Graphics Cards related queries here.

wwkk

Right off the assembly line
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Hi Guys,

One of my friend suggested me to buy display card instead of graphic card, may i know the difference of both, if there any...He says graphic card are used by graphic designers and animators. can you please clarify this

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

Hi Guys,

One of my friend suggested me to buy display card instead of graphic card, may i know the difference of both, if there any...He says graphic card are used by graphic designers and animators. can you please clarify this

your friend reply can be put in "dumbest things heard about computers" thread.

Display card, video card, graphics card, GPU, video accelerator. All these terms refer to same device.

To get a graphics card, you need to make sure that it is compatible with your motherboard and PSU.

what's your budget and what is the model number of your SMPS/PSU and what is the model number of your motherboard?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ Yup you are right.

BTW, I think his friend was referring a workstation card as a graphic card and the display card as the gaming card:p

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
Actually the OPs friend, could have been also referring to the FireGL and Quadro cards, which are utilized by animators and GD people.

There seems to be some terminology mismatch for the OP, which D.Bond and T.Gear have clarified.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^ Yup you are right.

BTW, I think his friend was referring a workstation card as a graphic card and the display card as the gaming card:p

yes. his friend was referring to workstation graphics for Graphics card and gaming mainstream graphics for display card :)

Thanks for pointing out.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

Hi Guys,

There is no way India wud develop

If graphics cards are used by grafix designers means - Computers shuld be used be used by computer programmers !:razz:

Guyz !

Same thing i heard when i was standing in a computer shop ,, near one guy speaking with other one
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
DESi

7000 Posts Gr8 !!!

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman

Congrats desii, still going strong.

@ wwkk Tell us what you need and what you have. We'll help you. :)

Rockstar09

Broken In

hello evry1,

Is the Radeon HD 4650 more powerful than 9600Gt whts the price of both in mumbai?

thanx
Posted again:
hello evry1,

Is the Radeon HD 4650 more powerful than 9600Gt whts the price of both in mumbai?

thanx

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman

^No, 4650 is way slower than 9600GT.

4670 1GB (4.5k) is a little slower than 9600GT 512MB (4.7k). Get the 4670 is you have a cheap PSU and if you have a good PSU then get the 9600GT.

Last edited:

User Name

In the zone

I want to buy entry level GPU which one should i go for ?
Posted again:
I am using a bit old pc which uses DDR ram. It has one PCI slot.
Posted again:
will there be any prob. with ram and GPU. ?

my mobo has PCI Express x16 slot

:sad::sad::sad:

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz

2.2k wont get you anything. Minimum is 9400GT which is a crap card at 2.5k. Better is save the money, go for an upgrade later.

Hagrid

Right off the assembly line
Three Monitor Setup - Help

Hi everyone. Just registered here. Hope someone could help me out with a multi monitor setup.

For a film shoot, I need to setup a three monitor display system. Let me list what I have presently.

1. AMD Athlon 7750 Dual Core 2700Mhz, Asus M2N68-AM Plus MB, 2GB Ram, Two WD 320GB HDDs, etc., with a Samsung 2033 monitor.

2. An older AMD Sempron 2800MHz, Asus K8V-VM Ultra MB, 1GB RAM, One WD 160GB HDD, etc., with a Samsung 794MG CRT.

Both MBs have 1 free PCI Express x16 slot and onboard graphics.

I am planning to buy two more Samsung 2033s and combine them together.

I have the following basic requirements for the setup. The displays should be independent of each other. It should be able to display videos on one monitor, and OS desktops on the other two, including web browsers on one, sometimes. There won't be any games or other graphics intensive work going on.

Can I buy a PCI Exp card with 2 video outs (either 1 VGA + DVI or 2 DVIs) and use my onboard card for the third monitor? Or should I go in for a new system?

Also, would a 500W Power supply be enough, or shall I go in for something bigger?

My h/w friend suggested using an xfx 9400GT card. But from their website, it seems it only comes with PCI Exp 2.0.

Any help regarding graphics cards, MBs, and power supplies will be greatly appreciated.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

my suggestion for you is to get ATI's dx11 card that support eyefinity. a 9400GT may not be able to drive three displays and I don't think you can use the onboard GPU when PCIe GPU is active.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!

People, please tell me is there any big difference between DX10 and DX11? Or is it like DX9 and DX10. I'm thinkin' of goin' for a new GPU, it's been a year with HD4850 (& GF9800GTX+). Not a good move, eh? When the Phuc are NVIDIA gonna announce anythin' 'bout GT300 series? I. Need. PhysX!!

tkin

Back to school!!

People, please tell me is there any big difference between DX10 and DX11? Or is it like DX9 and DX10. I'm thinkin' of goin' for a new GPU, it's been a year with HD4850 (& GF9800GTX+). Not a good move, eh? When the Phuc are NVIDIA gonna announce anythin' 'bout GT300 series? I. Need. PhysX!!
DX11 vs DX10: *www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3679&p=5

If you ask me not that much visually but in terms of FPS, they all talking about how tesselation improves edges, check out crysis, almost all its textures look better and sharper than Stalker 3 with tesselation applied, but that's where the FPS drop happens in Crysis. And other features not so good looking either, Just play Crysis Warhead: From Hell's heart level and Stalker looks like last century graphics.

nVidia is dying, that's the honest truth, the only thing that keeps them from total wipe-out is the blasted fab of TSMC(and workstation cards, ion, tesla and tegra ett etc) , rumors say they have just taped out A2 silicon of GT300, so given the facts its still 3-5 weeks more for a soft(paper) launch followed by a hard launch sometimes feb/march 2010, mass availability sometimes in april 2010, by that time 58xx will drop more and hopefully the shortage will be fixed, HD4850 and 9800GTX+ is still Ok at resolution of upto 1680x1050, handles all games flawlessly(except Crysis maxed out, but it can be played upto 1440x900).

I do admit PhysX looks nice but the performance hit is way too much.

Top Bottom