Graphics Cards related queries here.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Agent 001 is a code name for a problem solver in Digit Magazine. :razz:

@carl jhonson: Mention the PSU brand and ratings also.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!

Is there any difference between DX10 and DX10.1? BTW, what the hell's this!?

*i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp302/nvidiageek/asasas.jpg

I'm usin' my cousin's GF9800GTX+ which's 512MB, but it's showin' 1.9GB! I'm the happiest man! :D

Anybody seein' this? :( Why's that?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ It is a common error, which happens because of the nVidia / ATI drivers.

Use GPU-Z to 'read' GPU details.

emperor_ankit

Broken In

I'm recieving error code 43 from device manager about my 8800gt, msn says h/w issue, anybody had this before? is my g-card dead?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

1. Uninstall the Forceware and install the latest ones.
2. Replug all GPU connectors -- press them in firm.
3. Reseat the GPU -- blow a couple of times hard on the PCI.Ex16 slot.

By the way you running SLI..? What are your GPU(s) temperatures..?

If yes..try the above with one card. And/or alternate. Do the above in order of precedence and check status, then move to the next. Post back.

Best of luck.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

thanks man for your replies, when i share 128mb through BIOS, the Ram properties shown in POST screen and in windows is 896mb. So as you can see 512mb is not shared, only 128mb is share, but why the GPU memory is said to be 512mb:-?:-?

As I told you it's because of Turbo Cache.

Turbo cache takes shares of system memory dynamically so if you share 128MB it's show up as 512 MB

That's why a 256MB discrete graphics card can show as a 512MB gfx card in windows DX diag tool :p

The revolutionary TurboCache technology utilizes the additional bandwidth of the PCI Express graphics bus to reach higher levels of graphics performance than traditional video memory solutions, delivering the performance and features you expect from NVIDIA graphics hardware. By allowing the graphics processing unit (GPU) to share the capacity and bandwidth of dedicated video memory and dynamically available system memory, TurboCache turbocharges performance and provides larger total graphics memory.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

* GeForce 6200 TC
* GeForce 6200 SE
* GeForce 7100 GS
* GeForce 7200 GS
* GeForce 7300 LE
* GeForce 7300 GS
* GeForce Go 7400
* GeForce 7500LE
* GeForce 8400 GS
* GeForce 8500 GT
* GeForce 9500M GS
* XFX GeForce 9500 GT
* Certain models of the GeForce 8600M GT

These ones use Turbocache. ATI offers this via Hyper Memory. Not sure how revolutionary this would be, cause teh graphics unit is 'stealing' ram from the system.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

I am planning 2 buy HD 5750 which is available @10k....i've made my decision by dropping the plan of HD4870 I am ryt in buying this DX11 card....I hope i will get better performance than 4870 atleast :mrgreen:

Krow

Crowman

^Nope. 5770 will give somewhat equal performance compared to GTX260/4870. 5750 is a waste of money.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz

I am planning 2 buy HD 5750 which is available @10k....i've made my decision by dropping the plan of HD4870 I am ryt in buying this DX11 card....I hope i will get better performance than 4870 atleast :mrgreen:
The card is somewhere in between HD4850 and HD4870 on the ATI side and GTX260 and GTS250 on the nVidia side, in performance. It wont give you any significant boost in performance from HD4870. But since its a DX11 card, definitely makes sense over HD4870.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Not to differ your decision, but to show you the 'clear light of day', and you can choose.

Below is the design of the HD5750 and HD4870:

*www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1255370233EukOTJwLkM_1_8.gif

Though the 5750 has more transistors, the 4870 has a quicker engine clock, more stream processors, and more TUs, but same ROPs. Now the memory clock of the 5750 is is much quicker than the 4870, but the 4870 has a wider memory bus. Do not know what made ATI use such a narrow (128BIT) memory bus for 5750. The cons of the 4870 would be more power consumption and more heat with reference to the 5750 and no DX11 support. But when it comes to brute 3D processing power, the 4870 is a workhorse. Though if you want the latest tech at good price 5750 is the way to go.

You will need to decide between latest technology vs processing power. When it come to GPU, I personally feel processing power is more critical to the decision making process.

Both are priced at a similiar segment:
Powercolor HD4870 512MB GDDR5 @ 8815
Sapphire HD5750 1GB GDDR-5 @ 8771

*Courtesy Lynx India (all prices pre-sales)

The 4870 is a beast of a card. It will still rip any game you throw at it, even at high resolutions. It was the flagship card for ATI from mid 2008 till the release of the 5xxx series, where as the HD5750 is the lowest offering by ATI. 5870>5850>5770>5750. Two HD4870s in XFire are a beauty, believe me.

You can read some head - to - head reviews here and here.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

@asigh: I was giving importance 2 DX11 like we compare DX10 with DX9 likewise....
I thoght latest DX11 games luks gud on HD5750 if they luk same on both these cards then whats the point of buying 5750 instead of 4870 ???

One more thing: from the above table if we compare 5770 with 4870 then which gud...?
this technical jargon is confusing me....:?

can u give the importance we have to give while buying a gud GCard...
like : Process
Transistors
Engine Clock
Stream
Texture Units
ROPs
Memory Clock
Memory Bandwidth

just the order of priority we need :oops:

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ Yes true, the 5xxx series give your DX11 and tessellation. But not many games have that as of now. Even with DX10 games looks nice.

I never mentioned that the image quality will be the same on both cards -- provided you are running a game written for the DX11 codepath. There are not that many games available currently for DX11. By the time DX11 become mainstream -- the 5xxx will be old. :)

Sure, go ahead with the HD5750, but do remember it does not have 'that' much processing power. For the same amount you get a board with more guns (Hd4870).

Regarding your query:

I would personally give priority in the following manner:

1. ROPs, TMU, TUs. (they are the basic processing units, more the merrier)
2. Engine Clock. (how fast the processing is going to happen. How many cycles per second)
3. Memory Bandwith (this composes of Mem. Type and Mem. Clock -- how much data can be loaded and quickly available to the engine). This is what feeds the engine.

Transistor count is the overall broad picture. The more transistors on the core -- the more of (1) you will have.

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

@KaranTh85 , get the 4870. the 5750 is attractive only @ 7k. True , it has dx11 but there are not many games supporting it. And its always been that cool new graphics brought out by newer version of directX takes a performance penalty. If it cant perform well enough in dx10 , then it sure as hell wont fare well in dx11. The 5750 has got tessellation , but at what speed can it render with dx11 uber cool features ON ? There's no point in reducing resolution / other eyecandy to enable dx11 only features. So , the 4870 remains better @ 9k.

Krow

Crowman

If OP has budget of 10k, then he can get Palit GTX260 SONIC @ 10.5k, which is better than 4870 1GB.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ If that is what it says, then it must be true. The GT would not offer the functions cause of its design. That does not make it a crappy card. Just that you will not get Anti-Aliasing, and will see jagged edges. This card is more suited for HTPC -- the purpose is different.

Its like saying the F1 cars are for racing, and the Rolls Royce are for leisure. Is the Rolls-Royce a crappy car...?

AND PLEASE:
Take it easy with your multiple punctuations, those "?" and "/" and "!". Are you a 8 year old kid who has been given the keyboard. It makes us feel, that you are pissing all over this forum. What you trying to prove. Please be mature and complacent when posting here. Do not expect support/replies with stuff like this. Thanks.

my apologies Asigh:blush: wouldn't happen again :sealed:
I just wanted to know which card would be better for gaming purpose to play new games like modern warfare 2, DMC4, GTA4.. at decent/good settings HD4670 1GB or GT240 1GB GDDR5. Im a total :noob: sorry.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^..no issues. You understood. We all are 'noobs' here in some manner or another. That is why we frequent this forum..!

I think the HD4670 would do better for you. Am sure others will give their views too. My vote is HD4670.

Top Bottom