Graphics Cards related queries here.

clmlbx

Technomancer
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Gigabyte 80+ 460W Superb is good for 9800GT ?

which company 9800GT should be bought?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

If you want a gaming Graphics card as poor man's alternative for Work station card, then 9800GT is the solution. Top gear pointed out the CUDA and Physyx support. It is also having more horse power than HD 5670. The only advantage 5670 is having is DX11 support.
So if you are not buying it for gaming, then go for the 9800 GT.

+1. pro apps will utilize CUDA. not DX11.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Gigabyte 80+ 460W Superb is good for 9800GT ?

which company 9800GT should be bought?

Gigabyte 460W will be more than enough, looking at your config. well u may also look at FSP Saga II 400W or VIP 500W Gold, if u want it cheap. cause the Giggy PSU cost ~2.5k

abhidev

Human Spambot

@ 8k, u are having a only one option, that is HD 5750. Price will be starting from 8.2k
For PSU Gigabyte 80+ 460W Superb @ 2.2k will be ok

will it be compatible with ASUS P5GC-MX motherboard..also how is it compared to HD5770 and Geforce GTS 250...also which brand to go for???

Cilus

laborare est orare

will it be compatible with ASUS P5GC-MX motherboard..also how is it compared to HD5770 and Geforce GTS 250...also which brand to go for???

Listen, there is nothing like motherboard compatibility for Graphics card. If your motherboard is having a PCI Express X16 slot, then it will accept any PCI Express Graphics card. And HD 5750 is marginally better or almost same league in terms of performance with GTS 250. But it supports DirectX 11, 3 monitor support for Eye-Finity and consumes a lot less power than GTS 250.
So it is better option. And for HD 5770, it is better than HD 5750.

For brand, go for VX3D, MSI or PALIT. You can find some factory overclocked card from MSI I think.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Listen, there is nothing like motherboard compatibility for Graphics card. If your motherboard is having a PCI Express X16 slot, then it will accept any PCI Express Graphics card. And HD 5750 is marginally better or almost same league in terms of performance with GTS 250. But it supports DirectX 11, 3 monitor support for Eye-Finity and consumes a lot less power than GTS 250.
So it is better option. And for HD 5770, it is better than HD 5750.

For brand, go for VX3D, MSI or PALIT. You can find some factory overclocked card from MSI I think.

GTS250: VX450W is good one. or Corsair CX400W/Seasonic 380W needed.

HD5750: FSP Saga II 400W. or Gigabyte 460W. VIP 500W Gold.

however it'll also depend on the system specs. if one using a less power hungry system, Gigabyte 460W/FSP 400W can be used power GTS250.

Piyush

Lanaya

1 question
i know that 1g memory in graphic cards is needed for high resolutions
SO can any1 tell me exactly what is the probable limit for resolutionin the case of 512mb,1024mb variants

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

General rule of thumb, when on 1920 x 1080 or greater 1 GB is good to have as GPU RAM. Specially if AA/AF will be turned up.

Will run some tests once I get home, cannot remember if Rivatuner shows GPU memory consumption. Will try get back.

Piyush

Lanaya

^^ ok sure
thanks anyways
1 more thing can u plz explain AA and AF effect on games
u can post a good link too

/offtopic - why was this forum down for so many hours? I was getting 404 error, where as now when I am able to use this forum I see other guys have posted in the meantime ? how is that?

/offtopic - why was this forum down for so many hours? I was getting 404 error, where as now when I am able to use this forum I see other guys have posted in the meantime ? how is that?
I too had the same problem, and did not get email notifications for replies during that duration either

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Anti - Aliasing (AA):
Is a technique used to remove the distortion from images. All images are rendered by creating polygon shapes (primitives), and then joining them together. Now obviously a polygon does not have 'round' edges, so we will see jagged edges for non angular shapes. (Example a pipe or wheel). The graphic rendering system sees objects which will have edges of this manner, and apply an AA scheme to those portions of the image. These are basically again primitives which have a different level of opacity then the original image. These two are then joined at run time (the original smooth edges polygon+the AA supporting primitive) to create a non-jagged soft edge.

So if you set 4xAA as the render method it is actually rendering 4 primitives per pixel on your screen at run time...! It is extremely easy to correlate why the AA level immediately take a toll on the FPS.

A method(s) used by GPUs is Full Scene Anti Aliasing (FSAA) or Custom Filter Anti Aliasing (CFAA). You can say FSAA does the work in a full batch per frame. It takes the frame and renders it 2x or 4x times the normal resolution, and then down samples before it is pushed to the screen. So at 4x FSAA each pixel would have 16 super sample pixels. CFAA is a technology that ATI cards are using.

Anistropic Filtering (AF):
Is used to enhance the quality of 'textures' in images. It is used to show greater details at angles which are distant or oblique to the viewer. For example a farm house really far away. This is with respect to the camera and not actually the polygon. This takes up a huge amount of memory bandwidth. Lower resolution textures are used for objects that are further away from the camers (read player), to show the affect of distance.

To quicken this process a logic of 'mipmapping' is used. For example if a window is rendered using 256x256 pixels. Now you want to show this window at a distance, what does one do. It makes the window smaller in size --- but why use 256x256 pixels again..? So a shrunk version with a high quality filter is used. Any many such textures are 'stored' at run time, and re used over and over again. But this involves a lot of calculations and is resourceful on the GPU.

Now another issue arises. With so many mipmaps, when they are joined together, the 'joins' will not look nice. You will get uneven surfaces as distance is varied. We will see this as artifacts. This is corrected by using Trilinear filtering, in this method each mipmap is filtered along x-y axis but also with respect to the mipmap next to it. So as the angle is changed the AF will start to vary.

You have a good GPU. Try to run games, with these setting as a variable, you will start to see a difference. To notice AA, look closely at edges (no linear). And to notice AF look at distant objects. Yes these are important. They are the eye-candy drivers, and vary the performance of the game.

Resolution:
1. 1400 * 900 = 1260000 pixels x FPS
2. 1024*768 = 786432 pixels x FPS

By using (1) you are getting ~ 40% more pixels on the screen. Of course you will see better images, but the GPU has to do more work, so you might see a performance hit.

And since you might ask about Tessellation too..here it is.

Here is a good link to an article. If you are from a programing background you would understand the new powerful features and capabilities which are available via the enhanced API. This will take make game programing to a higher level, and greater advanced features will be shown. Game programmers will quickly adopt to this new technology, and we as end users will see more game on this codepath.

I personally feel Tessellation will 'change the way' 3D will appear on our screens. Basically as of now 3D is rendered via polygons. Shapes are drawn inside wireframes, and pieced together using multiple polygons. And this wireframe is drawn over and over really quickly to shown movement. What Tessellation offers is that: these polygons can be further subdivided automatically into smaller and more detailed shapes, and each of these shapes can be 'controlled' for color, geometry. It gives power for greater detail and image enhancement, with far far greater control. All ATI cards which are >= 4xxx series have this tessellation engine in-built. :smile:

To see a classic example, go to this link, and click on the wireframe buttons for the dragon and house. You will see the amount of polygon counts increasing by a massive amount to render the same image.

You could download the Unigine demo from the same link above, and run it. If you do not have Windows 7 and a GPU > HD4xxx, then run the demo in Dx9, and press F9 to see the wireframes. Its phenomenal.

And this is how a GPU functions:
The CPU is the central brain of the computer, and is managing everything. The CPU infact send the 3D data to the GPU. When it does this, it offloads a major task to the GPU.

The GPU is good at this, because the core is designed in a different manner. It is not a 'manager'. It is a HUGE calculation engine, which is extremelly data hungry ---> power hungery. Cause...

Basically a lot of mathematical calculations are done to convert from one format to another. This can be off loaded to the GPU core. The GPU core is efficient at doing this, cause it can calculate to really small decimal places. Light vertex numbers are done using this. So the GPU is really good at number calculations.

They have the architecture of 'stream processors'. This is the SIMD (single instruction multiple data) logic that the GPU uses. So multiple data points are applied a single instruction set in one go, very quickly. And these are all put in a pipeline -- which is the pixel pipeline. So imagine a pipe full of data which needs to have floating point calculations done on it. The data comes out of the pipe to the GPU and the calculation is done. Now there are multiple pipes like this which feed data to the GPU, which does the stream processing. GPUs are rated with the number of pixel pipelines available to the GPU.

This enables the GPU to quickly and efficiently process data. Perfect for 3D rendering or format transformation. It does all this, renders the 3D polygon image, and renders them on the screen.

Now correlate all of that, and you are good to go.....! Hope it helps...!

I too had the same problem, and did not get email notifications for replies during that duration either

however I was getting updates.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

@asigh, very informative, thanks.

gazdoc

Right off the assembly line

Around 40K

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

aROUND 40km thinking of ASUS p7p55-d mobo
intel i5 759
Corsair 2gb Ram 1366FSB
Corsair 650 PSU

Going for Asus P7P55-d
intel i5 750
Corsair 4gb
corsair 650 PSU
Iball workhorse cabby
extra fan iball 8cm
Thanx for the suggestion

pulsar_swift

Youngling

Ok guys.I want a graphics card to play few games on my DELL 19" widescreen Ultrasharp monitor 1440 X 900 is the max resolution it supports.

Here is my current config
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE with CM Hyper TX3
ASUS M4A785TD V EVO
4GB CORSAIR DDR3 (1333Mhz) RAM
WD Green 500GB
Seagate 320GB
1 LG DVD Drive
2 120 mm chasis fans and 1 80mm fan

most importantly PSU is VIP GOLD 500W

Preconditions: PSU will not be upgraded, so dont say please upgrade the PSU.

Suggest a card which will fit in ?

HD5670 is the current choice. But I somehow like HD5750. Budget is 8K

Top Bottom