMA'd it, courier guy picked it up from my home and after two weeks (30jan2013), i got 320GB scorpio blue as a replacement.. :p
Amen to that, rma'd WD Green 500GB, took 1.5 months BUT gave a 1TB Black in return(FAEX model with 64MB cache).

ratul

█████████████████
haha, looks like WD has a policy to double up the disk capacity in warranty.. :p
btw, my HDD got corrupted due to lack of UPS, sudden shutdown of computer makes the head of the HDD to stop forcefully, thus damaging it, you can try that.. :p

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
haha, looks like WD has a policy to double up the disk capacity in warranty.. :p
btw, my HDD got corrupted due to lack of UPS, sudden shutdown of computer makes the head of the HDD to stop forcefully, thus damaging it, you can try that.. :p
Not such a good idea, other components could get damaged.

clmlbx

Technomancer
First start testing hd by any programme or go for performance benchmark then You can remove power cable from hd and then again re-insert it (power cable from psu to hd).. ..might be that would work.. .

one more way would be keep formatting it by different file systems.. from linux to windows.

ratul

█████████████████
Not such a good idea, other components could get damaged.

well, you can then try reformatting with FULL NTFS format, according to this post, then all of the bad sectors will be revealed to the OS and you might get the number you want..

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Not sure if.intentionally damaging will help you much.
This thread only serves as evidenc.you tried damaging intentiinally, should they ever find.it.
Try holding a very powerful magnet close to it when its running :p

Wont work with any daily everyday magnet. Only powerful industrail magnets designed to lift cars and.similar load can erase an HDD.
(Saw a detailed program on TV)

Gaurav265

A PC GAMER
there is not any fixed way that you can damage your hdd in 1 or 2 days,its not a writer.if you try to damaging it there is a risk that its not get damage before warranty but after warranty it damaged...anyway search on google...

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
First start testing hd by any programme or go for performance benchmark then You can remove power cable from hd and then again re-insert it (power cable from psu to hd).. ..might be that would work.. .

one more way would be keep formatting it by different file systems.. from linux to windows.
Sure that warranty will get void.

Not sure if.intentionally damaging will help you much.
This thread only serves as evidenc.you tried damaging intentiinally, should they ever find.it.

Wont work with any daily everyday magnet. Only powerful industrail magnets designed to lift cars and.similar load can erase an HDD.
(Saw a detailed program on TV)
Can you tell from this thread who am I or what the serial of my HDD?

well, you can then try reformatting with FULL NTFS format, according to this post, then all of the bad sectors will be revealed to the OS and you might get the number you want..
That won't work, its a myth, all replaced sectors are revealed by smart, so smart has to show that no. of replaced sec>300.

there is not any fixed way that you can damage your hdd in 1 or 2 days,its not a writer.if you try to damaging it there is a risk that its not get damage before warranty but after warranty it damaged...anyway search on google...
Its already damaged, I need to break it faster, hey its not my fault, I just wanted a RMA, nothing else.

Gaurav265

A PC GAMER
atomatic power on/off is best way to give bad effect on hdd.after power failure hdd is the part which get most effected...

Gaurav265

A PC GAMER
then try to formatting your hdd as many times as you can and check that bad sectors increasing or not...

Top Bottom