GPU NEWS Channel

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
560Ti (448 cores) coming on 29th this month:-

Google Translate

It will give the 570 & 6950 some good competition.

rchi84

In the zone
nice. Found one more article on the net to support this:

Geforce 560Ti refresh incoming

Could this be Nvidia's way of boosting 560Ti sales, by allowing users to unlock it to a 570? lol

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
A History of 3dfx Graphics Cards:-

3dfx Graphics Cards History | Unbiased Computer Hardware Reviews - ThinkComputers.org

The article ends on a depressing note:-
Everyone who was following 3dfx at the time and all of their fans watched the former titan of the industry be reduced to nothing in the matter of 2 years. 3dfx was definitely ahead of their time in many respects. They really pushed the limits with their products and took chances. Technology that was in the Rampage chipset was first seen in GeForce 5 cards, that technology was 3 years old at the time. That just shows you how ahead of the industry 3dfx was. This is one of the great stories that all of us in the computer hardware community will remember.

Hopefully, AMD is not in a similar positon with Bulldozer.

Anybody here used any of these? Will be glad if you share the experience. :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
They were the first company to introduce the Dual GPU concept in the 1st place and it was far ahead of its time. The only thing limiting the SLI (Scan Line Interface) performance was lower powered CPU available that time. Although the concept wasn't popular on that time due to high cost and availability issues, we know the potential of it now.

Yes, the Nvidia SLI technology is the direct dervative of the Scan-Line Interface. Nvidia accuared the tech when they had purchased the company.

Infact the Crossfire is also the brain child of 3DFX, the employees who didn't join Nvidia after the accusition, joined ATI and created their own version of Dual GPU, Crossfire

sukesh1090

Adam young
@skud,
nice find.sad to see that such a good company got bankrupted and even the BD is also ahead of its times.lets hope that this time Microsoft stays with AMD and doesn't leave them in the middle of the river as they did with 3dfx(i got very angry when i read this)

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
AMD again opts for rebranding GPU for southern island---only for entry-to-mid gpu's
Here's the news:
Several Entry-thru-mid Radeon HD 7000 GPUs Mere Rebrands | techPowerUp

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
In other words, they are merely extending support to their Llano APUs. Currently there's no point for AMD to introduce new entry level cards.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
AMD reacts to Kepler news, 7000 series prepped and priced

Nvidia to Start Production of 28nm "Kepler" Chips "Shortly" - Chief Executive.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I guess the following is worth a special attention:

Some of the technologies that Nvidia promised to introduce in Kepler and Maxwell (the architecture that will succeed Kepler) include virtual memory space (which will allow CPUs and GPUs to use the "unified" virtual memory), pre-emption, enhance the ability of GPU to autonomously process the data without the help of CPU and so on. Entry-level chips may not get all the features that Kepler architecture will have to often.

"The reason for our [design win] success, I believe, is because our Kepler generation of GPUs was designed for intense energy efficiency. With energy efficiency, we were able to translate that to simultaneously higher performance, as well as longer battery life," explained Mr. Huang.

I'm sure that kepler will be completely different than fermi and will focus on efficiency and performance/watt, something amd has adopted in recent times.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now Sapphire 6850 gets 2gb treatment:- ;)

SAPPHIRE HD 6850 gets 2GB frame buffer

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Excellent find skud:). What about pricing? A pair of this in cf will work wonders in higher resolution.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Making a calculative guess: 1gb 6850 10k on an avg, 1gb 6870 12k on an avg, so this should not be more than 11k to remain viable. ;)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Then how about a HD 6850 X2 4GB? Yes, 2GB per frame buffer. I think it is an excellent setup for Multi-Monitor Setup or 3D gaming.

ColorFire Shows Off Xstorm HD 6850 X2 4 GB Graphics Card | techPowerUp

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what happens when AMD/nVIDIA delay the next gen cards. ;)

Excellent card btw, also have some interesting features apart from VRAM:-

All of the PCB's contacts (the metal-exposed parts onto which components are soldered), apart from the PCIe and CFBE interfaces, are plated with silver. Silver is one of the best conductors. ColorFire argues that the use of silver contacts reduces resistance, and also helps with cooling.

The next interesting feature is the use of DIP-switched based voltage control, which is an old-school yet direct and effective way of tuning voltages. Voltage measurement points are consolidated to a convenient location (next to the power connectors), and are angled for easy access. Lastly, a pair of jumpers near the display output connectors, allows you to switch between two sets of EEPROMs, each having a different clock and voltage profile.

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
*www.donanimhaber.com/ekran-karti/haberleri/AMD-Radeon-HD-7000-serisi-icin-fiyat-bilgileri.htm

AMD Radeon HD 7000 series for price information

After several discussions of different manufacturers can be said to be emerging as the current tablounun; Radeon HD 6990> GTX 590> Radeon HD 7970> GeForce GTX 580> Radeon HD 7950> Radeon HD 6970>GeForce GTX 570.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
AnandTech - Zalman to Enter Graphics Card Market With AMD GPUs

Good to see a new player in graphics card market.

somebodysme

Journeyman
Hello Guys,
I want to buy ASUS MATRIX GTX 580 graphic card, can anyone tell where I can get it. I live in Pune, Maharashtra.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Hello Guys,
I want to buy ASUS MATRIX GTX 580 graphic card, can anyone tell where I can get it. I live in Pune, Maharashtra.

Top Bottom