Help me run Gutsy Gibbon in my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You can partition it from the Live CD as well.

And will you stop saying 'geeky' to well explained step-by-step procedures? You just say it cause you haven't explored the interfaces as much as you have for Windows. :\

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
QwertyManiac -
I might be well explained steps, but IMHO it looked geeky. I
ve not seen anything of that sort (ie typing so many lines of command) as in Windows/OS X. That's why I exclaimed thus.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Just my two cents

1) To install Ubuntu should try this
Wubi is an unofficial Ubuntu installer for Windows users that will bring you into the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu Linux as any other application. If you wanted to try Ubuntu, this is for you.

*wubi-installer.org/images/wubi.png

may be you should try this
Wubi - The Easiest Way to Linux

its really easy:)

2) Linux alternative of windows software
One thing that I noticed Ubuntu really needed was a place for newer users to be able to find out what apps to use. I know when I first started Linux less than a year ago, my biggest questions were "where is the Linux winamp" or "what is the Linux version of _______ program." So the purpose of this thread it to make a conversion chart. This will be a work in progress for a long time, so please chime in with good ideas for conversions. Only open source stuff please, and only the most developed programs in each category so as to not confuse. And nothing that isn't in the main/universe also please. I will also list programs that have Window's or OSX ports since a new user might not have any experiance with OSS).
View LIST

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If you haven't got around to finalising the distro, I would recommend going with a slackware based distro. Vector Linux would be a much better choice than ubuntu.
Xubuntu maybe much lighter on RAM but still considering it's ubuntu it is still a bit heavy on processors. Not that ubuntu will be unusable or anything. But, vector would do a much better job as it's optimised to run on a lot slower PC's.
For word and stuff don't go for Openoffice, it's too heavy though the later version are getting a bit lighter. For PDF's, if you're just gonna read pdf's then go for lightweigth xpdf.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
@drgrudge

i hav a similar config with 500 MHz speed...

1.)use distro wat people suggested.... download the respective iso. Dont break ur head too much

around with any other distro, it will confuse u much more.(as u exclaimed u no nothng)

2.)yes, since ur needs r too basic... go ahead

3)i have an 15' inch too, it supports 1024*768 also, so u can either choose 800*600 or 1024*768....

no worries.

4)if u hav an ethernet card, then theirs no issue of connectin to net, u can get connected directly

to net in Live CD too.:)....

5)my experience says.... "YES"

first of all download iso and burn it... run the "Live Cd" u can easily figure out urself that its

too easy to run & configure, & its nothing like ur thinking.

Before trying other things, Run Live CD & get urself SATISFIED. :)

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

3 things that I wanted to tell you -
1. 1024*768 worked in the system, but it was so "small" and looked odd.
2. I forgot to mention about my BIOS. The CMOS battery is dead and so the time/date is not working. When I'm booting my PC after a long time (say 20 days or so), I need to manually goto BIOS and do the changes. Won't there be issues now in case of Linux?
3. Incase I'm having dual OS - XP and Xubuntu, how do I select the OS I wanna use?

vish786 -
Thanks a lot. Got my hope high after reading this. :D Amazing man! I'll let you know what happened tomorrow.

gary4gar -
Thanks for the list and Wubi. I heard that b4, but gonna try that. D/led that and going thro the guide *www.howtoforge.com/wubi_ubuntu_on_windows. As I'm already d/ling Xubuntu, it won't be required as of now. If I face any issues in installing, then I'll use that. :D

mehulved/infra_red_dude -
I'll give Xubuntu Gusty Gibbon a shot. In case it's not that fast, I'll leech other distro and see it goes abt.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
drgrudge said:

In the OS, increse the Icon size to 48X48 & font size to 10 points

2. I forgot to mention about my BIOS. The CMOS battery is dead and so the time/date is not working.

It costs Rs 20 yaar, buy a new one.

3. Incase I'm having dual OS - XP and Xubuntu, how do I select the OS I wanna use?

After u install Linux, u can configure GRUB for dual boot.

vish786 -
Thanks a lot. Got my hope high after reading this. :D Amazing man! I'll let you know what happened tomorrow.

I'll give Xubuntu Gusty Gibbon a shot. In case it's not that fast, I'll leech other distro and see it goes abt.

For the tasks u mentioned u want to do on your computer, better try out Zenwalk

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
drgrudge said:
3 things that I wanted to tell you -
2. I forgot to mention about my BIOS. The CMOS battery is dead and so the time/date is not working. When I'm booting my PC after a long time (say 20 days or so), I need to manually goto BIOS and do the changes. Won't there be issues now in case of Linux?
1. We'll see what'd be the case post-install of any distro, can't say things right now, the 810 adapter is rather weak :)

2. Not a problem. (Might encounter security certificate warnings while browsing though, if the time's not right, but that's not a worry if you set it right each time or let Ubuntu sync.)

3. The menu will appear like this. A selection based menu during boot-up so you can select whatever OS you desire to boot within a counter time frame.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
drgrudge said:
:D

The_Devil_Himself-
So you're asking to format the HDD, before poping in the Xubuntu CD? That is, remove D, E and F and then try installing Xubuntu.

Also how to format HDD in windows? I reffered to this article *www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html, but my PC showed Disk overlay error.

The iso is 566 MB, you think it 500mb is enough?
I was saying that since it is your first time with linux(;)) it will be difficult for you to spot the xp partition while installing linux and besides you will need to format your other 3 partitions to install linux.........So format all 3 non-xp partitions(back up all your imp. data) in XP itself before installing linux......cos then there will be only one partition having data and all other will be free....so easy to recognise.

DUDE I dint ask to format your hard disk i just asked you to format all 3 non-xp partitions(d:,e:,f: drives).Lol and you don't need any article to format drives in XP macboy just right click on the drives and select format.

Swap file\partition is no way related to the size of iso image.Normally a swap file of double your RAM size is recommended....so 500mb is good enough.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

gx_saurav -
Not the question of Rs. 20. I can't upgrade it even if I want to. It's unusable now.
We're spoilt for choices, reg. OSes. Let me first try this one and see. Thanks for the suggestions...

QwertyManiac -
Thanks for the screen. Looked good. :D

The_Devil_Himself -
Haha... that's easy. Till tomorrow, 3 PM, I'll leave uTorrent and after that will go to my cousins house to get the CD and do the hardware and OS realted stuffs.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

^^
That's what I'm going to do! How else can take the Data out of my HDD? :D WD is not working, can't burn CDs and also don't have USB drives.

I thought we need to install xubuntu in the same hardware, I'm going to use like what we do for windows. How is that possible? Can you point out some guides as how to install xubuntu in the HDD and then using in the other system than the one we'll be using?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Don't do that.. Graphic etc settings vary system by system, even architecture etc, will create a lot of issues. Better not try that lest you wish us to help you reconfigure your X system and such again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom