Graphic card Dilemma for 25K Budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Hey Guys,

I had used GTX 560 ti sometime ago and it was really a good card but now is the time for upgrade. I've been waiting for some time to buy a graphic card within 25k range. I've been following some forum threads from past 1-2 months where new AMD Drivers are said to be matured and there's considerable gain of performance in all games whereas nvidia drivers doesn't have that much advantage.

I've shortlisted Sapphire HD 7950 OC ( 25.5k from flipkart ) and MSI NGTX 660 Ti TFIV ( 23K from ebay global )

The gaming performance difference between GTX 660 ti and HD 7950 is remarkable enough to make me lean towards GTX 660 ti. But are the 384-bit memory bus, 3GB DDR5 RAM are of any importance for future games ? I don't care for computing power as i won't do folding@home nor any app will be utilized in my case. This new card will stay with me for at least 5-6 years before next upgrade. So, i want your opinions and if someone says go for HD 7950 then why should i go for HD 7950 with reasons pls ? If you've experienced performance improvement results, pls post some details.

Since, i'll be shelling out lot of money, i want to be extra careful with it. I game only at 1080p and have no intentions to upgrade to higher res anytime. My Rig is mentioned in my signature.

Awaiting your replies.

Thanks,
Ashis

smashingdude

~~Dragon Ball~~
AnandTech - Bench - GPU12
Go ahead with either one, you couldn't go wrong with any of them.
Note that the bench used the 7950 with factory settings (read no OC), so your OC version might score some extra points there.
Personally, I'd have gone for 7950. (Not a fanboy, but I seem to like AMD more than Nvidia)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you going to get any warranty on that 660Ti if you purchase from Ebay Global? If not, then 7950 OC is the clear choice at 25k.

And for 5-6 years, its always better to have something extra even if you don't need them atm. ;)

panwala95

In the zone
i would go for the hd 7950
but if you can manage it a pair of hd 6870's @ 24k will perform better than both cards

OP
ashis_lakra

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Yes, I won't get warranty from ebay global. But, the prices of HD 7950 haven't slashed much to justify its price tag against performance.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
At 25k that particular model is really good. No point getting a card without warranty after spending so much.

Take more VRAM, more memory bandwidth, better AA performance, better compute performance as added bonuses. ;)

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
I'm using Asus HD7950 DirectCUII for last 2 weeks now. Absolutely fantastic card. Got it for 25.5k. Over clocks like there is no 2moro. Don't get OC version. Buy normal version with good cooler like DirectCUII or IceQ, you can manually OC these 7950s without even touching voltages to really gr8 speeds. And to play all the current available games you really don't need to OC at all.

EDIT

Just read the first post fully.... go for that Sapphire 7950 OC edition. 25k is sweet deal right now for any 7950 based cards.

nginx

In the zone
Get the 7950 eyes closed. Try to get it from local dealer to avoid complications with warranty and aftersale service.

havoknation

Journeyman
Yes buying from local dealers is always preferable rather then flipkarting.. I have two three friends in Pune who RMAd their stuff purchased from flipkart but they paid shipping charges which costs like 300-400 Rs for a single GPU. :(

OP
ashis_lakra

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Yes buying from local dealers is always preferable rather then flipkarting.. I have two three friends in Pune who RMAd their stuff purchased from flipkart but they paid shipping charges which costs like 300-400 Rs for a single GPU. :(

Actually, the high end card in local shops is 9600GT / 9800GT in my place. havoknation when will your website be ready ? Don't forget to install live chat softwares like Zopim, so we can directly contact you for order / current prices.

Looks like i'll end up with HD 7950 as higher memory and good compute performance will be needed in future games like Dirt Showdown.

@mandarpalshikar , Could you post some fps of your games with ultra settings and 1080p ? Thanks, It'll be great relief.

havoknation

Journeyman
Actually, the high end card in local shops is 9600GT / 9800GT in my place. havoknation when will your website be ready ? Don't forget to install live chat softwares like Zopim, so we can directly contact you for order / current prices.

Looks like i'll end up with HD 7950 as higher memory and good compute performance will be needed in future games like Dirt Showdown.

@mandarpalshikar , Could you post some fps of your games with ultra settings and 1080p ? Thanks, It'll be great relief.

My website ETA would be 10th September. Dont wry, I am always available @ gtalk

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Try to get GTX670 IMO.
Otherwise a custom PCB HD7950 (OCed or non-OCed) version is a good option.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

they must have XFX gpus imported by Akshay Enterprise ;-) - other than this I've never heard you need to pay the shipping charge for RMA if the particular brand/product has a service in your local area.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@ashis_lakra

GALAXY GTX 660 Ti GC OC vs. OC GTX 670 & HD 7950
In this review both gtx660ti and gtx670 are clocked around 100MHz higher than hd7950 but still hd7950 comes out on top technically.They should have tested more games though.

Sapphire HD 7950 OC Edition is a very well overclockable card according to reviews by overclock3D.net and legitreviews.com.
According to many reviews gtx660ti fares nearly as good as the hd7950 but most of the comparison takes place with a stock hd7950(800MHz).
Even with new bios patched to the reference hd7950 will take the lead.
And you are right about the fact about performance improvement with newer drivers.
Between a stock hd7870 and a stock gtx660ti the latter is the card to get.
At 25k you are getting a custom hd7950 which overclocks quite well.Take it.I don't think you would regret.

OP
ashis_lakra

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
670 will be in the range of 28k, otherwise the best option atm.

Thank you, any website where i can get GTX 670 @ 28k ? I've sent queries to smc, prime, mdcomputers a week ago, but no reply from them yet.

@ashis_lakra

GALAXY GTX 660 Ti GC OC vs. OC GTX 670 & HD 7950
In this review both gtx660ti and gtx670 are clocked around 100MHz higher than hd7950 but still hd7950 comes out on top technically.They should have tested more games though.

Sapphire HD 7950 OC Edition is a very well overclockable card according to reviews by overclock3D.net and legitreviews.com.
According to many reviews gtx660ti fares nearly as good as the hd7950 but most of the comparison takes place with a stock hd7950(800MHz).
Even with new bios patched to the reference hd7950 will take the lead.
And you are right about the fact about performance improvement with newer drivers.
Between a stock hd7870 and a stock gtx660ti the latter is the card to get.
At 25k you are getting a custom hd7950 which overclocks quite well.Take it.I don't think you would regret.

Thanks vkl for your suggestion. However, i'm waiting for personal reviews of HD 7950 owners and how does it fare well against GTX 660 ti .

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
^^ +1

GTX660Ti is competitor for 7870 in real world scenario not 7950. All those reviews favouring GTX660Ti ahead of 7950 are marketing tactics by Nvidia. All the games used by them for reviewing are the ones which favour nvidia architecture. To know the thruth look at the benchmarks on say Sleeping Dogs... HD7950 performs way better than GTX670.
As "Skud" said earlier in this thread.... "Take more VRAM, more memory bandwidth, better AA performance, better compute performance as added bonuses."

BTW... take a look at how well HD7950 overclocks... link in my signature.

Call smc, prime, mdcomputers ... they are very bad at responding to mails. :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you, any website where i can get GTX 670 @ 28k ? I've sent queries to smc, prime, mdcomputers a week ago, but no reply from them yet.

Thanks vkl for your suggestion. However, i'm waiting for personal reviews of HD 7950 owners and how does it fare well against GTX 660 ti .

Check this:-

MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Graphic Card

Still, that Sapphire is a better deal at 25k. ;)

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
^^ Update - That Sapphire HD7950 OC has been pulled off the list by flipkart..... now they are selling stock Sapphire HD7950 for 24.5K :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom