Graphics Cards related queries here.

Gollum

Collector
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Me too. This is like diwali gift.
Yup either the 9600pro or XT if u find one thats is arnd 10k. Also if u don't wanna spend 2-3k extra u will be missing on the best VFM card out right now and that is the 6600GT which costs 13-13.5k. If u can somehow manage the xtra 2-3k then u will get atleast 1.5-2 times the performance of a 9600XT card with the 6600GT. Or else 9600XT is the way to go.
nostalgia. compare a 6600gt to a gtx470, lol results will be fun+

Last edited:

monkey

Padawan

^earlier it was 17k on lynx, and now 14.4k..:-o:-o

i also read on anandtech that nvidia though is doing price cuts but is not happy about that:lol::lol:

Its 14.4k+shipping at Lynx.

That price got corrected 10 days back. Last week my friend had already bought this card for 14.3k from Nehru Place. :)

ssb1551

Technomancer

Good news for buyers!!Now instead of suggestin ppl to go for 6870 in 14-15k range we cn ask 'em to go for GTX470!!:thumbs:

Silent Assassin

Right off the assembly line

Thank you Ishu and Jaskanwar for your invaluable suggestions. :) Will look into upgrading the required components to get whats needed.

nvidia card will be better as it will give u cuda which will help u in CAD. which softwares will u use?

I'm basically working on Master CAM, Catia & Ansys at the moment, and would want to try out UniGraphics and Nastran in the future if by any chance i get a copy to practice for home use (a definite change of processor would be needed there!) Would 9800GT under Nvidia (currently i'm under a budget constraint) be good enough or would GTX be the norm in these cases? How do ATI cards (for ex:- 5770), if bought, perform under these applications? And finally which card would be the best bang for the buck for both use of HD gaming and CAD/CAM softwares?

for monitor try and avoid viewsonic. bad service. get Benq as ishu mentioned. but you wont get speakers!

Presently i have a 19' View Sonic (VX1945wm with Ipod dock), which i've been using for over 5 yrs without any issues what so ever. So i thought it'd be better off to stick with the same brand while buying FullHD as well. Also i've not heard of many people in my circle buying or hearing reviews of any BenQ monitors although it may be better compared to many others in the segment. So just in case if i'd want to stay out of buying it, could you throw some light on any other models under the brands of Dell or Samsung? :smile:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

i also read on anandtech that nvidia though is doing price cuts but is not happy about that:lol::lol:

who the heck cares if Nvidia or AMDs is not happy till they keep cutting price of products.

Its 14.4k+shipping at Lynx.

That price got corrected 10 days back. Last week my friend had already bought this card for 14.3k from Nehru Place. :)

tax? i think it should be 14.4k+ tax+ carry.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thinking about Moving this thread into Hardware Q&A section as that would be more appropriate for this thread as :

we not only discuss about gfx card buying suggestions in this thread but we can discuss anything ( hardware/software issues/ reviews/architecture/features etc. ) that's related to gfxcard in this thread.

So what do you guys say ?

super64

Broken In

@Jaskanwar Singh
ati radeon hd 6850 - ~ Rs. 12,000 Sapphire HD 6850 DDR5 1GB Graphic Card ? Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Store In India
radeon hd 6870 - ~15,000 Sapphire HD 6870 DDR5 1GB Graphic Card ? Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Store In India
those are lynx links
amd/atis 6000 series sure beats the crap outta nvidia

ssb1551

Technomancer

^^Yeah but now tht GTX470 is down to almost 15k competition is gonna b stiff!!

super64

Broken In

amd/ati has one thing on its side - power consumption.
6850 consumes less power (~40w) than gtx 460.
Talking of benchmarks - 6870 doesnt even beat the 5850!
if you can burn 15k on 6870, you might as well pay 1.5k more and get the 5850.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Performance of 6870 is quite similar to gtx 470. But nvidia has physx and cuda in its sleeve. Since ati is also into 3d that part is now even in both the camps. The recent price drop of gtx470 now makes it highly recommended and it depends on personal choice of buyers to chose between it and 6870.

Check this and this as proof.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

who would want to look at the 6870 when gtx470 performs better at lower price. regarding the power consumption i agree that we will need to suggest atleast a corsair vx450w.

look at the anandtech and toms hardware reviews carefully. 6870 beats the 5850 and performs close to 470. 6850 beats the gtx460.

Last edited:

rajan1311

Padawan

go check again, your were probably half a sleep when you read the reviews:
HIS HD6870 Turbo - TPU

HIS HD6870 - TPU

HIS HD6870 - Guru3D

Gigabyte HD 6870 -Guru3D

HD6870 & HD6850 - AT

Just wait for the new GTX460SE...

It will be hard to price it though, not much gap between GTX 460 768MB edition and GTS450.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

Thank you Ishu and Jaskanwar for your invaluable suggestions. :) Will look into upgrading the required components to get whats needed.

I'm basically working on Master CAM, Catia & Ansys at the moment, and would want to try out UniGraphics and Nastran in the future if by any chance i get a copy to practice for home use (a definite change of processor would be needed there!) Would 9800GT under Nvidia (currently i'm under a budget constraint) be good enough or would GTX be the norm in these cases? How do ATI cards (for ex:- 5770), if bought, perform under these applications? And finally which card would be the best bang for the buck for both use of HD gaming and CAD/CAM softwares?

Presently i have a 19' View Sonic (VX1945wm with Ipod dock), which i've been using for over 5 yrs without any issues what so ever. So i thought it'd be better off to stick with the same brand while buying FullHD as well. Also i've not heard of many people in my circle buying or hearing reviews of any BenQ monitors although it may be better compared to many others in the segment. So just in case if i'd want to stay out of buying it, could you throw some light on any other models under the brands of Dell or Samsung? :smile:

you are welcome:)

yup 9800GT will also do. what price are you getting for it?
if you were looking at hd5770 get GTS450 priced at 7.8k while hd5770 is at 8.8k. hd5770 is better in gaming but gts450 will give you cuda for your system to perform better in the apps you mentioned.

regarding benq, its a very good brand and these monitors are used by many people on this forum and they are happy with them. sometime back one of our member topgear faced service problem with viewsonic.

Silent Assassin

Right off the assembly line

you are welcome:)

yup 9800GT will also do. what price are you getting for it?
if you were looking at hd5770 get GTS450 priced at 7.8k while hd5770 is at 8.8k. hd5770 is better in gaming but gts450 will give you cuda for your system to perform better in the apps you mentioned.

regarding benq, its a very good brand and these monitors are used by many people on this forum and they are happy with them. sometime back one of our member topgear faced service problem with viewsonic.

9800GT 1GB around 6k. But the price of GTS you'd mentioned would be qiute affordable for the performance boost it'd give against 9800.

super64

Broken In

go check again, your were probably half a sleep when you read the reviews:

sorry my bad.
6870 fits between 5850 and 5870, if this benchmark is anything to go by.

*static.techspot.com/articles-info/325/bench/Crysis_02.png
source - tomshardware forum - [Solved] Gtx 470 vs 5850 vs 6870 - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays

Top Bottom