Hdd buying advice

-=[DDS]=-

G!ZMo FReeK
500GBx2 oR 1TBx1

i Want to buy a 1TB hdd but i want to know that which one to buy SeaGate or WD ???
& should i buy 500GBx2 or 1TBx1 ???
Whats the difference between them ??{except for price, pls dont consider price factor}
is there any perfomance difference or any other difference pls advice guys.

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
1TB HDD are yet to have stable technology...or maybe something else I do not know. My friend and I had purchased WD (green) 1TB HDDs at different times in different cities...both developed bad sectors within 2 months of normal usage. I do not feel performance-wise there is any issue as they work fine (although I cannot quote the exact transfer rate if you ask me)...

I will suggest you to go with 500GBx2

mitraark

Decrepit
If you don;t buy a 1 TB which only costs Rs 3100 , you will suffer loss. 1 TB is the way to go now. Seagate 7200.12

OP
D

-=[DDS]=-

G!ZMo FReeK
i Told before also that pls dont advice from price point, pls tell me is there any major ADVANTAGE or DISADVANTAGE in both the ways.
As my friend told me that buying 2 500GBs is good but hu makes your system slow as OS & proc has to manage 2 drives is this true ???

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
^^^ i agree with gagan.
Lots of people are complaining abt 1 TB HDDs. Better to remain at safe side...

Dont worry abt slow performance with two HDDs. If you hav a proccy that can handle 1TB then it can handle two 0.5 TB HDDs with ease :)

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
I would say 1 TB...and in between WD and Seagate it depends on which model you choose(WD has 4 models Green, Blue, Caviar black, Caviar black SATA III 64MB Cache)...though WD is better..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I think 7200.12 and WD Black are currently very reliable. I am using 7200.12 for couple of months and haven't face any crashes etc. If you want to be on safe side, get two 7200.12 500gig HDDs and no WD Green or Blue.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
Go for a single HDD of 1TB. 2 HDD means twice the power consumption + twice cable cluttering.
@IMO WD black models are good, don't go the green. They are really slow in terms of read/write speed.

sudhanshu39

Broken In
IMO go for 2 Green HDDs. It will consume less power and if you place OS in one HDD and pagefile in another HDD. Performance will be better.
As far as reliability is concerned there is proof, evidence or consensus.

OP
D

-=[DDS]=-

G!ZMo FReeK
i Have 500GB WD GREEN.i Want to upgrade it to 1TB or 1.5TB {only if my budget permits}.
i Asked my dealer he told that if i want 1TB he will give it to me in exchange of my 500GB with just 1200-1300 bucks.
But should i take that 1TB or another 500GB.
PlS advice guys waht should i do as price is not the point in here if it goes till 2200rs

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
keep your 500GB Green (as a backup device) and get new 1TB HDD. If you have any other HDD as backup, then getting 1TB in exchange for 500GB + cash is a good option.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
Exchange your 500GB with 1TB HDD as WD Green Edition is slow in both reading and writing.

Get a 1TB Seagate 7200.12.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
WD Green is not that slow like u all think. I use it and i am satisfied. Moreover which i have it has 32mb cache not 16mb. Some are 7200rpm. The real life difference between 16 and 32 is not that much. Its the normal blue that is 16mb though higher are available.

Anyone with 7200.12 or blue or black and win7. What HDD experience index u have?

Last edited:

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
HD Tach 3.0.1.0 Synthetic Test (8 MB File)

Seagate 7200.12, 1TB, 7200rpm, 32MB buffer size, 2 platters
Average read speed(MBps) = 106.4
Average write speed(MBps) = 102.1

WD Black Edition, 1TB, 7200rpm, 32MB buffer size, 3 platters
ARS = 89.3
AWS = 87.8

WD Green Edition, 1TB, 5400rpm, 32MB buffer size, 3 platters
ARS = 75.7
ARS = 76.9

Top Bottom