Hiding files in a computer

anarchy0x

In the zone
What would be the safest way to hide your stuff in computer? Should I download a software like Folderlock or should I just shift the files I want to hide in say, a game folder?Or should I just create a whole new partition which is only accessible to me? I do have user password set but I had to share the password with family as in emergency, they may need to access the pc too.

Flash

Lost in speed
Creating a new partition with limited access will be a viable option.
Though you hide your contents via folderlock or in hidden folder, a simple search with guessable words, can reveal your contents.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I ,usually compress them and unzip when needed again compress-unzip,.,though dont have too much to hide:)

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
No folder lock, no hiding files. Use TrueCrypt. Create an encrypted file container big enough to accommodate all your 'secret' files or use a dedicated partition. Mount the encrypted file or partition and use it just like an ordinary drive. Set a time so that truecrypt will dismount the drive after the set time of inactivity. Nothing can beat truecrypt when it comes to securing your files.

gameranand

Living to Play
Use this code
Code:
if EXIST "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
if NOT EXIST Locker goto MDLOCKER
:CONFIRM
echo Are you sure u want to Lock the folder(Y/N)
set/p "cho=>"
if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
if %cho%==y goto LOCK
if %cho%==n goto END
if %cho%==N goto END
echo Invalid choice.
goto CONFIRM
:LOCK
ren Locker "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
attrib +h +s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
echo Folder locked
goto End
:UNLOCK
echo Enter password to Unlock folder
set/p "pass=>"
if NOT %pass%==type your password here goto FAIL
attrib -h -s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
ren "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" Locker
echo Folder Unlocked successfully
goto End
:FAIL
echo Invalid password
goto end
:MDLOCKER
md Locker
echo Locker created successfully
goto End
:End
It will create a Locker Folder which would be a hidden and will be treated as system folder so won't show up in search results. Also if you enable showing system files then also the name wouldn't be locker so its hard to find.

Process
1. Create a txt file with any desired name
2. Copy paste this code in that file
3. Save the file with extension .bat
4. Double click that file you created with .bat
5. A new Folder would be created and shown to you
6. Copy the things you want to hide in that Locker Folder
7. Double click that .bat file again and press "y". Your Locker folder must be hidden now
8. If you want to make Locker visible then double click .bat file and press y then enter.

TIP - You can even hide that .bat file and use the address bar to access that and that way everything is a secret. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
good method but if " Show Hidden and Sstem File/Folders" options are enabled in folder options this gets kinda useless as the folder is always visible and accessible - so better use TrueCrypt.

Create a new partition, copy all your secret stuff into that partition, and use BitLocker to lock it. You can then hide that partition so that it may not appear in my computer.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ but that's not available for all of the windows versions ( and other OSes ) on the other TrueCrypt is a cross-platform app - works on mac, linux and windows flawlessly.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
is that really important - any type of files and folders can be hiddn/password protected provided one is using appropriate app/hardware.

Thetrueblueviking

No highs, No lows = Bose.
If suppose its a video and say, u play it using an xyz player which u have on ur taskbar. U right click on it and it ll show up even after u ve done so much. So u ll have to make sure ur file(s) arent seen in the recent file(s) list.
Correct ?

Use this code
Code:
if EXIST "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
if NOT EXIST Locker goto MDLOCKER
:CONFIRM
echo Are you sure u want to Lock the folder(Y/N)
set/p "cho=>"
if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
if %cho%==y goto LOCK
if %cho%==n goto END
if %cho%==N goto END
echo Invalid choice.
goto CONFIRM
:LOCK
ren Locker "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
attrib +h +s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
echo Folder locked
goto End
:UNLOCK
echo Enter password to Unlock folder
set/p "pass=>"
if NOT %pass%==type your password here goto FAIL
attrib -h -s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
ren "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" Locker
echo Folder Unlocked successfully
goto End
:FAIL
echo Invalid password
goto end
:MDLOCKER
md Locker
echo Locker created successfully
goto End
:End
It will create a Locker Folder which would be a hidden and will be treated as system folder so won't show up in search results. Also if you enable showing system files then also the name wouldn't be locker so its hard to find.

Process
1. Create a txt file with any desired name
2. Copy paste this code in that file
3. Save the file with extension .bat
4. Double click that file you created with .bat
5. A new Folder would be created and shown to you
6. Copy the things you want to hide in that Locker Folder
7. Double click that .bat file again and press "y". Your Locker folder must be hidden now
8. If you want to make Locker visible then double click .bat file and press y then enter.

TIP - You can even hide that .bat file and use the address bar to access that and that way everything is a secret. :)

Does this really works??

gameranand

Living to Play
good method but if " Show Hidden and Sstem File/Folders" options are enabled in folder options this gets kinda useless as the folder is always visible and accessible - so better use TrueCrypt.

Not really as the name of the folder in that case is something like Control_panel and some random numbers and most would think that its a system folder and won't touch it anyway. :p

Does this really works??

If it doesn't work then why the hell on earth would I post here. Do I look some kind of idiot to you ??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's another trick :

1. put all of your files ( yu want to hide into a folder say hidden ( the files you want to hide.)
2. Make a password protected zip archive of that folder say hidden.zip using winrar
3. Use an image file say something.jpg, the hidden.zip file should be in the same location as well
4. Now open a command prompt window in this folder - click on any blank area of this folder by holding the Shift button and choose Open Command Window Here use this command :
Code:
copy /b something.jpg+hidden.zip sweet.jpg

*i45.tinypic.com/2rp5fdi.png

5. this will create a new file called called sweet.jpg with the hidden.zip file embedded into it ( you can delete the something.jpg and hidden.zip now )
6. to get back the password protected zip file ie hidden.zip just rename sweet.jpg into sweet.zip and extract the files using winrar.

*i45.tinypic.com/f29g7p.png

Top Bottom