How do I damage a HDD intentionally?

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
I scared about the seagate external 1TB harddisk ma bro own :) With this thread i learned how all ways I SHOULD NOT treat a HDD :D :D :p
Unless it gets damaged like a bad sector and Seagate won't give you a RMA until its dead beyond anything and during that period you won't be able to store anything on it as it might get corrupted, its like sitting helpless besides a dying patient whom the doctors won't treat as he is not dead enough.

gameranand

Living to Play
Unless it gets damaged like a bad sector and Seagate won't give you a RMA until its dead beyond anything and during that period you won't be able to store anything on it as it might get corrupted, its like sitting helpless besides a dying patient whom the doctors won't treat as he is not dead enough.

:lol: thats a nice analogy. :lol:

Myth

Cyborg Agent
You are spreading the disease :evil:
221 reallocated sectors have cropped up in my 500gb hdd :razz:
CrystalDiskInfo marks its health as 'Caution'

Myth

Cyborg Agent
See if it fails sea tools, if it passes no RMA for you, then do what I am about to do.

Bought it on 1st march 2009. So no warranty. :( My 7 year old maxtor 300gb still going strong now. :D
My friend and I got the same hdds together (so assuming same batch). His hdd crashed a month back. :(

Btw, which particular seatool test to run ?

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Bought it on 1st march 2009. So no warranty. :( My 7 year old maxtor 300gb still going strong now. :D
My friend and I got the same hdds together (so assuming same batch). His hdd crashed a month back. :(

Btw, which particular seatool test to run ?
Quick test I think, see if there's something called SMART test, if not run quick test.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Quick test I think, see if there's something called SMART test, if not run quick test.

Doesnt matter actually. Warranty has expired. Will move the hdd to storage/backup only.
I ran a few basic tests yesterday, bugger passed all.

*1TB WD Black, here i come* :bananana:

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Doesnt matter actually. Warranty has expired. Will move the hdd to storage/backup only.
I ran a few basic tests yesterday, bugger passed all.

*1TB WD Black, here i come* :bananana:
Its a beast, make sure to get the 1002FAEX model that has 64MB cache, older FALS model has 32MB only, both are sold at slightly different prices, FALS wll be a little cheaper.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Its a beast, make sure to get the 1002FAEX model that has 64MB cache, older FALS model has 32MB only, both are sold at slightly different prices, FALS wll be a little cheaper.

Yeah, I had my eyes on that one for quite some time now. Just a matter of time. Got too many things lined up :razz:

Myth

Cyborg Agent
:lol:
@Myth: As it is out of warranty you can't do much about it.

Thats what I thought.
Turns out seagate warranty validation thinks otherwise. It is in warranty till 24-Dec-2013 :lol:
Again we face two more problems:
1. I have to make sure its fails seatool tests by dec-2013
2. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/shopping/...ng-advice-thread-kolkata-249.html#post1837074

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Thats what I thought.
Turns out seagate warranty validation thinks otherwise. It is in warranty till 24-Dec-2013 :lol:
Again we face two more problems:
1. I have to make sure its fails seatool tests by dec-2013
2. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/shopping/...ng-advice-thread-kolkata-249.html#post1837074
RMA it and sell it ;)

Top Bottom