Graphics Cards related queries here.

mohiuddin

Journeyman
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Had a q. Can anyone tell me wht is the improvement gone in the 6xxx series card over the 5xxx series?

6800 r midrange in the 6xxx line but 5800 r high-end.but,6870 perform on par with 5870 with 2/3 die size area of that 5870.6870 r better tesselator than 5870 in today's dx11 based gaming parameter.beside,6xxx support stereoscopic 3d.they comes with lowerer price too.n,their cfx scaling is also pretty impressive.

ssb1551

Technomancer

"6870 perform on par with 5870" - from d benchmarks at tomshardware n anandtech it doesn't seem tht way!5870 outperforms 6870!Rest all r correct tho I dunno much abt cfx scalin property!

Cilus

laborare est orare

There are some enhancements in 6XXX cards.

1. It has a new Anti-aliasing mode (Morphological AA)and better Anisotropic filtering.
2. Improved Tessellation performance up-to twice the performance of that of the 5000 series.
3. It has AMD HD3D, equivalent to Nvdia's 3D vision. This of course will require separate 3D Goggles. HD3D includes support for Blu-ray in 3D third-party 3D applications.
4. UDV(Universal Video Decoder) 3.0
IUVD 3.0 allows for
* Hardware acceleration decode of two 1080P HD streams
* Compatible with Windows Aero mode - playback of HD videos while Aero remains enabled
* Video gamma - independent gamma control from Windows desktop.
* Brighter whites - Blue Stretch processing increases the blue value of white colors for bright videos
* Dynamic Video Range - Controls levels of black and white during playback

clear_lot

Journeyman

@ hdknitro any special reason you chose the sapphire one ove the msi one?

the msi one is listed at 15900, but AFAIK, sapphire does not have voltage control like others. this would reduce your OC capability.

tkin

Back to school!!

the msi one is listed at 15900, but AFAIK, sapphire does not have voltage control like others. this would reduce your OC capability.
The sapphire card is a reference one, so it supports voltage control, but its uses a new CHiL's CHL8214 voltage regulator in place of the volterra one that was used in all 5xxx series, as a result oc utilities still can't use voltage control on most of these cards, luckily sapphire has designed their own oc utility called TriXXX, its will soon support all 1st gen reference HD6870/HD6850.

Sapphire(and xfx and most other aibs) have disabled voltage control on their latest HD5xxx gpus(except asus and msi), but the 1st gen HD6870 are reference model, all support voltage control.

Found this in one of the TPU forums:
Unwinder, the coder of Afterburner says development is underway on a new version that supports i2c voltage adjustments for the CHiL CHL8214 voltage controller and understandably he is reluctant to give an ETA.

clear_lot

Journeyman

^good luck to unwinder then!
anyway, doesnt the 6870 has little room for OC as it is? read on techpowerup that without voltage tweak, they got it to 975Mhz core and with max voltage tweak of 1.5(!) volts, they got it to ~1035Mhz. so it aint a good overclocker.

lost.thunder

Broken In

I am planning to buy a desktop this december(will be posting my query when the time is right). And since it will be a gaming based rig, i was considering gtx 580 or the yet to be released 69xx. I wanted to know if the GTX 580 is actually cool enough relative to indian temperatures.

The testing and benchmarking done by various websites use ambient room temp of 20*C. While this is ok for their countries, its a different scene here. gtx 580 GPU's thermal threshold has been quoted at 97*C. Even though it is significantly lower than their microwave edition gtx 480, i am still in doubt if its suitable to indian conditions.

Now since i have never owned a dedicated desktop based gfx solution, i wanted to ask others experienced in this regard to advise me as to what is the normal temperature i should be expecting which is stable and wont kill the card in 1-2 years flat. Is gtx 580 a viable option considering the longevity of the card in indian temperatures like 30*c(A/C and non A/C conditions)?

The reason why this is plaguing me is because amd's 5870 temp readings are much lower than that of gtx 470, 480,580. Now i understand that they are different cards in terms of performance and architecture, but i dont wish to compromise on the life of the card due to over heating just for pure performance. So is waiting for the 69xx series better to see good temperature readings compared to gtx 580 or is gtx 580's temp readings good enough to go for it? I dont suppose anyone will have it in their pc's right now, but from experience, any advice on the practicality of gtx 580 would be great!

tkin

Back to school!!

^good luck to unwinder then!
anyway, doesnt the 6870 has little room for OC as it is? read on techpowerup that without voltage tweak, they got it to 975Mhz core and with max voltage tweak of 1.5(!) volts, they got it to ~1035Mhz. so it aint a good overclocker.
Yes, HD6870 is already clocked pretty high, it does not overclock good, but with very high ambient temps and poor after sales support here OCing is already not a comfortable option for us indians.

I am planning to buy a desktop this december(will be posting my query when the time is right). And since it will be a gaming based rig, i was considering gtx 580 or the yet to be released 69xx. I wanted to know if the GTX 580 is actually cool enough relative to indian temperatures.

The testing and benchmarking done by various websites use ambient room temp of 20*C. While this is ok for their countries, its a different scene here. gtx 580 GPU's thermal threshold has been quoted at 97*C. Even though it is significantly lower than their microwave edition gtx 480, i am still in doubt if its suitable to indian conditions.

Now since i have never owned a dedicated desktop based gfx solution, i wanted to ask others experienced in this regard to advise me as to what is the normal temperature i should be expecting which is stable and wont kill the card in 1-2 years flat. Is gtx 580 a viable option considering the longevity of the card in indian temperatures like 30*c(A/C and non A/C conditions)?

The reason why this is plaguing me is because amd's 5870 temp readings are much lower than that of gtx 470, 480,580. Now i understand that they are different cards in terms of performance and architecture, but i dont wish to compromise on the life of the card due to over heating just for pure performance. So is waiting for the 69xx series better to see good temperature readings compared to gtx 580 or is gtx 580's temp readings good enough to go for it? I dont suppose anyone will have it in their pc's right now, but from experience, any advice on the practicality of gtx 580 would be great!
Unless you have 2560x1600 monitor GTX580 is not necessary for you, HD5870/GTX470 or the upcoming HD6970 should be enough, post your computer specs and budget for graphics card.

Last edited:

mohiuddin

Journeyman

"6870 perform on par with 5870" - from d benchmarks at tomshardware n anandtech it doesn't seem tht way!5870 outperforms 6870!Rest all r correct tho I dunno much abt cfx scalin property!

see hardwarecanucks.com

gtx580 using vapor chamber runs cool.it is a damn good card over all(but not d chip).but,wait for 6900 4 both price drop & compare them.

gtx580 using vapor chamber runs cool.it is a damn good card over all(but not d chip).but,wait for 6900 4 both price drop & compare them.

Last edited:

clear_lot

Journeyman

^ toms and anandtech are much more reliable than hardwarecanucks.
5870 is better than 6870. BUT, they are in completely different price categories.
5870 ~ 21-22k
6870~13-14.5k

and at best (without "high" tessalation) 5870 is faster by about ~3-5 fps, which can be easily achieved by a little oc.

edit: gtx 580 is a good card, though too much expensive. (~30k)
+1 for waiting till 69xx.

tkin

Back to school!!

5870 is better than 6870. BUT, they are in completely different price categories.
5870 ~ 21-22k
6870~13-14.5k

and at best (without "high" tessalation) 5870 is faster by about ~3-5 fps, which can be easily achieved by a little oc.
Where do you see a 6870 @ 13-14.5k? The best I get is 15.8k and thats pushing it.

lost.thunder

Broken In

Unless you have 2560x1600 monitor GTX580 is not necessary for you, HD5870/GTX470 or the upcoming HD6970 should be enough, post your computer specs and budget for graphics card.

I mentioned in my post that i will be buying the rig in december. So i cant post my comp specs simply because i havent bought it, but if it helps in answering my query regarding the temps of gtx 580, i will be using it with a 24inch monitor(possibly g2420hd). I intend to build my rig around the cpu and gpu, and budget will not be a constraint. Still for a figure, 30k for gpu would suffice i believe.

I only wish to know if the temp stats of this gpu are good for indian conditions, since i cant analyse much from my own lack of practical experience in desktop gpu's.

ssb1551

Technomancer

^^Nope he got it for 15k.Quoted price ws arnd 16k n he got a discount of arnd 1k coz he knew d guy!!

mohiuddin

Journeyman

5870 ~ 21-22k
6870~13-14.5k

edit: gtx 580 is a good card, though too much expensive. (~30k)
+1 for waiting till 69xx.

thats why i said "on par" not equal.in metro2033 it is almost equal 2 5870.btw,why hardwarecanucks is not reliable as anandtech,toms hardware?i saw they give detailed description,cfx,sli scaling,d method affecing 2 gpu companies and they use overclocked i7 cpus 2 avoid bottleneck.

And,3~5fps is not noticable in gameplay experiance and it is not a great differance.

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer

^^:hyper:..its k..he is still a "lucky dawg" for bein 1 of d 1st 1s (or mayb d very 1st) in TDF to get d card!!

@ mohiuddin - on par means equal buddy!!

mohiuddin

Journeyman

^^:hyper:..its k..he is still a "lucky dawg" for bein 1 of d 1st 1s (or mayb d very 1st) in TDF to get d card!!

@ mohiuddin - on par means equal buddy!!

if u say so.but i meant almost same.it laggs in raw power but in tesselation.....which is & gonna be a important factor in future.so,it's almost same.don't take equal as algebric =.take it as almost...lol.don't mind my friend.

Last edited:

hdknitro

bringing the world down

DAMN! and here i was thinking that lucky dawg got a real deal :))
too bad. i stand corrected.

ha ha ha,
by the way the card is giving me super speed, I tried blur on my HD 32'' inch LCD. I was amazed with the card's performance

a very simple reason, the guy from whom i bought the card, didn't had it. And the other reason is that I wanted to buy a SAPPHIRE 5850 1GB toxic edition but it was unavailable too. And I heard from lot of people that sapphire has better cooling which is important for me.:))

Last edited:

clear_lot

Journeyman

^congratulations on your purchase! enjoy the card and OC the hell out of the little moth**fu**** :)):)):)):)):))

NEWSFLASH!!

NVIDIA GTX460SE RELEASED.
same 256bit interface but with reduced CUDA cores and ROPs.
MSI has released the cyclone variant of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom