GPU NEWS Channel

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
warning to ico for foul language. Be civil and maintain the decorum of the forum. both of you.(ico and vickybat)
this is a news channel thread , no more arguing here...

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Will be back.....

Re-opening the thread. Please be civil, and not personal.

Thanks.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
nvidia is the only viable option for people using Linux. Is there any upcoming Gcard from nvidia which I can look to buy. I am using the latest catalyst version 11.7 from ATI for my HD4670 but it is still giving me plenty of problems.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ This is a news channel mate. If you want to purchase a card, then create a separate thread in the graphics card section. We will answer all your queries there.:smile:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just found this:-

The 22 Greatest Graphics Cards Of All Time - Meet The Most Legendary Graphics Cards

Reading.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Nice reading, I was littlebit nostalgic while seeing some of the cards I owned, in the list. Thanks for the link.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Cilus and Tenida.

I still have the TNT2, albeit not the Ultra one, pounding in a P4 PC. It also has 256mb of RDRAM and a Iomega CDRW. Good antique value. ;)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have another one, a XFX Geforce 4MX 440SE which just died last week after working without the fan for 5 years. This was an upgrade to the TNT2 to play NOLF2.

Glorious 2003. ;)

Tenida

Gadget Freak
I have used Riva TNT2 32MB,XFX FX5200,Geforce 7200GS,XFX 8600Gt and now MSI GTX560Ti TFII ;-)

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
My cards are Geforce 2 32 MB, then 6800 Ultra in SLI (2005), a XFX 6600 GT as temporay card, 8800 GTS 640 MB, HD 5770, then HD 6870 and another HD 6870. Latest addition is GTX 260.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whoops! 6800 Ultra SLI from GF2!!! :shock: Huge upgrade. The rest are pretty muted in comparison.

And the transformation is pretty striking: from 6800 SLI to 6800 CFX. ;)

J

Joker

Just found this:-

The 22 Greatest Graphics Cards Of All Time - Meet The Most Legendary Graphics Cards

Reading.
i will try to sum up history.

nvidia was leading with geforce 4 series cards and previous cards..after a number of failures (7500) and good tries (8500), ati finally came up with 9700 pro and remained at top. extended further with 9800 pro/xt...nvidia then launched geforce fx 5 series which were embarrasment...nvidia responded 1.5 years later in 2004 with 6800 ultra which became the fastest card. ati took time responded with x800 pro/xt and it was a stalemate. then nvidia fired again with 7800 gtx. ati responded half a year late with x1900 xtx which beat 7800 gtx. then x1950 xtx extending the lead...nvidia then fired with dual gpu 7950gx2. then came 8800 (1st to directx 10) and hd 2000 series. 8800 gt/gtx/ultra were epic win for nvidia followed whereas hd 2000 were flop and sucked bigtime. dont know why apple used hd 2000 in their imacs.

ati quickly luanched hd 3000 series and they came up with a new strategy -they wont delay GPU's to make them big and powerful -instead they will create sweet spot mianstream GPU's with small die and combine two of those for highend. hd 3850/3870 and x2 were launched. they were still inferior to 8800...but previous hd 2900xt issues were sorted. 2900xt was 90nm (2600 models were 65nm)...hd 3850/70 were 55nm. good jump by ati here on the manufacturing process. nvidia on the other hand, simply most 8800 models to 9800 and prepared for gt 200.

gtx 260 ($400) and 280 ($650) launched in june 2009. they were obviously the fastest cards but were expensive and die was HUGE -imean it. then happened what i would say is an equivalent turn around to conroe. within two weeks, ati launched hd 4850 and 4870 for $200 and $300. dies were small, yields were high per waffer, profit per gpu was more. hd 4870 offered like 80% of gtx 280's at performance for less than half the price? troubles for nvidia started there. despite being slightly slower, the value for money provided by hd 4850/70 was unbeatable. hd 4890 and gtx 285 also came ~half a year later. the current scenario, we all would be knowing...

both the companies have had their share of ups and downs.

u must have seen sometimes ppl taunt nvidia for rebranding cards..actually what they did was...rebranded 9800gtx+ to gts 250 and didnt give launch day samples to many reviewers -anandtech and hardocp. see-nothing wrong with rebranding but why try to hide it. ok 9800gtx+ would have very well fitted in their portfolio-it made sense. but still dont be corporate douchebags.
before an argument like above happens -i can very well provide proof for the above fact but i want to leave that for u to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
A 6850X2 spotted:

InsideHW - Colorfire makes dual-GPU Radeon HD 6850 X2 graphics card

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Check this
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition Review - Page 1 - Introduction & Specifications

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
What Lucid is really up to?

Lucid's 'smarter vsync' could revolutionize game performance - The Tech Report - Page 1

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone wants this card? ;)

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2Win 2GB Dual-GPU Graphics Card Review | PC Perspective

Top Bottom