Hardware price list/spec sheet

^i had considered this model briefly before settling for the mp88hv-the reason being that i saw some unfavourable reviews about it on amazon,youtube etc where people have complained that it displays dark lines while showing certain shades of colors,which is really annoying.

It was suggested that some poorly made cheaper IPS panels suffer from this defect,which may cause such visual artifacts to appear unpredictably-i virtually being a noob in this area(display technology) can't confirm whether this is true or not.

Yes this monitor was rather expensive-for that price,i could have perhaps bought 2 entry level 21 inch monitors,hence i am feeling a bit apprehensive right now.Actually my primary need to get a display with 2 hdmi ports ultimately lead me to choose this over several other models(i was really interested in getting a samsung 27 inch display which costed around the same,but had only 1 hdmi port).

Considering that amazon has already dispatched the monitor from their warehouse,will they allow me to cancel the order right now(in case i wanted to)?It was purchased via COD btw.Do you think buying it was perhaps a wrong decision?

Do you know anything about hdmi switches?if i bought a monitor with only 1 hdmi port,and planned on using it with a switch to connect 2 or more pcs to it,do you think it would work out in the long run?
I recommended that LG freesync one based on specs. Not exactly sure if it has quality control issues (i feel 4.1 stars in amazon is good enough). If you get a monitor with some issues, you should be able to get it replaced (like backlight bleed, etc).

If you really need 2 HDMI ports, keep it. As I said earlier, if you haven't used stuff like freesync, etc earlier, you won't miss anything. But other monitors do have others port, like VGA or display port along with HDMI, so they don't exactly have just 1 port. Not sure about HDMI switches.

quicky008

Technomancer
Got the monitor yesterday-the initial impressions are pretty good.The screen looks a bit too bright for my liking,so i had to dial down the brightness and contrast settings to acceptable levels .Also i didn't notice any significant amount of ips glow or backlight bleed on my unit.

However there are 2 odd quirks that rather baffled me-it seems to display a very faint black line of sorts(like a shadow almost)along the left edge of the panel-its visible only when one looks at it at an angle,but seems to disappear when seen straight.Also its not easily noticeable unless one is viewing it against some white colored background(such as while browsing,viewing pdf or doc files etc).I am not sure whether its like this by design or its some kind of optical illusion that's being caused due to the improper positioning of the eye in front of the monitor.

Secondly i noticed that the monitor seemed to automatically change the brightness levels from time to time depending on what i was doing-quite like the adaptive brightness feature of smartphones in fact.Was it being caused by the smart power saving function that is built into the monitor?It was set to low by default and i haven't changed it till now.

Also does it have any kind of tilt adjustment feature?By default it seems to be tilted a bit forward which looks kind of odd and i would like to tilt it back so that it looks straight-is there any way of doing that?

Last edited:
I observed the automatic brightness in my laptop, found the culprit to be a power saving option in Intel graphics settings. Try turning off power saving features, I really find that to be annoying.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
a friend of mine is looking for a new motherboard for his 3rd gen i5 cpu,but is having a hard time finding one.Although certain h61 mobos are available from brands like zebronics,he doesn't want to go for those as they are known to be unreliable.

what other options does he have in this case?do companies like gigabyte,asus etc no longer produce boards for these older platforms?

is it safe to get refurbished mobos from sites like aliexpress?

They don't do and you can get one from Ali Express. Got one for my friend and the sweet little thing took 62 Days to reach.

My suggestion : Use Ali Express Standard Shipping instead of China Post Registered Air Mail.

shreeux

Movie Buff
They don't do and you can get one from Ali Express. Got one for my friend and the sweet little thing took 62 Days to reach.

My suggestion : Use Ali Express Standard Shipping instead of China Post Registered Air Mail.

Any cost difference or delay days?
What about customs duty?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
look wise it did look a little old but unused. Old due to may be little corrosion .... the white slots mainly pci-e x1 looked a little yellowish. Visible corrosion on back I/O panel. But everything is working with core i3 3220 and 1 4Gb Hynix and another 4GB Corsair Vengeance Ram.

quicky008

Technomancer
in the lg monitor i bought recently,there were some prominent scuff marks on the panel which looked like imprints left by the cloth like material in which the panel was covered in its original packaging.The monitor was enclosed in a tightly packed box and hence its quite possible that the cover had been pressing against it for quite a long time,thereby leaving those annoying marks in the process.However as i hadn't checked it earlier,i failed to notice it.These marks caught my eye recently while i was inspecting the monitor.

The monitor itself is working fine and doesn't seem to have any flaws or defects,except for the aforementioned marks,that is,which are rather irksome.Till now,i hadn't thought of returning the monitor-but after discovering these marks,i am wondering whether returning it would be worthwhile or not.

The deadline from amazon to return the monitor ends on 30th june-should i ask them for a replacement or continue to use this monitor and turn a blind eye to those marks instead?If the replacement unit that they send me has other defects like backlight bleeding etc then it would perhaps be even more of an annoyance.So please suggest what i should do.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
in the lg monitor i bought recently,there were some prominent scuff marks on the panel which looked like imprints left by the cloth like material in which the panel was covered in its original packaging.The monitor was enclosed in a tightly packed box and hence its quite possible that the cover had been pressing against it for quite a long time,thereby leaving those annoying marks in the process.However as i hadn't checked it earlier,i failed to notice it.These marks caught my eye recently while i was inspecting the monitor.

The monitor itself is working fine and doesn't seem to have any flaws or defects,except for the aforementioned marks,that is,which are rather irksome.Till now,i hadn't thought of returning the monitor-but after discovering these marks,i am wondering whether returning it would be worthwhile or not.

The deadline from amazon to return the monitor ends on 30th june-should i ask them for a replacement or continue to use this monitor and turn a blind eye to those marks instead?If the replacement unit that they send me has other defects like backlight bleeding etc then it would perhaps be even more of an annoyance.So please suggest what i should do.

are those anyway causing vision issue like blurred text or something like that.e those visible when the monitor is On ? If so you better get it replaced. I guess you have IPS panel but backlight bleeding can occur at any point of time later so that's no reason to replace a monitor if you are facing issues with it.

I've replaced ( under warranty ) samsung monitor panel for backlight bleeding issue so why suffer with those scuff marks. Get it replaced.

quicky008

Technomancer
^no they are not visible when the monitor is on-one can see them only when the panel is exposed to some bright light source.

Those marks aren't causing any blurriness or other visual anomalies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^no they are not visible when the monitor is on-one can see them only when the panel is exposed to some bright light source.

Those marks aren't causing any blurriness or other visual anomalies.

Then it's fine but still a concern remains if at some point later say you need to RMA the unit and the technician guys can point it as physical damage.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I highly doubt this. Single thread score is too good to be true.

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - Price performance comparison

quicky008

Technomancer
i have been waiting for a long time to upgrade the cpu and mobo of my system.

The ryzen 3600 looks good but the availability of lower priced motherboards for it is an important cause for concern.

Some popular tech channels on youtube have uploaded some videos recently wherein they've demonstrated certain 3rd gen ryzen cpus(such as the 3600) running successfully even on A320 chipset based motherboards.So is it a good idea to get a sub 10k board (like the Gigabyte b450m ds3h) and pair it with this cpu? Gigabyte seems to have released supposedly stable bios updates for many of their b450 boards in the last few weeks.

Also has any compatibility issues been reported with 3rd gen ryzen cpus and asus b450 motherboards?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^I say don't take the risk especially if you have been waiting for long(whats a few more weeks of waiting if already waited so long). Keep checking reddit threads for this.

quicky008

Technomancer
Some users have suggested that msi will be launching a few b450 max series motherboards which will work with the 3rd gen cpus out of the box.But till now there is no confirmation as to when they might be actually released.

There's already a page for b450 tomahawk max motherboard,which looks like an upgraded version of the current b450 tomahawk motherboard:

B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | Motherboard | MSI Global

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some users have suggested that msi will be launching a few b450 max series motherboards which will work with the 3rd gen cpus out of the box.But till now there is no confirmation as to when they might be actually released.

There's already a page for b450 tomahawk max motherboard,which looks like an upgraded version of the current b450 tomahawk motherboard:

B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | Motherboard | MSI Global

"AMD also announced that all motherboards that support Ryzen 3000 processors out of the box will come with a new badge to help simplify things." So let the dust settle first.

Third-Gen Ryzen Not Fully Backward Compatible, X570 Chipset Doesn't Support First-Gen Models, AMD Explains

Summary : B450 and X470 is the most compatible chip for all generations of Ryzen cpus so in compatibility front they are evn better than newer x570.

quicky008

Technomancer
what would be the best cpu for a sub 20k build right now? A friend wants my recommendation for his next gaming build-his budget is around 24k for cpu+ram+mobo.

I originally wanted to suggest the ryzen 5 1600,but he's leaning towards i5 9400f as he's under the impression that it would be faster for gaming.

So which one should he get for his pc?Will the i5 9400f be able to run all games comfortably for the next 4-5 years?Or will the ryzen cpu be more future proof as it has 12 threads?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
what would be the best cpu for a sub 20k build right now? A friend wants my recommendation for his next gaming build-his budget is around 24k for cpu+ram+mobo.

I originally wanted to suggest the ryzen 5 1600,but he's leaning towards i5 9400f as he's under the impression that it would be faster for gaming.

So which one should he get for his pc?Will the i5 9400f be able to run all games comfortably for the next 4-5 years?Or will the ryzen cpu be more future proof as it has 12 threads?
i5 9400f hands down unless alternative is Ryzen 3600 which is not possible in 24k budget currently.

if you can manage a 3400g build with A320 mobo, it'ts a decent build @ < 20k.
People are having issues running ryzen 3xxx series with even costly B450/X470 mobos currently not to mention most A320 mobos won't even get the bios update for ryzen 3xxx processors.

nac

Aspiring Novelist

Assuming he doesn't have GPU with him right now, 9400F won't fit in his budget with GT 1030.
As icebag said, 34ooG seems like a good choice for the budget. If he wants stronger single core performance for his gaming then either compromise on CPU and go with i3 or spend more and get 9400F.

3400G+B450+8GB - 23k
9100F+B360+8GB+1030 - 23.5k
1600+B450+8GB+1030 - 26.5k
8400/9400+B360+8GB - ~26 - 27k
9400F+B360+8GB+1030 - 28.5k

Top Bottom