GPU NEWS Channel

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nvidia is making some hefty profits. Thanks to their mobile discrete gpu's with optimus technology (allows gpu switching in real time).

Considering last years net loss of $141 million , they have earned a huge profit this quarter with $ 151 million. Finally the hard work is paying off ( according to nvidia).

Source

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^^ their discrete desktop market share is still down. AMD is eating that away despite AMD's very own APU's hampering their GPU sales. Edit: in mobile too.

Tegra 2 saving them precisely.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ their desktop market share is still down. AMD is eating that away despite AMD's very own APU's hampering their GPU sales.

Tegra 2 saving them precisely.

Any source??

Its not only tegra 2 but also their mobile geforce gpu's.
Its doing far more than just saving i.e giving some hefty profits as well.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Any source??

Its not only tegra 2 but also their mobile geforce gpu's.
Its doing far more than just saving i.e giving some hefty profits as well.
for Q1 here it is. for Q2 here.

Regarding mobile GPUs, I don't give a toss about what Jensen says. Dynamic switching sucks currently - both Optimus and AMD Bacon. This generation's Radeons are fairly more common with HP/Compaq, Acer and Apple.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Discrete market share is still higher than amd. Quoting from that tomshardware article:

In its discrete business, Nvidia actually did well. the company held a 59.1% market share in desktop discrete graphics (AMD: 40.5%) and 41.7% in notebook discrete graphics (AMD: 58.3%).

That's Q1 & in Q2, BOTH AMD and NVIDIA lost shares. In fact AMD lost more than Nvidia if we follow that second link.

Regarding mobile GPUs, I don't give a toss about what Jensen says. Dynamic switching sucks currently - both Optimus and AMD Bacon. This generation's Radeons are fairly more common with HP/Compaq, Acer and Apple.

I didn't get the bold part. Could you throw some more light into it i.e why it sucks?
I see better power management in those features.

Nvidia mobile gpu's are common as well. Asus, dell, lennovo prefer geforce than radeons in their basic as well has high end hardware. Alienware!!

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Discrete market share is still higher than amd.
It actually makes no difference if you count 8600 GT in that. If you have a DX 11 card. It is 62% to AMD.

AMD's APUs go into CPU sales.

I didn't get the bold part. Could you throw some more light into it i.e why it sucks?
I see better power management in those features.
Major driver issues. Took more than 1 year for nVidia to sort out Optimus. It still doesn't work in Linux. HP fixed Bacon within 3 months with a firmware upgrade. Still doesn't work in Linux. And I repeat, both of them are still not sorted out. They just assume which software needs what - IGP or dGPU and use it which doesn't work out at many times. edit: even through profiles.

Nvidia mobile gpu's are common as well. Asus, dell, lennovo prefer geforce than radeons in their basic as well has high end hardware. Alienware!!
Dell = Alienware. Dell has plenty of laptops with HD 6470/6490M and had HD 5650M. I have an old Studio XPS 16 which has HD 4670M. Earlier model had HD 3670M card. Infact, after Dell's massive problems with overheating 8600M GT in XPS, it is for the first time you are seeing GT 525/GT 540M in the new Studio XPS 15.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
It actually makes no difference if you count 8600 GT in that. If you have a DX 11 card. It is 62% to AMD.

Is there a concrete proof to that number or its just another speculation?

Major driver issues. Took more than 1 year for nVidia to sort out Optimus. It still doesn't work in Linux. HP fixed Bacon within 3 months with a firmware upgrade. Still doesn't work in Linux. And I repeat, both of them are still not sorting out. They just assume which software needs what - IGP or dGPU and use it.

Nevertheless its one of the most useful features to be implemented in the mobile segment the way i see it. Saves a lot of power.

I guess its paying off now if you look at the sales charts.
I also think you can manually set the gpu type in nvidia control panel depending upon app type.
For eg-

When playing a game, you can select the discrete gpu and when working on a spread sheet , the igp can be selected in nvidia control panel.
Profiles can be set too afaik.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
No proof just a Steam fact. :)

and quite an obvious one indeed. 6 months of free market for HD 500.

Then its baseless. You don't speculate sales but believe factual numbers.

Most essential CRM methodolgy.

You only see things. You don't use them.

Do you use everything that you see?
If yes, then i don't enjoy the same benefits and privileges like you.

But i read a lot.

See here.

This is important for laptop users because in the past, consumers were forced to prioritize performance or battery life, as one feature typically suffered significantly in order to accommodate the other. Older technology called “Switchable Graphics” helped address this but there were still several issues. With switchable graphics, users have the benefit of both a discrete GPU and integrated graphics in a laptop, but they must manually switch between the two. Switching sometimes requires shutting down applications or rebooting the system. Also, with switchable graphics users must remember what state their laptop is in and switch when necessary. The result is users get frustrated and rarely switch.

Optimus is different because it determines the best processor for the workload and routes it accordingly. The result is users automatically get the performance they need while also maximizing battery life, transparently, and with zero effort. It just works.

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Steam baseless? :rolleyes: I guess it was also baseless about AMD having 95% DX11 marketshare in March 2010. :mrgreen:

Google for Optimus/Bacon problems. Regarding Bacon, there is a huge thread in this forum itself.

The only difference in my posts and your posts is, I say things as they are from a neutral PoV. here's what a simple Google which you pretty much use for your every post, took me to: GT 540M Optimus Problems with Steam VALVE Games - NVIDIA Forums

Letter to engadget highlighting issue in AMD's muxless 6 series GPUs

Last edited by a moderator:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Steam baseless? :rolleyes: I guess it was also baseless about AMD having 95% DX11 marketshare in March 2010. :mrgreen:

Random site eh? Now you say tomshardware a random site? Baseless again.

I never said steam is baseless did I? That number (62%) was baseless in precise. How did you calculate?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Joker

vickybat said:
my thread said:
In its discrete business, Nvidia actually did well. the company held a 59.1% market share in desktop discrete graphics (AMD: 40.5%) and 41.7% in notebook discrete graphics (AMD: 58.3%).
this is actually marketshare since 2000...imean since gfx business started. in this nvidia is higher.

Nvidia loses more GPU marketshare

amd/ati has been no. 1 since hd 4000 days imho. before nvidia dominated heavily with 8800 & 9800.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Using Google properly would be fine too.

NVIDIA Forums -> Optimus & Hybrid Graphics

I must be stupid. Did I seriously waste my money on this? - NVIDIA Forums

List of games that fail with optimus - NVIDIA Forums

Optimus >and< Steam - NVIDIA Forums

Does the new 280.26 driver fix the Optimus problems? - NVIDIA Forums

I hope you don't want me to post about similar AMD Bacon problems in muxless HP dv6-61xx laptops (now fixed). Do you?

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I don't know what is wrong with that Chinese CEO of NVIDIA.. They have only one good card in the GTX 5xx series i.e. GTX 560 Ti.. all the other ones are being kicked by AMD's 6xxx series cards.. Although, NVIDIA has good driver support than AMD, but still, they should care less about Tegra & concentrate more on desktop cards.. Moreover, their Tegra is also facing some stiff competitions from Qualcomms' SOCs..

Secondly, my friend who bought 2 GTX 560 Ti cards, was pulling his hair out when Crysis 2 wasn't working in SLI even though he bought his legit copy. Secondly, when he searched the forums it was a problem which was being faced by number of users. He was even willing to sell his 560 Ti and go for a single GTX 590 but Crysis 2 sent an update and then the game started to work. Now, I don't know who to blame here..

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I don't know what is wrong with that Chinese CEO of NVIDIA.. They have only one good card in the GTX 5xx series i.e. GTX 560 Ti.. all the other ones are being kicked by AMD's 6xxx series cards..
lol, Jensen is the only thing which I dislike about nVidia. :p If it would have been someone else declaring their results, I would have been happy. Though I must say, GTX 580 doesn't get kicked by any AMD card. Otherwise, AMD has the current gen market flooded with cards at every darned price point.

J

Joker

dont agree with ICO's language...but i agree with his facts here. both of u need to shut up though.ICO is wrong at the language -but factually he is right. vickybat is wront with facts -but his language is okay.

Top Bottom