Hardware price list/spec sheet

quicky008

Technomancer
is now a good time to upgrade one's cpu and motherboard?

I've been thinking of getting a ryzen 2600 or i5 9400f based setup-will it be unwise to do so at this time given that amd might launch their zen2 cpus soon?

Even if zen2 is launched by july,will their mid-range cpus(that will be intended as replacements for cpus like the ryzen 2600) be priced within 15-16k in india?Or will they cost upwards of 20k at the beginning and will undergo a reduction in price much later?If i remember correctly,ryzen 2600 was priced around 18k or more when it was newly launched.

is now a good time to upgrade one's cpu and motherboard?

I've been thinking of getting a ryzen 2600 or i5 9400f based setup-will it be unwise to do so at this time given that amd might launch their zen2 cpus soon?

Even if zen2 is launched by july,will their mid-range cpus(that will be intended as replacements for cpus like the ryzen 2600) be priced within 15-16k in india?Or will they cost upwards of 20k at the beginning and will undergo a reduction in price much later?If i remember correctly,ryzen 2600 was priced around 18k or more when it was newly launched.
Expect prices similar to the launch price of Ryzen 5 2600. You can save some extra money by then, realistically not expecting it to be priced under 15k. The i5 9400F at 12.5k is very good for India, very close to direct conversion US price.

In terms of raw performance, 2600 is still better than i5 9400F. The gap between the two in gaming can be closed with overclocking & higher frequency RAM (3200MHz).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
primeabgb website got a makeover and several things are broken. They can't hire a competent web developer yet :facepalm:
Mdcomputers had gone through a similar process(I preferred their earlier version which was same as vedant,just hoping they too don't follow the same suit). It seems like having heavily javascript dependent site for even minor searches/sorting is the trend nowadays(aka more flashy but less substance).

quicky008

Technomancer
a friend of mine is looking for a new motherboard for his 3rd gen i5 cpu,but is having a hard time finding one.Although certain h61 mobos are available from brands like zebronics,he doesn't want to go for those as they are known to be unreliable.

what other options does he have in this case?do companies like gigabyte,asus etc no longer produce boards for these older platforms?

is it safe to get refurbished mobos from sites like aliexpress?

quicky008

Technomancer
i'm eager to buy a new monitor-i'm torn between normal(flat) monitors and certain curved monitors that have become available recently.

my primary choice was a samsung 24 inch monitor that's available for 10k-but i observed that samsung has also launched some new curved monitors within the same price range.

Are curved monitors superior to flat monitors?As i'll be using it primarily for work and gaming,which one would be the better choice?

also is buying a larger display(27 inch) a bad idea in situations where one has to sit close to the monitor for long periods in order to work?

quicky008

Technomancer
Lg mp68vq, a 22 inch monitor is really a hot seller on amazon, and is quite cheap too.

Does anyone here have any experience with it? How's it's display quality?

Does lg/Samsung etc offer full 3 years warranty for products that are bought online?

quicky008

Technomancer
i have ordered the lg 24mp88HV monitor today after much hesitation-it seemed some members of this forum already have had some experience with it.

is this a good monitor?have i made the right decision by ordering it-can someone please share their views on this matter.

i needed a monitor with 2 hdmi inputs and this is one of the few models that had this feature,hence i opted for this-lets hope i wont regret this decision.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is considered a good monitor & is often recommended on indiangaming reddit.Also here is a detailed review *www.displaygeeks.com/lg-24mp88hv-review/

quicky008

Technomancer
Yeah,i hope it will turn out to be a decent purchase.However the only thing which worries me is that several buyers of this monitor (on amazon.in) have mentioned that they experienced high levels of backlight bleed with this model,and hence had to return it and get a replacement/refund.Some people also claimed that they saw black lines and other artefacts while watching movies or gaming on this monitor.

I hope the one they send me wont have such glaring flaws-it would be very frustrating indeed to witness such defects in a new monitor.

I have ordered it from amazon btw.

(ps i noticed it doesn't support freesync-is that really important for gaming,esp. for people like me with nvidia gpus?)

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back light bleeding in IPS panels is inevitable,only difference is the degree to which it is present(& this is based purely on luck). If it is too much then you will have to get replacement/refund else if it is to the degree you can live with then keep it.

quicky008

Technomancer
I will only be able to make an assessment of the monitor's quirks(if any)once i get my hands on it-as it has been quite an expensive purchase,i am a bit apprehensive of what lies in store-lets hope nothing untoward will happen(fingers crossed).

Acer has launched some cheap freesync enabled monitors that support refresh rates upto 144 hz-are they any good?Are any of these so called gaming features like 1ms response time,high refresh rates,freesync etc really useful when it comes to playing games?

As LG mp88hv supports no such functionalities (its not even freesync enabled)-will its performance suffer in the long run?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a gamer so can't say for sure but usually 1ms response time in a cheap monitor is a gimmick & even if it is true,it is meant for pro gamers. High refresh rate only matters if you have a powerful enough graphics card capable of running games at frame rates matching monitor refresh rate. freesync seems most useful but it should not be a deal breaker. @chimera201 @SaiyanGoku @anupam_pb may know more.

I will only be able to make an assessment of the monitor's quirks(if any)once i get my hands on it-as it has been quite an expensive purchase,i am a bit apprehensive of what lies in store-lets hope nothing untoward will happen(fingers crossed).

Acer has launched some cheap freesync enabled monitors that support refresh rates upto 144 hz-are they any good?Are any of these so called gaming features like 1ms response time,high refresh rates,freesync etc really useful when it comes to playing games?

As LG mp88hv supports no such functionalities (its not even freesync enabled)-will its performance suffer in the long run?
Freesync is really a must-have of you can afford it IMO. As my laptop is now powerful enough, I enable v-sync & play few games locked at 72fps (half of 144Hz that monitor supports). The game definitely looks smooth. So freesync + AMD (Nvidia ones may or may not work) is good to have.

High refresh rate & low response times are more useful to pro PvP players of games like CS GO, R6, etc, which are fast-paced. Moving to a 144Hz lower response time display, I did feel it was a bit better, but not by a lot. I'm not a pro player in R6, so it didn't make up for my lack of skill. Also, I think the difference I experienced was mainly because of playing at 120+ fps vs 60fps earlier.

So, if you can afford, a 144Hz 1ms freesync monitor is great, but on a budget, 60Hz freesync one will do. Lack of those won't affect anything in the long run, you either have those or miss those & live with it. If you have never used those before, you won't even miss anything.

The monitor you bought seems expensive due to its design & speakers. If you can exchange it, get this maybe:
*www.amazon.in/LG-inch-60-96-Gaming...ords=24MP88HV&qid=1560779916&s=gateway&sr=8-4

quicky008

Technomancer
^i had considered this model briefly before settling for the mp88hv-the reason being that i saw some unfavourable reviews about it on amazon,youtube etc where people have complained that it displays dark lines while showing certain shades of colors,which is really annoying.

It was suggested that some poorly made cheaper IPS panels suffer from this defect,which may cause such visual artifacts to appear unpredictably-i virtually being a noob in this area(display technology) can't confirm whether this is true or not.

Yes this monitor was rather expensive-for that price,i could have perhaps bought 2 entry level 21 inch monitors,hence i am feeling a bit apprehensive right now.Actually my primary need to get a display with 2 hdmi ports ultimately lead me to choose this over several other models(i was really interested in getting a samsung 27 inch display which costed around the same,but had only 1 hdmi port).

Considering that amazon has already dispatched the monitor from their warehouse,will they allow me to cancel the order right now(in case i wanted to)?It was purchased via COD btw.Do you think buying it was perhaps a wrong decision?

Do you know anything about hdmi switches?if i bought a monitor with only 1 hdmi port,and planned on using it with a switch to connect 2 or more pcs to it,do you think it would work out in the long run?

Last edited:
Top Bottom