Graphics Cards related queries here.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

People, please tell me is there any big difference between DX10 and DX11? Or is it like DX9 and DX10. I'm thinkin' of goin' for a new GPU, it's been a year with HD4850 (& GF9800GTX+). Not a good move, eh? When the Phuc are NVIDIA gonna announce anythin' 'bout GT300 series? I. Need. PhysX!!

Please do not take this as me harping about the new 5xxx series and/or ATI. I am clearly stating this from a technical point of view with reference to the above and current line up of GPUs.

There is quite a bit difference when using Dx11. It offers stuff like Tessellation, multi threading, Dynamic Shader, Shader Model 5.0 to name a few.

Here is a good link to an article. If you are from a programing background you would understand the new powerful features and capabilities which are available via the enhanced API. This will take make game programing to a higher level, and greater advanced features will be shown. Game programmers will quickly adopt to this new technology, and we as end users will see more game on this codepath.

I personally feel Tessellation will 'change the way' 3D will appear on our screens. Basically as of now 3D is rendered via polygons. Shapes are drawn inside wireframes, and pieced together using multiple polygons. And this wireframe is drawn over and over really quickly to shown movement. What Tessellation offers is that: these polygons can be further subdivided automatically into smaller and more detailed shapes, and each of these shapes can be 'controlled' for color, geometry. It gives power for greater detail and image enhancement, with far far greater control. All ATI cards which are >= 4xxx series have this tessellation engine in-built. :)

To see a classic example, go to this link, and click on the wireframe buttons for the dragon and house. You will see the amount of polygon counts increasing by a massive amount to render the same image.

You could download the Unigine demo from the same link above, and run it. If you do not have Windows 7 and a GPU > HD4xxx, then run the demo in Dx9, and press F9 to see the wireframes. Its phenomenal.

Regarding the change from a HD4850 as of now. Depends, if you want to see all of the above, and have the cash... go for it. :) Simple as that. I doubt prices are really going to get that low. nVidia has not even announced its paper release. It is confirmed that their line is facing issues at TSMC. We could argue that getting a 5xxx card, we miss out on PhysX. But a lot of it can be (not all) processed by the CPU. I ran Scorpion Disfigured and saw PhysX affects. Not the best, but they were there. But imagine with a Tessellation capable card (and of course it will be powerful too), what the gaming experience will be.

Choose and be a winner...else wait and watch. (Like most of us are).
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
@Tkin: Excellent write up.....!

I guess both Tkin and I were writing our essays at the same time, I did not even see his, doubt he saw mine. But now both are there.

:)

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!

Please do not take this as me harping about the new 5xxx series and/or ATI. I am clearly stating this from a technical point of view with reference to the above and current line up of GPUs.

There is quite a bit difference when using Dx11. It offers stuff like Tessellation, multi threading, Dynamic Shader, Shader Model 5.0 to name a few.

Here is a good link to an article. If you are from a programing background you would understand the new powerful features and capabilities which are available via the enhanced API. This will take make game programing to a higher level, and greater advanced features will be shown. Game programmers will quickly adopt to this new technology, and we as end users will see more game on this codepath.

I personally feel Tessellation will 'change the way' 3D will appear on our screens. Basically as of now 3D is rendered via polygons. Shapes are drawn inside wireframes, and pieced together using multiple polygons. And this wireframe is drawn over and over really quickly to shown movement. What Tessellation offers is that: these polygons can be further subdivided automatically into smaller and more detailed shapes, and each of these shapes can be 'controlled' for color, geometry. It gives power for greater detail and image enhancement, with far far greater control. All ATI cards which are >= 4xxx series have this tessellation engine in-built. :)

To see a classic example, go to this link, and click on the wireframe buttons for the dragon and house. You will see the amount of polygon counts increasing by a massive amount to render the same image.

You could download the Unigine demo from the same link above, and run it. If you do not have Windows 7 and a GPU > HD4xxx, then run the demo in Dx9, and press F9 to see the wireframes. Its phenomenal.

Regarding the change from a HD4850 as of now. Depends, if you want to see all of the above, and have the cash... go for it. :) Simple as that. I doubt prices are really going to get that low. nVidia has not even announced its paper release. It is confirmed that their line is facing issues at TSMC. We could argue that getting a 5xxx card, we miss out on PhysX. But a lot of it can be (not all) processed by the CPU. I ran Scorpion Disfigured and saw PhysX affects. Not the best, but they were there. But imagine with a Tessellation capable card (and of course it will be powerful too), what the gaming experience will be.

Choose and be a winner...else wait and watch. (Like most of us are).
Posted again:
@Tkin:

I guess both Tkin and I were writing our essays at the same time, I did not even see his, doubt he saw mine. But now both are there.

:)
Yup:p; and just to prove my point here's another rumor, and I can bet its a lie too. *www.driverheaven.net/news.php?newsid=296

Hagrid

Right off the assembly line
Re: Three Monitor Setup - Help

Thanks guys... But HD5750s and 5770s, are they available here in India? I just went through 2 reviews for HD5770. They are said to be loud. And for the 3rd monitor, you need to use the DisplayPort connector :confused:

Problem is that we are shooting in sync sound. So I need a really quiet solution. And the budget isn't unlimited, anything around 5k for the card is ok. I can maybe stretch it a little bit.

The bios for Asus M2N68-AM lists 2 options for Primary Graphics Adapter:

IGP -> PCI -> PCIE
PCIE -> PCI -> IGP

Does that mean if I put another PCIE graphics card with 2 outputs, the onboard GPU won't be disabled?

Also, if I use a PCIE card with VGA + DVI outputs, will it run 2 different displays?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Thanks guys... But HD5750s and 5770s, are they available here in India? I just went through 2 reviews for HD5770. They are said to be loud. And for the 3rd monitor, you need to use the DisplayPort connector :confused:

Problem is that we are shooting in sync sound. So I need a really quiet solution. And the budget isn't unlimited, anything around 5k for the card is ok. I can maybe stretch it a little bit.

The bios for Asus M2N68-AM lists 2 options for Primary Graphics Adapter:

IGP -> PCI -> PCIE
PCIE -> PCI -> IGP

Does that mean if I put another PCIE graphics card with 2 outputs, the onboard GPU won't be disabled?

Also, if I use a PCIE card with VGA + DVI outputs, will it run 2 different displays?

As a rule, when you mount a discrete VGA adapter card the integrated video solution has to be / or is automatically : TURNED OFF.

You can buy the 5xxx series card which have been listed above. The HD5770 has three output connectors which can run together: DVI x 2x + HDMI x 1x.

A 450W PSU should suffice. This card is compatible with your mATX board. I have not heard stuff about these cards being too loud. You can lower the fan sound via CCC, or third party tools easily.

Hagrid

Unfortunately, for 5700s and 5800s, one monitor has to be connected to DisplayPort. Pl. check the links below.

Code:
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/24204-xfx-radeon-hd-5770-1gb-gddr5-review-5.html
Code:
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/2404aba41c635d0d.jpg
I have read about few MBs which support a secondary GPU without disabling the onboard one. Can't find anything related to M2N68-AM Plus.

Also that MB has PCIE x16 port, not the PCIE 2.0 one. So I should be looking for older graphics cards, right?

More suggestions please :oops:

tkin

Back to school!!

Does anyone know what this is, I doubt its Fermi, but what then??
*www.evga.com/blackfriday/

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Unfortunately, for 5700s and 5800s, one monitor has to be connected to DisplayPort. Pl. check the links below.

Code:
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/24204-xfx-radeon-hd-5770-1gb-gddr5-review-5.html
Code:
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/2404aba41c635d0d.jpg
I have read about few MBs which support a secondary GPU without disabling the onboard one. Can't find anything related to M2N68-AM Plus.

Also that MB has PCIE x16 port, not the PCIE 2.0 one. So I should be looking for older graphics cards, right?

More suggestions please :oops:

Yes a DP is needed for the 3rd monitor. Your PCI x16 is good to go for the card.

This link explains a bit about dual display. Give it a detailed read.
*www.geeks.com/techtips/2005/techtips-AUG18-05.htm

Also, the Matrox line of cards, offer multiple display. You can power upto 8x monitors.

Give this a look. Not sure of prices.
*www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/rgu/extio/extiof1400/

tkin

Back to school!!

^^
Yes a DP is needed for the 3rd monitor. Your PCI x16 is good to go for the card.

This link explains a bit about dual display. Give it a detailed read.
*www.geeks.com/techtips/2005/techtips-AUG18-05.htm

Also, the Matrox line of cards, offer multiple display. You can power upto 8x monitors.

Give this a look. Not sure of prices.
*www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/rgu/extio/extiof1400/
Not sure but I think I heard somewhere that Matrox GPUs are professional and cost a lot.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Does anyone know what this is, I doubt its Fermi, but what then??
*www.evga.com/blackfriday/

Seems..so...! :)

Book marked it. Black Friday is the day, when all retail outlets sell stuff damn cheap in the US.

Lets see...!

tkin

Back to school!!

Seems..so...! :)

Book marked it. Black Friday is the day, when all retail outlets sell stuff damn cheap in the US.

Lets see...!
Really? I didn't knew that, how come we don't have someday like that?? What's our government doing??

Hagrid

@asigh, thanks for the link, mate. I went through it (similar to ones I had already read, but this one is more thorough) and it says if the MB supports it, you can easily add another PCIE card and use it along with the onboard GPU. Also it says you could easily add a PCI card to the setup if the onboard graphics gets disabled.

@tkin, as you said, the Matrox GPUs (and their TripleHead2Go) are really costly and hard to source. It is way out of my league.

One more doubt. Are the PCI graphics cards still available anywhere? I could have got it from Newegg last month, but not now. I can only plan with cards available here in India.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^
Actually the OPs friend, could have been also referring to the FireGL and Quadro cards, which are utilized by animators and GD people.

There seems to be some terminology mismatch for the OP, which D.Bond and T.Gear have clarified.

yes. his friend was referring to workstation graphics for Graphics card and gaming mainstream graphics for display card :)

Thanks for pointing out.

Thanks guys :p

There is no way India wud develop

If graphics cards are used by grafix designers means - Computers shuld be used be used by computer programmers !:razz:

Posted again:
DESi

7000 Posts Gr8 !!!

Yup You are right buddy :p

@ Desi - congrats for 7000 posts and still increasing :p

hello evry1,

Is the Radeon HD 4650 more powerful than 9600Gt whts the price of both in mumbai?

thanx
Posted again:
hello evry1,

Is the Radeon HD 4650 more powerful than 9600Gt whts the price of both in mumbai?

thanx

^No, 4650 is way slower than 9600GT.

4670 1GB (4.5k) is a little slower than 9600GT 512MB (4.7k). Get the 4670 is you have a cheap PSU and if you have a good PSU then get the 9600GT.

@ Rockstar09 - If you hold your horses then you should get GT240 instead. It's more powerful than HD4670 and does not need a external pci-e power plug.

Or get the card that Krow has suggested :p

about 2200/-

If your system has only pci slot then there is card ZOtac 3200A pci card which is selling @ 2.9K

If your mobo has pci-e slot then get Palit 9500GT 512MB DDR2 super which should cost you Rs. 2.7K.
Posted again:
I think they better start living up to their slogan. 5970 for 50 bucks anyone?

Lolz :p then you should add in a Corsair TX650W @ Rs. 50 and a intel core i7 along with evga x58 mobo @ Rs. 100 :p

Last edited:

CA50

Cyborg Agent

my gpu is nvidia geforce 7100, in MSI MS-7399 with 1gb ram of which i have shared 128 mb. The max amount of ram that can be shared is 256mb. But when i check my board info with 3rd party software, it says that my video memory is 512 mb. How`s that, plz heelp

here is the GPU info collected by AIDA32
*i49.tinypic.com/21bmys2.jpg

tkin

Back to school!!

my gpu is nvidia geforce 7100, in MSI MS-7399 with 1gb ram of which i have shared 128 mb. The max amount of ram that can be shared is 256mb. But when i check my board info with 3rd party software, it says that my video memory is 512 mb. How`s that, plz heelp

here is the GPU info collected by AIDA32
*i49.tinypic.com/21bmys2.jpg
Update drivers, that one is way too old.

Scratch that, driver's new, try using GPU-Z.

CA50

Cyborg Agent

got the latest drivers from digit dvd, but still the prob persist
Posted again:
get more info on *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122621
Posted again:
Posted again:

Last edited:

CA50

Cyborg Agent

hi fnds this is the screenshot from GPU cap viewer. here also the gpu memory is said to be 512mb whereas i have shared 128mb, whats the matter???
*i47.tinypic.com/2na1uf7.jpg
Posted again:
here is the screenshot from NVIDIA control panal under system information
*i49.tinypic.com/2urmu6v.jpg

Last edited:

CA50

Cyborg Agent

Update drivers, that one is way too old.

Scratch that, driver's new, try using GPU-Z.

this is the result of GPU-Z, it is showing 128mb but what about the other softwares

*i49.tinypic.com/iqc76d.jpg

Top Bottom