How do I damage a HDD intentionally?

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Then you'll be having hard time increasing them 10 fold. :|
See my problem, now my Adata External HDD has 208 such replaced sector, but it has long stopped updating and so I use it, and also never faced any data corruption on it, but on seagate I got corrupt OS, BSOD and data lost, which bugs me, looks like I'll use this as my expendable drive(drive in which I keep only my games, intstalled).

gameranand

Living to Play
Well your best bet is to try damaging the drive before warranty goes out of the window and I guess that in future you are never going to get a Segate product. Good thing that I didn't bought any Segate drives either, only WD drives so far. :)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
you could try and kepp it running in a hot place. use a hair dryer on it while only plugging the power cord to rotate the platters..

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Disclaimer: I won't be held responsible for anything very bad happens to HDD if anyone actually uses this method

1. Plug the HDD in your rig in such a way that you can yank it out anytime i.e. hot swap bay.
2. Start coping a big continuous file like a >10GB iso or rar or zip file.
3. After the copied content reaches ~30-40% of total size, disconnect the SATA power port from the HDD.
4. After the copied content reaches ~30-40% of total size, disconnect the SATA data port from the HDD.
5. Don't plug in the HDD without restarting your PC.

Repeat the process ~25-30 times using one of the step between 3&4. For best result, Use in this sequence:{ 1-2-3-5, 1-2-3-5, 1-2-4-5, 1-2-3-5, 1-2-4-5 }

Congrats! Now you have successfully damaged your HDD. :facepalm:

Theodre

In the zone
I scared about the seagate external 1TB harddisk ma bro own :) With this thread i learned how all ways I SHOULD NOT treat a HDD :D :D :p

Top Bottom