Graphics Cards related queries here.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

^^^
gtx 460(1gb), will be out of my budget (10k max)
want to go with radeon this time and 5770 fits the bill for me

Then get Sapphire one @ 8.6k or MSI HAWK @ 9.2k

TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!

mohiuddin

Journeyman

@Cilus

thanx for the headsup bro
i am also suffering bad build quality of xfx (just today i had 4th rma of my 8600gt!!!!)
its just that service support of xfx has been good that i was leaning towards them
(everything i go with a problem they handover a new card to me)

is msi r5770 hawk a good choice??
i like the way it looks, has 7+1 supply, mil grade components
by looking at specs it looks a great version of the 5770

just worried about msi service support in my city

would you suggest any other alternatives??

yea,xfx s*cks worse...i m using a gig5770...josss

vishalg

AMD Fanboy

@furious_gamer and @Ishu Gupta
i guess smc has the best price among online retailers
5770 hawk for 8600:smile:

btw is 1k diff in price between the hawk and normal ver. justifiable??

also fellow members also suggested the 6850 (cheapest at 11200)
but it being a new card, only handful models are available atm and that too reference design

@mohiuddin
guess every digitian has atleast one bad experince to share about xfx!!!!!:twisted:

@all hardcore gamers
is this true??:???:

"On the 5700 they'll crank it down a notch as we get 128-bit memory, cutting the bandwidth in half from 256-bit. However, since it's gDDR5 memory (quad data rate) it will still offer sufficient bandwidth."

original article here MSI R5770 HAWK review

racdoy

Right off the assembly line

Could someone list the prices of GT 240, 9800 GT, GTS 250 from xfx, evga, msi or zotac? Thanks.

Cilus

laborare est orare

Zotac GT 240 1 GB GDDR5 @ 5.2K
Zotac GT 240 1 GB GDDR3 @ 4.8K
Zotac GT 240 512 MB GDDR5 @ 4.8K
MSI GT 240 1 GB GDDR3 @ 5.2K

MSI 9800 GT 1 GB @ 6.2K
ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT @ 6K

MSI GeForce N250GTS Twin Frozr 1GB @ 7.9K
Zotac GTS250 512 MB GDDR3 @ 6.3K
BIOSTAR GeForce GTS 250 1GB @ 6.3K (3 Yrs Warranty)

Source: Mediahome.in

racdoy

Thanks a lot Cilus. Do U happen to know the warranty period for MSI & ZOTAC? Is it also 3 yrs?

Cilus

laborare est orare

I think it is 2 Years. 3 yeras of warranty is given mainly by XFX.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

MSI offers 3 years, Zotac 2 years and upon registering you would get 5 years warranty.

^ nice compliation there!

so AFTER OC, gtx 4601gb performs better than OC hd6850.
+1 for Nvidia!!

one more observation is that AT STOCK SPEEDS, 6850 is faster than 460 in these benches.

its only AFTER A BIG OC that gtx 460 surpasses 6850 in all benches.
that means fermi gains a lot by OC.

CONCLUSION: so if you are not OC'ing the card, buy a 6850.
if you are, then buy a gtx460.

I would say HD6850 performs better than GTX460 when OCed. That's why In Dx10 bench the result is :

MW2 2560*1600 resolution :

HD 6850 OC : 84 FPS
GTX 460 OC : 76 FPS

and in DX 11 bench it's BFBC2 2560*1600 resolution :

HD 6850 OC : 30 FPS
GTX 460 OC : 29 FPS

also HD6850 consumes less power.

How could u remember exact date of release of drivers , its been 2 years hmmm its really a typo , i thought its DEC 2008

Thats Ok
Gr8 - So HD 6850 temperature should be over 100'DTemp

With MSI Cyclone GTX 460 many did 900Mhz with 80Deg Max load temp , Nvidia has Physx & cuda to take advantage

I've read about it once on jan 09 and still I can recall that.

The HD6850 guru3d has used is stock cooler based and MSI GTX 460 cyclone has a better cooler. With some 3rd party custom coler HD6850 will remain cool when OCed I reckon.

BTW, see this review :

MSI Radeon HD 6850 review

Overclocked MSI HD6850 with custom cooler

Core Clock: 973MHz
Shader Clock: 973MHz
Memory Clock: 4800 MHz

The temp reached upto only 70C

@ 2560*1600 this can can reach the performance of a stock HD6870

Very good comparison Topgear. However, 1 thing i need to ask, if the Ocing of both the cards in such a high degree can be done without a special cooling inside the cabinet or just default cooler is enough for it.

And HD 6850 has been released to compete against the GTX 460 768MB version, not with the 1 GB version, but still it can beat the 1 GB version in non Oced state and can compete neck to neck in Oced state. The performance difference in game is not at all anything high, its very very marginal. And look at the price point too, even in India, its 1k cheaper than the Non-Oced version of GTX 460 and in US market available @ $189 compared to standard $215 price of GTX 460 1 GB.
So hats of to AMD ATI.

And may be CUDA is a advantage to be more matured than ATI APP but PhysX, I really doubt that. Have a look at the review in Toms hardware regarding it. Using a middle range card for both game and PhysX will really cripple the performance.

A stock cooled HD6850 is not so good regarding temp when OCed but even a custom cooled normal MSI HD6850 can reach the performance of HD6870 which cost 3-4k more than HD6850 and the temp is only 70c when OCed.

So a custom cooled HD6850 is real winner and better than GTX460 IMO.

it is a decent oc comparison.but 6850 can work proportionatly upto 1010mhz.so d resultz u mentioned might change abit.

Not all gfx card OCs at same level - so some HD6850 can reach that speed but 930-950 Mhz speed can be considered as the average OC speed of HD6850.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare

Are yaar, Check the page 1st before posting. In my last but 2nd post I've already posted the price of all the GT 240 versions. It is 4.8K.

Tachyon1986

In the zone

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a graphic card of around 6K.
For Which one I should go ATI or NVIDIA and which one is the best for my system?
Card should be able to run this game with a resolution of 1600x900 with high graphic detail:
1. Need for Speed : Hot pursuit
2. Far Cry 2
3. Age Of Empires 3

My system configuration is:
1. Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
2. Motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board DG43GT
3. Ram: HP 2x2GB RAM@800FSB
4. Power Supply: ZEB - 600 W
5. HDD: 1. Seagate 1 TB
2. WD 500 GB

Boss , get rid of that PSU first like ssb1551 suggested. I suggest a Corsair VX450W . The Zebronics psu will fry your motherboard very quickly.

Cilus

laborare est orare

Look, this is unnecessary fuss regarding PSU. Even I have used my Zebronics Platinum 700W for 6 months with my old HD 5770 card without any problem. YA, it is only having 70% efficiency. But for running a HD 5670, it is more than enough. It can even power a HD 5750. If OP was to go for a high end GPU, then definitely changing PSU is the 1st thing to do, but for HD 5670, it is not required.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

Boss , get rid of that PSU first like ssb1551 suggested. I suggest a Corsair VX450W . The Zebronics psu will fry your motherboard very quickly.

A Myth or what to call it.. I am using HD4670 with 450W Zebby PSU for around 1 year and man, 600W is more than enuff for 5670. A friend of mine using his GTX260+Q9XXX with this 600W PSU.

Dont blame Zebronics for everything...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

^^well...the problem is not about efficiency. Though low efficiency means higher electricity bills.

But the real problem is the gradual wearing of you precious system by bad voltage regulation and ripple suppression in the long run. So, yes you won't notice anything now but your system is slowly deteriorating for sure.

shiv_buwade

Thanks Guy,
But I think I need minimum of 500-550Watt PSU which one will you suggests.
As I am have 5x120mm fan in the cabinet.

Top Bottom