Graphics Cards related queries here.

girish_b

Journeyman
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

^^ are you asking this to girish_b - if yes, well may be he is planning to CF 2x HD 5770 :p

Only buying one 5770.

By the way, MSI HAWK edition or asus or sapphire vapor x? Having a hard time here.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Though OP's cpu is good GTA IV requires nvidia 7900 or ATI x1900 as the minimum requirement.

Now for SF4 the minimum requirement is nVidia 6600 or ATI x1600.

BTW, I don't think these games will run on OP's rig - he have to add a gfx card to play these games anyway.

will require minimum G4* series to run these games. Street Fighter 4 may run (at 320X240 res :-D). but GTA4, no chance.

Only buying one 5770.

By the way, MSI HAWK edition or asus or sapphire vapor x? Having a hard time here.

for VapourX price, you can easily get a GTX460.

tkin

Back to school!!

Hey guys, its been a really long time since I've been active here, been hospitalized for a week, feeling really slumped, anyway I think its time I said goodbye to my 9800GTX+ and get something a bit faster.

My budget is 16k max, now, I'm eying HD5850 and GTX460, so far from reviews I've seen that:

HD5850 is about 5-10% faster than GTX460(1G @ 675MHz), the GF104 OC's better than HD5850 but the memory on the HD5850 can be OC'ed better(memory controller issue), But then again GTX460 supports PhysX, although proprietary but PhysX is used on many games now(Metro 2033, JC2, Mafia 2 and many more).

So suggest me, rumors are that southern islands(AMD 6xxx) will be a minor speed bump and new architectural changes are not coming till end of 2011, so should I wait or buy the GTX460 or the HD5850?

mukherjee, congrats for the purchase, looks damn nice, can you load up furmark(xtreme burning mode) and post the temps? And what's the warranty on that card? Any idea about availability of MSI Cyclone/ Palit Sonic Platinum model?

PS: I might end up selling the 9800GTX+ soon, its 1.5yrs old, still has 1.5yrs warranty left, running pretty damn fine, any idea about the price I can sell it for?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^^ for 16k, don't go for a single product. get a combo: GTX460 1Gb + a good CPU cooler (if you running that 8-10k proccy @ stock). this way you'll get max bang for buck :smile:

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

but don't expect a huge jump in performance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

will require minimum G4* series to run these games. Street Fighter 4 may run (at 320X240 res :-D). but GTA4, no chance.

This is something new to me .. how come you've played it at 320*240 resolution when the minimum resolution it requires is 800*600.

I know there are emulators to play games upto SF3 ( at low resolutions ) series as those are very old and not released for the PC - remember those big video game boxes - Insert a coin to get a life :p

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^^ just giving an idea at what resolution one have to try. maybe a 15" monitor will allow that resolution. both the games quite heavy.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

Hey guys, its been a really long time since I've been active here, been hospitalized for a week, feeling really slumped, anyway I think its time I said goodbye to my 9800GTX+ and get something a bit faster.

My budget is 16k max, now, I'm eying HD5850 and GTX460, so far from reviews I've seen that:

HD5850 is about 5-10% faster than GTX460(1G @ 675MHz), the GF104 OC's better than HD5850 but the memory on the HD5850 can be OC'ed better(memory controller issue), But then again GTX460 supports PhysX, although proprietary but PhysX is used on many games now(Metro 2033, JC2, Mafia 2 and many more).

So suggest me, rumors are that southern islands(AMD 6xxx) will be a minor speed bump and new architectural changes are not coming till end of 2011, so should I wait or buy the GTX460 or the HD5850?

mukherjee, congrats for the purchase, looks damn nice, can you load up furmark(xtreme burning mode) and post the temps? And what's the warranty on that card? Any idea about availability of MSI Cyclone/ Palit Sonic Platinum model?

PS: I might end up selling the 9800GTX+ soon, its 1.5yrs old, still has 1.5yrs warranty left, running pretty damn fine, any idea about the price I can sell it for?

hey there's not much performance difference between 9800 gtx+ that you have and gtx 460 or hd5850
you can wait for a few months when the amd 6XXX lineup is announced
but still,
your card isn't old enough to be replaced

but if you want anew one anyway
go for gtx460(more eyecandy less frames than 5850)
cause eyecandy matters:-D

p.s.
btw what happened to you?
why were you hospitalized?
hope you're alright now!

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

If I am not wrong, the Zotac GTX460 1GB version goes for around 13k, which is a serious bang for buck. The extra 2-4k for a HD5850 isn't justified by the 5-8% performance rise. You can easily squease 4-5% more performance out of the Zotac by over-clocking it. Plus the NVIDIA card has an advantage with it's CUDA/PhysX technologies. Sure ATi has Eyefinity but it's drivers have issues and I don't think you are aiming for a multi-monitor gaming setup.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Go for MSI Cyclone, Zotac nd Palit sucks at noise and heat control.

@Sam.Shab
One can easily get 320x240 res on 17', 19' monitors too.

Piyush

Lanaya

zotac cards have one of the best built quality
i agree with the noise status
but the temperature can be lowered down using good cooling

tkin

Back to school!!

^^ for 16k, don't go for a single product. get a combo: GTX460 1Gb + a good CPU cooler (if you running that 8-10k proccy @ stock). this way you'll get max bang for buck :smile:

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

but don't expect a huge jump in performance.
GTX460 1G should theoretically be 11k(230$), but its selling at 15k as I've heard, so that leaves me with 1k, not enough to get a descent CPU cooler(CM,2.5k), I run my E8400 @ 3.4 with the stock cooler, which does fine in every app and game I through at it, since I game at 1680x1050.

Not a huge jump, but a good jump, for example BFBC2, Metro 2033, JC2 and ofcourse Crysis runs like crap if I maxed them out @ 2x AA.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

hey there's not much performance difference between 9800 gtx+ that you have and gtx 460 or hd5850
you can wait for a few months when the amd 6XXX lineup is announced
but still,
your card isn't old enough to be replaced

but if you want anew one anyway
go for gtx460(more eyecandy less frames than 5850)
cause eyecandy matters:-D

p.s.
btw what happened to you?
why were you hospitalized?
hope you're alright now!
As I've seen from the reviews, its about 60-80% faster in DX9/10 titles, so not that fast, specially since I game @ 1680x1050.

As I've read in many forums, the AMD 6xxx(S.I) has taped out and its just a speed bump(like HD4890), no major architectural changes, the Ultra High ends may launch this year but major availability should commence on Q1-2 2011. New parts gonna come on Q4 2011(28nm fab), so the wait may be too long.

And eyecandy matters to me, a lot.

Yup, I'm alright now, got down with pancreatitis for eating a lot of fast food.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

If I am not wrong, the Zotac GTX460 1GB version goes for around 13k, which is a serious bang for buck. The extra 2-4k for a HD5850 isn't justified by the 5-8% performance rise. You can easily squease 4-5% more performance out of the Zotac by over-clocking it. Plus the NVIDIA card has an advantage with it's CUDA/PhysX technologies. Sure ATi has Eyefinity but it's drivers have issues and I don't think you are aiming for a multi-monitor gaming setup.
Yes, Zotac looks good but the fan's noisy and the card heats up a little bit, my cabby isn't very good so temp is an issue for me, specially since its crowded and I run my proccy OC'ed to 3.4 with stock cooler, so a non reference cooler is preferable, like Palit/MSI.
Also I've read in some forums that HD5xxx series suffers from some Gray screen issue, that's absolutely a big No for me, had no trouble so far with nVidia drivers. And no, I don't intend to game using a multimonitor setup, EVER.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

@Sam.Shab
One can easily get 320x240 res on 17', 19' monitors too.
Is MSI Cyclone available in India?

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

^^Dinesh @Aashirwad computers (SP Road, Bangalore) told me it will be available in a week. Price will be around 13k (may be higher).
Zotac was available ther but I was looking for MSI Cyclone only.

Further the guy @Golcha computer treats everyone like a dumbo. When i hav zeroed in to a particular config he was trying to sell what he wants. When I asked Cl7 RAM he told me to go fo CL9.

tkin

Back to school!!

^^Dinesh @Aashirwad computers (SP Road, Bangalore) told me it will be available in a week. Price will be around 13k (may be higher).
Zotac was available ther but I was looking for MSI Cyclone only.

Further the guy @Golcha computer treats everyone like a dumbo. When i hav zeroed in to a particular config he was trying to sell what he wants. When I asked Cl7 RAM he told me to go fo CL9.
What about gigabyte? The Gigabyte models with dual fans run very cool, has voltage tweak capability, also OC's very well, really cool temps.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Dual fans:
*images.tweaktown.com/content/3/3/3393_03.jpg
Heat pipes:
*images.tweaktown.com/content/3/3/3393_05.jpg
Good ventilation:
*images.tweaktown.com/content/3/3/3393_06.jpg

Also in the temps test it does well like MSI, palit on the other hand does worse.
*www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/13

And also by the looks of reviews in new egg, palit has lots of noise/temp issue, so does zotac. But MSI, gigabyte and EVGA stands out.

Last edited:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

Also I've read in some forums that HD5xxx series suffers from some Gray screen issue, that's absolutely a big No for me, had no trouble so far with nVidia drivers.
:-o:-o

does this gray screen issue still exist?
i was looking to buy an hd5770(hawk maybe)
is this a serious problem?
please elaborate the issue
will cancel if serious

Gollum

Collector

I would suggest you not to go for ati cards for the fact that they have driver issues and ati drivers are not as good as nvidia.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

Yes ATi have some minor driver problems but they aren't serious and generally the bugs are regarding Eyefinity and a few specific games.

Top Bottom