GPU NEWS Channel

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
now here's something hefty with nice looks ;-)

*img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/nvidia/GTX77059/PalitJS/Card2S.jpg

Thick heatpipes and copious amounts of copper give the card plenty of heft - it weighs 880g - and it may well be needed as this model is clocked in at 1,150MHz core and 1,202MHz Boost - up from the 1,046MHz/1,084MHz of the reference card - though memory is kept at a default, albeit impressive, 7,010MHz.

It certainly doesn't hurt to push the card further, and we managed a core speed of 1,220MHz and memory running at an effective 7,312MHz. The RAM would go a fair bit higher, we noted, close to 8,000MHz, but, strangely, there was no commensurate increase in benchmark performance.

*img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/nvidia/GTX77059/PalitJS/FCOC.png

Review: Palit GeForce GTX 770 JetStream - Graphics - HEXUS.net

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, the pricing is a PITA indeed but so far Palit has the best GTX 770 both looks [ busty beauty ;-) ] and performance wise but still it's not out on the market for anyone to get.

anyway, palit has two more variants of GTX 770 :
*news.softpedia.com/news/Palit-Has-Three-GeForce-GTX-770-Cards-357734.shtml

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I can imagine Titan owners to be raging hard ..
They should have seen this coming :).. It doesnt make sense spending 1200$ on a single card

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
overclocking performance can't be guaranteed and Titan owners can OC their gfx card too but still $1200 to own the world's fastest single gpu looks too much invetstment.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Titan is $999 afaik.

Actually slides like that hide a lot like gameplay settings and the likes. Titan has a performance advantage and is the only gpu to play all all current games at their highest settings at 1440p resolutions.
A single 770 cannot pull it off. But 770 sli is a beast at $800.

I think nvidia cards are getting sensibly priced in india recently. The current pricing of 650-ti boost and 660 ( both oc models), retail for 11.5k and 13k respectively.
770 should end up close to current 7970 pricing which is around 26k.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hefty price tag of Titan is not only for gaming but GTX 770 and GTX 780 can't match the compute performance of Titan from Nvidia ( barring AMD cards ) and being the world fastest single gpu card demands some premium.

Now Zotac GTX 770 Amp probably the fsatest GTX 770 available but priced more than 30K.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
heard 760 launching this week @$299.
@vicky 660 @13K ? can you give a link every where it's more than 14K.

GIGABYTE GV-N660OC-2GD GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series Graphics Card

MSI N660-2GD5/OC NVIDIA - GeForce 600 Series Graphics Card

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
thanks vicky
thinking of upgrading my old 9600GT it served me well for last 5 years and still going strong.
will decide after I see the price of 760

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nvidia Set to Radically Change Business Model, License Graphics Cores to Others.

Nvidia Corp. on Tuesday announced plans to alter its business model considerably. From a developer of supplier of chips and products on their base, the company wants to become a technology licensee ad adopt business model akin to that of ARM Holdings as well as Imagination Technologies.

PC sales are declining with the rise of smartphones and tablets. Yesterday’s PC industry, which produced several hundred million units a year, will soon become a computing-devices industry that produces many billions of units a year with visual computing is at the epicenter of it all. The consequences of these changes are apparent everywhere. New industry leaders are emerging. Companies differentiate not only on products but on business models. Some create systems from industry-standard chips. Others are vertically integrated and build their own chips, systems, software and even services. Some do both.

For chip-makers like Nvidia that invent fundamental advances, this disruption provides an opening to expand their business model. Not so long ago, Nvidia only made and sold GPU chips. Five years ago, it introduced Tegra, a system on a chip. More recently, Grid – a complete system that streams cloud games and other graphics-rich content – as well as the Shield gaming portable have been unveiled.

“But it is not practical to build silicon or systems to address every part of the expanding market. Adopting a new business approach will allow us to address the universe of devices. So, our next step is to license our GPU cores and visual computing patent portfolio to device manufacturers to serve the needs of a large piece of the market,” a statement by Nvidia reads.

It is noteworthy that Nvidia has done something similar in the past: it licensed an earlier GPU core to Sony for the PlayStation 3 and receive more than $250 million a year from Intel as a license fee for its visual computing patents. Now, the explosion of Google Android-based devices presents an unprecedented opportunity to accelerate this effort.

“We will start by licensing the GPU core based on the Nvidia Kepler architecture, the world’s most advanced, most efficient GPU. Its DX11, OpenGL 4.3, and GPGPU capabilities, along with vastly superior performance and efficiency, create a new class of licensable GPU cores. Through our efforts designing Tegra into mobile devices, we’ve gained valuable experience designing for the smallest power envelopes. As a result, Kepler can operate in a half-watt power envelope, making it scalable from smartphones to supercomputers,” said Nvidia.

Kepler is the basis for currently shipping GeForce, Quadro and Tesla GPUs, as well as the next-generation Tegra mobile processor codenamed Logan. Licensees will receive all necessary designs, collateral and support to integrate Nvidia’s powerful graphics cores into their devices.

Nvidia will also offer licensing rights to its visual computing portfolio. This will enable licensees to develop their own GPU functionality while enjoying design freedom under the best visual computing patent portfolio in the world.

Nvidia currently invests more in R&D in this area than any other company in the world – over $1 billion annually and more than $6 billion since its founding. The vast majority of its 8500 employees are engaged in these efforts, and the company has more than 5500 patents issued and pending – the industry’s best visual computing patent portfolio.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
will this increase price or decrease ?
say Nvivia builds a GTX880 and releases as $400 part as traditional method but after this new change in Business model what will be the effects?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's going to effect desktop gpu users as most of the buyers of the gpu core license will be the players in the mobile market.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
HD 7990 Crossfire Experiment

Radeon HD 7990 In CrossFire: The Red Wedding Of Graphics - Catching Two Tahitis Behaving Badly

One Card Or Two? How About None?

A single Radeon HD 7990 has a distinct set of issues. Some can be solved; others cannot. The frame pacing issues pointed out in my launch story may very well be eradicated in the future. But the fact that AMD’s most expensive graphics card jettisons waste heat through its shroud won’t change. And that means you shouldn’t even attempt to cram it into a small form factor enclosure. Assuming a full ATX case, why not snag a pair of 7970s, if that’s the route you want to go? Vanilla (950 MHz) boards are going for as little as $370 each. I can’t think of any situation a single 7990 makes more sense.
That takes us to dual-card configurations. The information we’re bringing to light flat-out kills any reason to pair Radeon HD 7990s up in the same system. And this is the best-case chassis, recommended by AMD. It only get worse/hotter from there. Incidentally, two system builders independently reported that sales of all dual-GPU cards (including GeForce GTX 690) dropped to near-nothing once GeForce GTX Titan showed up. One added that quad-SLI systems based on GTX 690 also put out excessive heat that causes problems in certain cases. It solves these issues by using cases with side-panel intake fans.
Demand for Titan outstripped Nvidia’s ability to produce it. So, there is a healthy market for $1000 video cards. Enthusiasts simply don’t want to spend that much on cards that behave badly—regardless of whether they come from AMD or Nvidia.
Given better dual-card options than one Radeon HD 7990 and technical problems putting two 7990s in the same system, it’s difficult to excuse AMD’s fastest dual-slot card. Not even Bitcoin mining is a good reason to want one. Read All About Bitcoin Mining: Road To Riches Or Fool's Gold? for more information on why.
When it launched, a generous eight-game bundle had me on the fence about the 7990’s prospects. But after spending time evaluating its thermals and acoustics (to say nothing about its crashes and performance hiccups in CrossFire, which could become a story unto itself), I can’t think of one reason to recommend 7990 to a friend. And, at the end of the day, that’s what this job is all about.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
true .. a dual gpu card has own share of issues and such setup is not recommended by many be it a AMD or Nvidia but about the temps I think that article is exaggerating them :

AnandTech | AMD Radeon HD 7990 Review: 7990 Gets Official
Radeon HD 7990 review - Graphics card temperatures

I mean how come retail cards perform so badly in thermal performance compared to the press sample ? anyway, if this is what happening truly then third party manufacturers shoild use some better cooling ( hopefully water based ) and as for the tiome being bunk the idea of using 2x HD 7990s.

Top Bottom