GPU NEWS Channel

vkl

Cyborg Agent
AMD Radeon's Catalyst beta drivers with fixes for frame latency included in their prototype drivers and more could arrive in June-July.
*twitter.com/AMDRadeon/status/329642500451078144

*i.imgur.com/a0oN5CQ.png?1

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nvidia: GeForce GTX Titan Outsold Dual-Chip GeForce GTX 690.

Its a proof that single gpu cards are still preferred over multigpu, even though there is higher performance in the latter. Nvidia didn't expect titan to be this successful.

BombayBoy

Journeyman
was at PrimeABGB earlier today and the news is Radeon 88xx series is coming, they are instructed to sell all the 7xxx series (this part i didn't hear clearly)
also, Haswell coming June 10 :)

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
was at PrimeABGB earlier today and the news is Radeon 88xx series is coming, they are instructed to sell all the 7xxx series (this part i didn't hear clearly)
also, Haswell coming June 10 :)

Not possible as 8xxx series is just for the OEMs and AMD is not releasing the next gen until next year.

BombayBoy

Journeyman
Not possible as 8xxx series is just for the OEMs and AMD is not releasing the next gen until next year.

thats why i said (this part i didn't hear clearly) but it was the owner who instructed the staff
but i'm sure he said the 8xxx series

lets see, if it comes, good for us.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
780 performs brilliantly btw. Pawns the 7970 ghz edition.

HARDOCP - GeForce GTX 780 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Video Card Review

This card overclocks like hell. A whopping 22% performance gain after 200 mhz overclock. It not only beats titan at these speeds but also makes a good enough gap, all at the $650 price tag. Again the build quality of the card is worth mentioning.

It also consumes 45w less power than 7970 ghz edition.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
^ who said price is $650 . According to Indian government all computer products are luxury products. So after adding sales tax, luxury tax & .... tax , ghotala tax price is $950.

On default clock it is only 10% slower than titan. I would say it's an epic product & a must have for people who thinking of gaming on a 1440p monitor.
With gpu boost 2.0 it's like overcloking made easy & if you put a water block on it then :hyper:

Last edited:

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Still 7970 is a better alternative as its cheaper but if you are going multi-GPU then 780 all the way..

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Still 7970 is a better alternative as its cheaper but if you are going multi-GPU then 780 all the way..

If one can afford a 780, then no point considering the 7970 at a cheaper price point, especially at 2560x1600 resolution. It offers highest playable settings, which a 7970 ghz fails to achieve and so does a 680. Its a good 25% faster than a 7970 at average and that's a big gap. Its almost 90% Gtx titan's performance and 60% the price. Its a good deal in the us market, but overpriced in india like usual. A 35 -40k price tag should have been acceptable. In sli mode, it simply destroys everything except the titan duo.

A 770 is up next. If that can offer a performance of 5-10% over 7970 ghz at that too at the rumored price of $399, then its real trouble for ghz.

Gtx titan sales exceed nvidia's expectations

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
If one can afford a 780, then no point considering the 7970 at a cheaper price point, especially at 2560x1600 resolution. It offers highest playable settings, which a 7970 ghz fails to achieve and so does a 680. Its a good 25% faster than a 7970 at average and that's a big gap. Its almost 90% Gtx titan's performance and 60% the price. Its a good deal in the us market, but overpriced in india like usual. A 35 -40k price tag should have been acceptable. In sli mode, it simply destroys everything except the titan duo.

nVidia doesnt bundle games with cards now does it like AMD? :p

But we’d be remiss if we didn’t point out the more value-oriented offering able to satisfy a majority of enthusiasts: Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition at $450. If you average the performance of our eight benchmarks and then calculate what you pay for every frame per second, AMD’s single-GPU flagship runs $8.38/FPS. The GeForce GTX 780 lands at $10.73/FPS. The Tahiti-based board also maintains a massive advantage in compute-oriented workloads. And it still includes Tomb Raider, BioShock, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and Crysis 3. That’s a killer bundle. When performance per dollar is your only consideration in a high-end graphics card, AMD comes away looking pretty good.

GeForce GTX 780: Another GK110-Based Card For Wealthy Gamers : Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Review: Titan

Also 7970 still beats 780 in compute performance :mrgreen:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
nVidia doesnt bundle games with cards now does it like AMD? :p

GeForce GTX 780: Another GK110-Based Card For Wealthy Gamers : Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Review: Titan

Also 7970 still beats 780 in compute performance :mrgreen:

You need to read that better buddy. Nvidia kinda does not care that much about open-cl and thus fares bad. Cuda is much more mature than open-cl at this stage and the latter has lot of catching up to do. They don't have to optimize their existing compute apps like folding for open-cl. It already does better in cuda. Don't get biased by luxmark compute benchmarks. Its highly optimized by amd for open-cl and is the sole ray tracing app for them. There are still industry standard ray tracing softwares like mental-ray and i-ray. They are all cuda based and are extremely matured. Avatar movie used mental ray for lighting effects. Open-cl based ray tracing does not find application in games yet. Its still direct compute.

Tomshardware and anandtech said the same in their reviews. They just include open-cl for cross-platform benchmarks, because using cuda only will handicap AMD.
Apart from cuda, the only cross platform compute API that nvidia supports is direct-compute. It does not warrant 7970 any compute victory. For professional use , you'll still need tesla and firepro cards.
See here:

Looking at these results, two things become clear. First, Nvidia regrettably still appears to treat OpenCL as a second-class API. Second, the F@H benchmark proves that porting a CUDA application to OpenCL is not as trivial as it may sound. While the GeForce cards dominate when it comes to protein folding with the explicit solvent, AMD’s Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition comes out on top in financial analysis performance.

Open-cl has a lot of ground to cover to prove itself as a first class choice of API. Yeah but i also admit that 780 also performs bad than titan in cuda compute as it has been stripped of a lot of DP units for cost cutting. Then again, these are purely gaming cards and open-cl/cuda performance hardly matters.

So saying "7970 has better compute performance" is slightly misleading. It does better in its playing field and only open-cl app that is useful according to me is bit-coin mining. Its kind of clear that in pure performance, 7970 is completely outclassed here. Its all upto price points now. For absolute performance, nothing beats 780 ( if you don't consider titan). For a $400 card, 7970 makes a lot of sense and value for 1080p gaming.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
time for SLI ;-)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 SLI Review | techPowerUp
Review: KFA² GeForce GTX 780 in SLI - Graphics - HEXUS.net
HARDOCP - GeForce GTX 780 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Video Card Review
*www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_sli_review,1.html

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ This is the card I might be going for. This card offers tremendous performance for a single GPU platform, low TDP and very good overclocking potential at a reasonable price point. Anybody, opting for XHD resolution (2560X1400 or 2560X1600) and prefers a single GPU, should go for it. Also, the new driver offered by nVidia does have lots of tweaking.
Regarding compute performance, frankly when I am spending $650, gaming performance is what I am looking for primarily, other stuffs are in 2nd place. In compute performance based on OpenCL, it might be slower but still can get the jobs done efficiently. But in gaming, it allows users to enable settings which was previously almost impossible.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
^^ This is the card I might be going for. This card offers tremendous performance for a single GPU platform, low TDP and very good overclocking potential at a reasonable price point. Anybody, opting for XHD resolution (2560X1400 or 2560X1600) and prefers a single GPU, should go for it. Also, the new driver offered by nVidia does have lots of tweaking.
Regarding compute performance, frankly when I am spending $650, gaming performance is what I am looking for primarily, other stuffs are in 2nd place. In compute performance based on OpenCL, it might be slower but still can get the jobs done efficiently. But in gaming, it allows users to enable settings which was previously almost impossible.

too much out of budget... any news on its amd rival?
Is it available in india ata good price point..?
I m honda build 1.5 lakh rig soon so I m asking this...

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
too much out of budget... any news on its amd rival?
Is it available in india ata good price point..?
I m honda build 1.5 lakh rig soon so I m asking this...

There won't an amd rival to this card. Amd has no plans refreshing their GCN line up but improve drivers, especially in crossfire.
Now even reviewers are mentioning directly to avoid crossfire. AMD has to fix these problems first rather than launching new ones.

They have a successor planned, but that won't compete with kepler series but Maxwell. Its gonna show up in the end of this year or most probably next year.

Btw, for your 1.5l rig, a single 780 makes a lot of sense. Wait for the prices to stabilize. Currently its 49k but should come down a bit.

In India, all prices are insane TBH.

Top Bottom