Hard Disk Under 4K - Laundry list of Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I want to buy a new SATA Hard Disk for my PC. I have a budget of Rs.4000.

My System Config :
P4 2.0 GHZ
768 MB RAM (512 MB + 256 MB)
MSI PM8M V motherboard
Zebronics 7300 GT AGP graphic card

I would plug the HDD on my MSI PM8M V motherboard. I think it has a SATA I port. Will it be ok to connect SATA II HDD to it? I Know SATA II is backward compatible, but will I get any compatibilty issues with my current Seagate 40 GB IDE HDD?

Also I am confused about how much capacity to go for. From this page, I found that 320 GB(16 MB buffer) & 500 GB(32 MB Buffer) are my best bets.

I am tempted to go for the 500GB with 32 MB buffer as it would help in performance. Any other thing to look for in a HDD?

And which one should I go for a 7,200 RPM HDD or 10,000 RPM HDD? Does the increased RPM makes a difference.

I don't know how much my PSU is rated. Will adding a new HDD take a toll on PSU?

I would be using the HDD to install Linux distros on it. So compatibilty with Linux distros is a must.

Finally which brand Seagate/Western Digital/Hitachi ??

Bump.
I need it urgently guys. Please reply. :)

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
no issues, besides there comes PCI to SATA, check the link, such cards would be available in local market too.
So if your mobo does not have SATA then also you can go for them

Just bought 32 MB buffer 640GB Seagate few days back cost 3650 + 4%VAT

as per me best shot is Seagate 32 MB buffer HDD, its price is same as WD 640 GB which has 16MB buffer.
Hitachi would cost more, and damn why do you need 10000 rpm, just will waste extra time.
And talking about compatibility issue linux >> do not think there would be any trouble in there.

You need to check if you PSU is very old and if it does not has another 12 V power then it may be a problem.

Just buy a power plug in for the SATA power supply, SATA has different power in port.

Last edited:

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
acewin said:
+1. Go for it.

I dont think your MOBO does not support SATA at all. and SATA I should be just fine.

10,000 rpm? You dont even need to think about it. Besides any appreciable capacity wont fit your bill. High performance but higher failure rate/lower life.

The PSU should do just fine. Is it the local cabby-PSU? that would total to some true 250 watts (even though it says 400W ). And one HDD wont be much of a burden looking at the present hardware which you own. :)

Linux compatibility? You'll have a very very hard time finding HDDs that dont work with/support linux. :D

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Thanks for the inputs :)

I will be visiting Lamington road tomorrow to get the HDD.

And I read today that my mobo "MSI PM8M V" has some issues with SATA HDD's :confused:

But the issues weren't clarified by all, some sites said it they work without any hassles.

So I from your inputs, I am going for Seagate 640 GB Sata 2(32 MB Buffer). It will work as sata I as my mobo has SATA I port.

Does 16 MB & 32 MB buffer make a lot of difference?

IronManForever

^^ Well you may get any Western Digital(maybe cheaper) or Seagate. But for your budget; dont settle for anything less than 500 GB. 640GB as we said is the best bet.

And looking at your PC; I doubt that you are into anything mission critical/ gaming. I think its for casual use. And for that 16/32 MB wont make a difference. Just have a look at the price difference though. If its around 200~ between the 16MB and 32 MB model, get it... IF its something like 500; I advise you to settle for the cheaper one. :)

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I purchased WD 640GB(16MB Buffer) for Rs.3850(Incl taxes).
Now I am facing a problem of mounting it in cabinet as I am not able to remove my old cd rom, due to threads of the screws being washed out. :(

Hence I plugged in the WD HDD & placed it inside the cabinet without securing with screws. Is it ok? I have kept a paper under the Hdd to prevent any shorting happening due to contact with the metal cabinet.

its not good though ..... but u can make it safer by placing a soft foam piece or thermocol bracket between the cabby surface and the hard disk to absorb the vibrations ...

IronManForever

^ Foam would increase the heat collection; and HDDs easily get hot. Though they are somewhat immune to the temperatures encountered, then again.. :neutral:

@Cool G5 .. I wouldnt recommend such a mode of operation. is removing CD-ROM mandatory for placing the HDD?
You will have to help yourself with the task.

@ironmanforever :

Oops man... i almost forgot the heat issue ... My bad :p ...

@ gaurav:

dude u should try to fit the HDD in the HDD bay ony ... the temporary arrangement will never work good ... u can post some pics of the inside of ur cabby .. so that the problem can be figured out...

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@T159 - I purchased it here In Mumbai from Lamington road. Where are you located? Mumbai?

@IronManForever - My cabinet is fully packed up. No space at all, so was thinking of removing a spare CD-Rom. I will post the pic later in afternoon so you can get a clear view of space inside my cabinet & can suggest keeping that in mind. :)

no issues, besides there comes PCI to SATA, check the link, such cards would be available in local market too.
So if your mobo does not have SATA then also you can go for them

as per me best shot is Seagate 32 MB buffer HDD, its price is same as WD 640 GB which has 16MB buffer.
WHEN ? WHERE ? HOW ? I have exactly the money required, and I feel that if there is ANY investment I can make on my PC other than the 1GB RAM upgrade, without worrying about future compatibility with my would-be Deneb upgrade, it has to be a HDD. This one looks sweet :D

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
*img99.imageshack.us/img99/2798/resizedcabbyke8.th.jpg

Here is the pic of interiors of my PC's cabinet.

In the pic, you can see the new WD HDD placed on the cabinet's floor on a newspaper.

On top I have a IDE 40GB HDD mounted & secured in the bay. Over it I have a floppy drive & on top of floppy drive there are two Optical rom drives. The one on top is a samsung combo drive which I want to remove so as to mount the new HDD. Below it is the Liteon dvd writer which I wish to retain.

And do keep in the mind the wire clutter, which is already visible in the pic. Installing the HDD is going to be a damn tough job due to it.

Waiting for your suggestions.

shaunak

Tux Fan
If you screw thread is washed out you could try pulling it out with a straight plier. Once it get a little loose you should be able to unscrew it. Worked for me once.... with my floppy drive.

Ps: the cabinat rail may get damaged at the spot. But you can always screw in you new drive a little shallow... ie. little behind the position of you CD drive as it does not need to reach the front bezel.

(my floppy drive dosnt reach the front bezel ... but what the heck..)

Raccoon

Journeyman
Cool G5, if I were you, I'd never keep that new HDD that way. You are completely blocking airflow below the drive... and thats where the PCB and all is. Also, the drive is likely to move (when on) when its kept loose that way! If you are hell bent on keeping it that way, you could consider putting your new HDD where the old one is.

I think you need a new cabinet.

Better get a new cabby or throw away the floppy drive

How will that help? I dont think HDD will fit into floppy slot... or do they??

IronManForever

racoon said:
How will that help? I dont think HDD will fit into floppy slot... or do they??
Snugly , tightly fit. ;)

@ Cool G5, if you can sacrifice the Floppy drive; I think it will be OK. :) Better than buying a new cabby. I dont think you use your FDD anyway...

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Hmm.. even I was thinking of removing Floppy drive.

But I doubt whether it will fit in that floppy drive bay? Any idea? :Confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom