Help me run Gutsy Gibbon in my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
drgrudge said:
^^
That's what I'm going to do! How else can take the Data out of my HDD? :D WD is not working, can't burn CDs and also don't have USB drives.

I thought we need to install xubuntu in the same hardware, I'm going to use like what we do for windows. How is that possible? Can you point out some guides as how to install xubuntu in the HDD and then using in the other system than the one we'll be using?
thats why i suggested you wubi:p

mediator

Technomancer
To new windows users fluxbox etc might look like a little uncomfortable/geeky. But its all gold at the end and things will become pretty easy if u forget what windows is and what geekiness means!

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
mediator -
This was what I looked forward from people! Someone to tell it's not that difficult to switch, rest assured. :D

gary4gar -
I'm not sure if these small things matter. I've had enough with XP. If I'm not able to install this Xubuntu for any reason, then I'll consider trying that...

Guys, I'm going to do the things now (hopefully I get a blank CD today). Now to connect to internet, Prakash mentions *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59380 whereas rahimveron mentions *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=637420&postcount=13.

Both are different method. What rahimveron looks easy. What's the difference and what method I'll have to follow?

Last edited:

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
You go with this
rahimveron mentions *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...0&postcount=13.
This is the simple way. It is GUI, only clicking "yes". And u have to provide the username and PW supplied by the ISP and in the last part click "NO"

Rahim

Married!
+1 skghosh44 for backing my solution.
If you had DNS problem like the Modem changing Primary DNS o 192.168.1.1 then there is a solution to fix that too.
The link Prakash gave in post#44 of yours has the solution about editing the /etc/resolve.conf file and entering
Code:
nameserver 218.248.240.135
nameserver 218.248.240.208
as these are two DNS number given by Dataone. This is not necessary unless you have problem loading webpages etc all of a sudden.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
drgrudge said:
Guys, I'm going to do the things now (hopefully I get a blank CD today). Now to connect to internet, Prakash mentions *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59380 whereas rahimveron mentions *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=637420&postcount=13.

Both are different method. What rahimveron looks easy. What's the difference and what method I'll have to follow?
It'll work out of the box man .. :|

praka123

left this forum longback
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=515118&postcount=11
what @rahim said and me posted is the same :p
^my solution is basically for dataone bridge mode + enabling opendns.
it isnt really a big problem.just u need to answer sudo pppoeconf.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
praka123 said:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=515118&postcount=11
what @rahim said and me posted is the same :p
^my solution is basically for dataone bridge mode + enabling opendns.
it isnt really a big problem.just u need to answer sudo pppoeconf.
you sound too geeky acc to him :p
and i sound too much n00b :(

praka123

left this forum longback
^i am not a geek.a normal Debian user.i found nirvana in Linux back 4 yrs ago after leaving windows xp.neither do i program or knows networking basics.just an average user. :) go through my posts and say what is geeky out there? :?

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Guys, we got problems now.

1. First and foremost, both my optical drives didn't work. One didn't detect and one cound't read CDs.
2. Thought XP was my fate and was sulking.
3. Then went to cousin's house and transffered data.

My cousin got an idea! We tried to try to opn the iso file in his PC.

1. The idea was trying to use the virtual CD thing.
2. I already have the ISO downloaded. So we put the iso in deamon tools and mounted it.
3. Then we opened the contents and we saw wubi installer!
4. Clicked that and this window came:*images.howtoforge.com/images/wubi_ubuntu_on_windows/big/8.jpg without this one: *images.howtoforge.com/images/wubi_ubuntu_on_windows/big/6.jpg
5. Even this step came:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/wubi_ubuntu_on_windows/big/11.png
6. But this didn't happen:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/wubi_ubuntu_on_windows/big/12.png
7. Some i/o errors came. Then we had to abort that thing and automatically when we booted windows, it asked if we can uninstalled Wubi and we did.

The thing is now, in the bios we the boot device was CD Rom (actually there was none, but for the virtual drive) and not Hard disk.

Guys, tell us what mistake we did.... or no other way but to download xubuntu againg from Wubi?

Thanks for the support, guys. Awesome work!

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Hmm... downloaded Daemon tools and tried to mout the iso. Still no luck.

So right now downloading again with Wubi. The thing is it's downloading the Xubuntu 7.04 and not 7.06/7.10. It's downloading at the rate of 28KB/s right now. So I guess it should take another 7 hours max for this to complete.

Is it worth leeching 7.04? Can I upgrade from Xubuntu only later on?

mediator

Technomancer
WTH, I think u shud install gutsy (Gnome), it will work slow and then install fluxbox, it will work fast...and then Njoy!

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

^^
I couldn't understand what you posted. :p I've no other way of installing this other than this Wubi. :|

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Praka123 -
What's the point? I've done that yesterday itself. No other alternative AFAIK.

vish786 -
If you don't know:
1. My optical drives are not working
2. No USB drive booting options
3. Virtual drive install metho via Daemon tools also failed. Got some error.

If this is the case, how I'm able to install the OS?

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
drgrudge:its cool man 7.04 is as good as 7.10 don't worry.LEt it download and see if it installs or not.

@mediator:Read the full thread man.His PC has no USB,no optical drive,128mb RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom