Got an ipad 3, very disappointed - it's just not that great for an Indian context

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
screw tablets. get a galaxy note and a decent laptop. best of both worlds. and dont forget the gaming rig.

Yeah pretty much. A galaxy note is PERFECT for the needs of a typical Indian consumer, in an Indian context.

Everyone in my family loves the ipad, but I'm the only "geek" so yeah. For me it's definitely not completely a waste since it's a great web reader and ebook viewer.

Extremely powerful Desktops are readily available in India for 30-50k.

My point was that ipad and tablets in general are marketed heavily as something that they really can't achieve; especially in an Indian context. India just isn't ready for tablets, or Apple, yet; at least not in a big way.

There will always be a minority of rabid mac fanboys, but that's the thing; they're just a tiiiiny demographic.

All I wanted was some decent discussion, and the fanboys come in and yell troll :(

sygeek

Technomancer
first, the ipad is not a pc! get an android tab

second, you should have done your research before buying it

and finally this is very hypocritical of you, you are willing to shell out thousands of rupees on ipad but want all content to be free, should the developers and others earn nothing for a living?

i mean this is amazing hypocrisy ...
*ahem* open source developers

Honestly, an average user will be fine with an iPad . But since you wanted free apps, seamless syncing from pc, and emulators etc., you should obviously opted for an android tablet. Although android may as well suffer the same in some cases as an iPad.

My point was that ipad and tablets in general are marketed heavily as something that they really can't achieve; especially in an Indian context. India just isn't ready for tablets, or Apple, yet; at least not in a big way.
Gotta agree with that.

Also, a friend of mine bought an iPad (same applies for any other tab) and basically said it's pretty much useless without an internet connection, you can't do much at all. He had to specifically get a cheap 3G plan (with retarded usage limit) to use the internet.

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Also, a friend of mine bought an iPad (same applies for any other tab) and basically said it's pretty much useless without an internet connection, you can't do much at all. He had to specifically get a cheap 3G plan (with retarded usage limit) to use the internet.

Even PCs these days are pretty much useless with Internet.

Tell your friend to get a broadband connection at home and browse the net using wifi.

doomgiver

Warframe
Even PCs these days are pretty much useless with Internet.

Tell your friend to get a broadband connection at home and browse the net using wifi.

wow. just wow. im speechless.
what kind of os are you using? jolicloud? or the google os, that your computer is useless without the net?

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
agreed, ipad is pretty much useless, unless you are bored and nothing to do in life. or in my case, we develop for it.
i hv 2 ipads... from work..

sarthak

In the zone
so, you mean to say that we HAVE to have a fast net, and we, as a society, should flog ourselves before the altar of Apple to repent for the sin of *gasp* not having a fast net???

When did I say that ? I just said that its not Apple's fault that we have slow internet, and its not fair to curse the iPad or Apple because our internet is slow. Apple's not the one providing you with internet, its your isp. And even on an Android tablet if you want to use a similar service (dropbox, ubuntu one, etc.) you need a good internet connection. Next OP will buy a Transformer Prime and then say that Google Drive(or any other cloud storage service) is bad because he has slow and limited internet ?

also, where did the OP mention he is comparing the tablet with a laptop?

10) Multitasking is really awkward. Although the ipad3 supports multitasking, it's not even close to what you would expect from a windows PC. Not having a task manager or control over apps to shut them down is annoying.

11) The Browser isn't that good. Neither safari or dolphin (the favorite web browser app) come anywhere close to the likes of IE9, Opera, Firefox or even Chrome. It's really odd that there's opera mini for smartphones but none for the ipad.

12) Gaming. Although it's not really something Indians do; it begs mention since gaming is such a heavily marketed feature. Gaming on the ipad is abysmal. You only have access to a handful of free games, and even then the games are terrible casual garbage like angry birds or 1 minute bejewelled. Don't expect to play diablo 3 or call of duty type games.

21) No cd/dvd support. Want to watch a movie on a dvd ? well sorry f%^% you.

25) Crappy network management. There's no way to easily check what apps are using the internet, what's being downloaded or updated and so on; it just "happens". There's a lack of control.
There isn't an easy to figure out network strength/packet loss on Wifi : on a laptop I can quickly pull up a ping or run d3tr and see if something is wrong with my connection; then reconnect to get a new gateway. Not really feasible on the ipad. Again, tablets are 1st world devices where bandwidth is a non-issue.

icloud, itunes and other apple bloatware are teh sux.
i mean, seriously? they are marketing cloud storage in a country where women are beaten and children turned into slaves just for an extra GB of bandwidth???

I don't like them either, and I too am a Apple hater. But some people like Apple products due to there simplicity and refinement. If you don't like something it doesn't mean no one would like it. And some of his points target each and every tablet. And as mentioned before he is comparing it with things you expect from a laptop ( cd/dvd drive, diablo 3 and cod on tablet ?)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Finally.. after so many days.. I get a good troll thread to enjoy :D .. keep it coming !!

CloudS

Broken In
Touchscreen precision is very good for me, don't know about you. Don't remember when I clicked something else than what I was going to.
there are a lot of good free apps. Even online MP game was free, some fighter game.

Sarath

iDota
Haha :lol:

You did raise a couple of good points, like 3 to 5 I guess. The rest well, :facepalm:

Add Point 26: The new Ipad doesn't do your laundry or make breakfast for you. Really disappointed. My washing machine and toaster can do that and they cost much less than the iPad. Bad apple!

WT# moments:
1) 16GB is peanuts. Yes, the packaging has a BIG 16GB print on it.

4)it's quite heavy and doesn't fit in your pocket.:shock: You can't really easily carry it around with you. It's not that amazing for bedtime reading since after a while your hands will ache holding it up. It doesn't in any way replace a book, for example. Since you'll want to rest it on a flat surface anyway, why not just get a laptop ? :lol:

5) Since Apple is firmly against all forms of pirated content and software; if we are to be realistic in an Indian scenario the consequences aren't too pretty. Apple intentionally cripples its own OS and has premium apps to do very basic things. So you're looking at a steady stream of $5-10 to do basic things. Apple is not the only one against piracy, they are just affective at implementing it, i.e. till a JB shows up Also Indians are not the ones developing the JB tools etc. I don't see why this becomes an "Indian" problem.

9) There is no back button like smartphones/android devices/PC. What! The back button appears on the top, each time you go into a sub menu. I would advice: "looking for it"

10) Multitasking is really awkward. Although the ipad3 supports multitasking, it's not even close to what you would expect from a windows PC. Not having a task manager or control over apps to shut them down is annoying. :facepalm:

11) The Browser isn't that good. Neither safari or dolphin (the favorite web browser app) come anywhere close to the likes of IE9, Opera, Firefox or even Chrome. It's really odd that there's opera mini for smartphones but none for the ipad.

12) Gaming. Although it's not really something Indians do; it begs mention since gaming is such a heavily marketed feature. Gaming on the ipad is abysmal. You only have access to a handful of free games, and even then the games are terrible casual garbage like angry birds or 1 minute bejewelled. Don't expect to play diablo 3 or call of duty type games. :epicfacepalm: > :facepalm: Why do you think in todays day, there are still the likes of a gaming PC, PS3, Xbox, Wii, Nintendo DS, PS Vita and Gizmondo:D

14) Since voltage fluctuations are common in India the charger (which hilariously uses a USB cord lulz) gets incredibly hot. Read this twice, didn't understand the point.

15) Photo management. If you have a hi-res SLR or prosumer camera; copying files to the ipad is a pain. First off you need a camera connection kit which is $20-30. There is little control on what is being copied and you'll fill up your pathetic 16 gigs from 1 set of pics from your camera. It won't be compressed so each image will be 5-6 megs.
On top of all this once you copy, say, 500 photos. There's no easy way to delete lots of them (say you take a bunch of shots, some are trash and you want to delete them, or you want to delete an entire folder). You have to select each file and delete individually. There is no select all or delete all option. Laughable isn't it ? yeah, I agree with the laughable part :lol:

16) Gaming - emulators. Many people enjoy playing 8/16 bit games of yesteryear on mobile devices laptops (old school mario, zelda etc). Again apple dislikes the legal implications of these so completely disallows any kind of emulation. Android. Period. (=...)

18) Does not support flash. Neither dolphin nor safari support flash and this means tons of websites won't show animations or just not work at all. It's not really something you can ignore when current tablet hardware can quite easily support flash. It's been 4 years. The debate is dead.

21) No cd/dvd support. Want to watch a movie on a dvd ? well sorry f%^% you. NO! No more. Please. Even my car doesn't fly!

22) No support for ADSL/DSL or thumbdrive wifi (no usb :D). This means you have to buy a fairly expensive wifi router for your ipad. But be warned indian buildings with reinforced concrete floors+pillars and brick and mortar walls are terrible for wifi penetration. You are right. When I went to US, their butterscotch laden walls with Marshmellow reinforcement were both good for the wifi and it's hungry inmates. Yes, I've never been to US :)

24) iCloud - another heavily marketed but totally pointless feature in an India context; along with all forms of cloud computing which receives considerable media hype. What's the point of storing massive amounts of data online when internet is a)slow b) limited and c) expensive ?
These things make start making sense with unlimited 20 Mbps or higher connections. Not on sh1tty 1mbps lines with pathetic limits (FUP), horrible packet loss, jitter and latency.
1mbps is pretty much enough to upload your files. Unless you want to stream it down 1080p. Apple also supports dropbox and box. Use them.

I'm not saying the ipad is a bad tablet. Right now it's easily the best tablet in the market. The problem is that in India it really has too many issues to be a purchase that's really worth it. In fact, *any* tablet is a very questionable purchase in India. Why? What's so wrong with our country that we can't even have a tablet here.

It's ok if you want a casual web reader and it really is the best way to view colorful pdf docs. You just nailed it here. That's what tablets do

I agree with the rest of your points. Most of which can be answered in the following ways:
1. Android
2. You should have got a laptop instead
3. Apple sucks!

:)

Money doesn't solve many problems but definitely yours.

Like getting more GB, Getting a decent laptop, Getting paid apps by paying for them,

Some don't need money, like doing research before buying, getting stronger hands (yes! it's heavy but you still gotta lug it around), and getting your tailor to stitch a nice big pocket.

21) No cd/dvd support. Want to watch a movie on a dvd ? well sorry f%^% you.

Introducing the CD/DVD support. Back-trolled
Samsung Optical Smart Hub SE-208BW review -- Engadget

Voila!*www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/02/img7401.jpg

R2K

In the Zone
He didn't say anything about the battery backup.
Surprised about it since he even found a fault with the charger and the cord that comes with it :D

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
the OP Is right The ipad isn't good in the indian context for the simple reason that most people here are pirates and get mostly every possible
media/entertainment stuff from torrents
*torrentfreak.com/india-huge-growth-market-for-bittorrent-sites-081119/
most other points of the OP are rants
sadly,OP might have gone for the Ipad because of peer pressure since most people in india are well....
white-worshiping/immitating monkeys:grin:
/Flame-proof armor-On
anti-Troll gun-equipped

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
I'm not sure why any kind of criticism towards tablets is met with the assumption of trolling or "but you should have got a laptop". It's not about me, so why I personally got an ipad is completely irrelevant.

I'm basically saying that a netbook or small laptop makes a lot more sense than a tablet right now in the Indian market. On the other end of the mobility scale smartphones naturally have a definite purpose, but tablets don't really have a specific use yet, especially in India.

Many of the problems I mentioned are either specific to Apple or just problems with tablets in general.

1) Yes, the packaging has a BIG 16GB print on it.
The point was that 16/32/64GB is miniscule when netbooks that cost less have far more storage space. The ipad is supposed to be a media consumption device and media takes a lot of space. Not having USB support is bizarre when it's so easy to have tons of media on an external hard drive or an external cd/dvd drive.

4)it's quite heavy and doesn't fit in your pocket. You can't really easily carry it around with you. It's not that amazing for bedtime reading since after a while your hands will ache holding it up. It doesn't in any way replace a book, for example. Since you'll want to rest it on a flat surface anyway, why not just get a laptop ?
The point is tablets aren't *that* mobile. A smartphone is, and if you can carry around a tablet, why not just carry a netbook or small laptop ?
A smartphone can do pretty much everything that a tablet can so what exactly is the requirement for a tablet ?

5) Apple is not the only one against piracy, they are just affective at implementing it, i.e. till a JB shows up Also Indians are not the ones developing the JB tools etc. I don't see why this becomes an "Indian" problem.
Piracy is an "indian" problem given how extremely rampant it is. Not only are Indians used to piracy, there are dozens of foreign films and TV shows that are simply unavailable in India which forces you to pirate. Extremely limited codec support means that watching them on your ipad is a chore.

9) What! The back button appears on the top, each time you go into a sub menu. I would advice: "looking for it"
The main issue is extremely limited context sensitive buttons. Apple always tries to simplify design, but in doing that they make it more awkward to do many basic tasks.

10) windows PC.
or a netbook, or a laptop.

Not sure what the problem is here; I just mentioned a couple of browsers.

12) Gaming.
:epicfacepalm: > Why do you think in todays day, there are still the likes of a gaming PC, PS3, Xbox, Wii, Nintendo DS, PS Vita and Gizmondo
Support for gaming is extremely limited as is the selection of games available. Tablet gaming received a huge amount of hype over the last few years but really it hasn't taken off at all.

14) charger Read this twice, didn't understand the point.
the charger gets hot.

15) Photo management. Laughable isn't it ? yeah, I agree with the laughable part
The lack of a basic file explorer makes it harder to organize photos. It's not really too much to ask for to delete entire folders quickly.

16) Gaming - emulators. Android. Period. (=...)
I know emulators are available on the android. They aren't on the ipad. They might come out once the ipad 3 is jailbroken I guess.

18) flash. The debate is dead.
It's not a debate. Flash is used by lots of websites and there really isn't any good reason not to support it.

21) No cd/dvd support. Want to watch a movie on a dvd ? well sorry f%^% you. NO! No more. Please. Even my car doesn't fly!
Absurd hyperboles ? Why is it too much to ask for to want basic USB support ? This isn't directed exclusively to ipads but tablets in general.

22) You are right. When I went to US, their butterscotch laden walls with Marshmellow reinforcement were both good for the wifi and it's hungry inmates. Yes, I've never been to US
what ?

24) iCloud
1mbps is pretty much enough to upload your files. Unless you want to stream it down 1080p. Apple also supports dropbox and box. Use them.
Why would I waste limited bandwidth on backing up files to a cloud server ?

Samsung Optical Smart Hub SE-208BW review -- Engadget
a $130 wifi router+cd drive ? do you seriously think anyone would ever buy this ? Even the review you linked doesn't like it...

Back-trolled
what ?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmmm the photo manager is great
you can create multiple albums based on the diff sets of photos camera roll (once you take with iPad), photostream (synced photos with iCloud) and photo library (photos synced with dekstop)

your argument is that tablets are useless for everyone because you don't have a use for it. don't worry about what "everyone else" should use
a similar statement would be nobody needs dSLRs because prosumers are better in most circumstances

there can be no assumptions on how someone else may use a specific device, because these devices are extremely personal, you settled down to use it as an ebook reader, others may find some such niche use and be happy

there is a real danger with apple devices - iPods and iPads, that they may just not click, in which case the devies are resold, or even given away. the two relevant points here are that
a) the services available from the device are restricted geographically by apple - which is why it is best to know what apps and services you will use before the device, and if necessary, start with an account from another country
b) the constant need for wi-fi connectivity - this is again something that needs to be managed, but if there is wi-fi at home and at work/college, guessing this is manageable.

apart from these there is nothing stopping from iPads being used properly, the way they are meant to be

often, people have some extra cash to buy something nice, or may want to gift something to their relatives, in such cases, the less "necessary" items like digital photo frames, e-book readers and tablets make good sense instead of just giving another phone

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
hmmm the photo manager is great
you can create multiple albums based on the diff sets of photos camera roll (once you take with iPad), photostream (synced photos with iCloud) and photo library (photos synced with dekstop)
It's alright I suppose. For me personally, the lack of a good file explorer was crippling. A good example I talked about is deleting entire folders, and seeing exactly how much space your photos are occupying.

your argument is that tablets are useless for everyone because you don't have a use for it. don't worry about what "everyone else" should use
a similar statement would be nobody needs dSLRs because prosumers are better in most circumstances
Oh I can definitely see that tablets would be appealing to some people; but there are definite problems to a device like the ipad that is marketed to be a laptop replacement, when it's not.

there can be no assumptions on how someone else may use a specific device, because these devices are extremely personal, you settled down to use it as an ebook reader, others may find some such niche use and be happy
Yup, that's the thing; it's a niche device. It's definitely not something that the typical user would want. In India the average computer user is a lot more of a "power user" than the US. It's actually quite surprising how stupid some american users are, so very simplistic devices are more appropriate there. Just something to consider. In the USA there are people that are very ordinary/barely uneducated people using smart devices. Compare that to the demographic of people buying them here in India. It's fair to assume that the typical Indian tech consumer is a lot more comfortable with things that americans would call "nerdy".

Indian and American markets are *VERY* different. There's a lot of denial about this in the media and even here. The typical Indian consumer of IT devices is almost definitely a lot smarter, and there are major issues like cost, piracy and crappy internet. A lot of these aren't issues outside of India. Gaming for example is almost non-existent in India, yet another thing with a lot of denial in the media.

often, people have some extra cash to buy something nice, or may want to gift something to their relatives, in such cases, the less "necessary" items like digital photo frames, e-book readers and tablets make good sense instead of just giving another phone
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I have one. I just pointed out some obvious deficiencies specific to the ipad and tablets in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom