Got an ipad 3, very disappointed - it's just not that great for an Indian context

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
^theres an entirely different way to use the iOS ecosystem
all of these problems are because of a expectations of what the device should be
yeah you have to pay for your apps. the best game you can get on the iPad is World of Goo, and it was available for $1 during a sale. You have to watch the store every hour for sales, and that's when you buy the apps
no, dont think of FPS games on a tablet, there are some hack n slash TPS, a few free to play MMORPGS, the racing games are good, but the trend is totally casual/social games so dont expect a good good game with a story and plot you can play-through for hours at home, mostly titles with repetitive gameplay (one rare exception is sword and sworcery EP)
yeah many of the apps are premium, or the HD version costs more
try the podcasts and vidcasts features, you might like it, you can download stuff, watch it, and it gets deleted when new subscribed content gets in. there can be a constant stream of media depending on what you like
dont think of options here, Safari is the best browser, nothing else works because nothing else is as well integrated into the system
apple is in fact leading in the ePub standard, which allows all sorts of rich interactive media to be displayed in eBooks
there are a bunch of apps, that plug into a bunch of free and paid sources
essentially, dont even think of putting your own data from outside sources in the iPad, why would you want to do that? yeah watching gigaresolution photos on the retina display is wonderful, but that novelty fades soon

the trend is totally casual/social games so dont expect a good good game with a story and plot you can play-through for hours at home, mostly titles with repetitive gameplay

World of goo is nice, and I definitely agree with what you say about the kind of games available on it.

It's disappointing to have a ton of movies and TV shows on your PC and be unable to watch them on your ipad because:

1) unusual high compression codecs aren't easily supported (mkv files or divx)

2) space constraints

but that novelty fades soon
Yup, this is the ipad in summary pretty much.

also what Indian context are you talking about?
The state of internet in India. The cost of bandwidth that basically prevents you from heavy streaming. The context of piracy. The state of free apps. The lack of a definite market unlike smartphones, laptops or PC's, which would prevent devices like the ipad from really becoming a "hit". Internet really isn't part of everyday life in India in the same way it is in developed countries for very obvious reasons. For example - would you honestly stream media (a movie for example) in India ?
Compare this to how commonplace netflix streaming is in the US or EU. Does anyone in their right mind think that netflix or a comparable service would ever take off in India ?

Just trying to be realistic about a variety of issues that are specific to India, hence the comment about indian "context".

A good example - icloud tries to back up your entire ipad on the internet. That's 10-12 gigs of data easily. How feasible to you think that is given how painfully slow internet is in India, and the ridiculous limits on bandwidth. iCloud or any cloud services for that matter are a total joke when bandwidth is so awful.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^hmm ur conclusion is correct tho, its not yet time for tablets
dont think it ever will be, smartphones are getting good enough

still, iPad games get high scores on metacritic boards, droids are not even tracked
so world of goo is rated higher than portal 2, skyrim and Arkham city for 2011, its the timing of the perfect platform for the game available a couple of years after the game release that allowed this to be possible

iBlast Moki, contre Jour, Anomaly: Warzone Earth... best games

its breathing new life into genres suitable for the platform, particularly tower defense games

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
Sell it off and buy android one or laptop.

Already have an android SGS2 and a laptop. I'm really ok with the ipad being a casual web reader and ebook device. I just pointed some deficiencies that I experienced so far to clear out some of the bullsh1t marketing and peer hype this has been getting.

^hmm ur conclusion is correct tho, its not yet time for tablets
dont think it ever will be, smartphones are getting good enough

still, iPad games get high scores on metacritic boards, droids are not even tracked
so world of goo is rated higher than portal 2, skyrim and Arkham city for 2011, its the timing of the perfect platform for the game available a couple of years after the game release that allowed this to be possible

iBlast Moki, contre Jour, Anomaly: Warzone Earth... best games

its breathing new life into genres suitable for the platform, particularly tower defense games

Yeah I think it's the perfect time for smartphones since their cost is fairly low now, and they are incredibly portable. Tablets... not so much yet.

Yeah world of goo is great. Definitely, games don't always have to be huge AAA titles to be good. Rayman Origins, Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac are all excellent small/indie titles that have met great success amongst critics.

gforz

Maximum GAME
I wonder how idiotic people are when someone posts his opinion about a device and there are abusive replies to it.Common guys ,help a guy but not this way.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
The state of internet in India. The cost of bandwidth that basically prevents you from heavy streaming. The context of piracy. The state of free apps. The lack of a definite market unlike smartphones, laptops or PC's, which would prevent devices like the ipad from really becoming a "hit". Internet really isn't part of everyday life in India in the same way it is in developed countries for very obvious reasons. For example - would you honestly stream media (a movie for example) in India ?
Compare this to how commonplace netflix streaming is in the US or EU. Does anyone in their right mind think that netflix or a comparable service would ever take off in India ?

Just trying to be realistic about a variety of issues that are specific to India, hence the comment about indian "context".

A good example - icloud tries to back up your entire ipad on the internet. That's 10-12 gigs of data easily. How feasible to you think that is given how painfully slow internet is in India, and the ridiculous limits on bandwidth. iCloud or any cloud services for that matter are a total joke when bandwidth is so awful.

ok fair enough, yes iCloud does backup data and photos, and if you turn everything on it can be a load on your system

but its also the convenience, if you have multiple devices, you dont have to worry about transfering media between them, or play a game on one device and continue playing on another

piracy and free apps, yes that is the expectation here, and no one can say its unrealistic to expect many functionalities in the iPad out of the box, at the same time its also the convenience of buying it easily

one of the latest services available to iOS users in the US is the ability to sync your entire mp3 database with the store for $25 a year. think about that one, they are selling people the music they have already pirated.

in the Indian context, a lot of services available on other stores are not even an option here, the Indian app store has a fraction of the media, and media related apps available

about Internet not really being a part of India, well thats where I think the situation is changing in many ways
some parts of mum, blore and pune you cannot walk down the street without getting a free, unsecured wifi connection. some of these were clearly free, some were even of police chowkies... anyone can use these as against walking into a cybercafe... noticed this only after my iPod started actively seeking wifi connections without me asking it to. Discovered warwalking and managed nothing more than a mountain of speedtests.

at the same time, over 2G, most services on an iPad 2 work out fine. you need wi-fi to download the apps, but once downloaded, you can still play a MMORPG like Order and Chaos,

most websites have a separate app, if not a layout for iPads, which makes it easier to consume content from that source

R2K

In the Zone
Ipad became successful just because of its marketing hype in US and other EU countries. And its a well known fact that Indians are now pathetically trying to imitate the same lifestyle of people of US. Whatever sells well in US will definitely be a hit in Indian market. Even if its a bag of Sh!t...just saying..
IMO you should have gone for an android tablet with good build quality like from SONY or the galaxy TAB considering the ways you were planning on using it. ( like external memory , viewing video files without the hassles of specific format support....etc)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
The post below is more or less the story of the whole post. why so much negligence?

11) The Browser isn't that good. Neither safari or dolphin (the favorite web browser app) come anywhere close to the likes of IE9, Opera, Firefox or even Chrome. It's really odd that there's opera mini for smartphones but none for the ipad.

App Store - Opera Mini Web browser

This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad

:facepalm:

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
The post below is more or less the story of the whole post. why so much negligence?

App Store - Opera Mini Web browser

This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad

:facepalm:

opera mini is for smartphones. it "works" for the ipad but if you actually make the effort to try it out you'll see its not designed with the ipad form factor in mind at all.

after using opera mini for only a couple of minutes anyone will get disgusted and switch back to safari or dolphin no matter how bad they are.

I wonder what the "story" of your post is. Not sure how I'm being "negligent".

Sujeet

Undead!!!
IMO its the Personal Context and Not The Indian Context.Tr..eh..o..h..ll!

all Lulz............... about CD/DVD/itunes/iCloud/Touch Feedback/Poor App Support/No Good Games(Somebody introduce him/her to Modern Combat 3,Real Racing 2,Infinity Blade I & II ,ShadowGun,RAGE and bazillion more!!)

sarthak

In the zone
Only low-budget phones and tablets are designed with an Indian context, because we are very price conscious. The iPad is a premium product, and yes its not designed for India. But so are many other tablets, smartphones and laptops, so should the companies not launch them in India ? And is it Apple's fault that you have a slow internet connection ?

And you are comparing a tablet with a laptop............................ even though they are similarly priced but they are very different things with different purposes and can be compared for web browsing at most.

doomgiver

Warframe
But so are many other tablets, smartphones and laptops, so should the companies not launch them in India ? And is it Apple's fault that you have a slow internet connection ?

And you are comparing a tablet with a laptop............................ even though they are similarly priced but they are very different things with different purposes and can be compared for web browsing at most.

so, you mean to say that we HAVE to have a fast net, and we, as a society, should flog ourselves before the altar of Apple to repent for the sin of *gasp* not having a fast net???

also, where did the OP mention he is comparing the tablet with a laptop?

icloud, itunes and other apple bloatware are teh sux.
i mean, seriously? they are marketing cloud storage in a country where women are beaten and children turned into slaves just for an extra GB of bandwidth???

Ipad became successful just because of its marketing hype in US and other EU countries. And its a well known fact that Indians are now pathetically trying to imitate the same lifestyle of people of US. Whatever sells well in US will definitely be a hit in Indian market. Even if its a bag of Sh!t...just saying..
IMO you should have gone for an android tablet with good build quality like from SONY or the galaxy TAB considering the ways you were planning on using it. ( like external memory , viewing video files without the hassles of specific format support....etc)

monkey see, monkey do. monkey skin color brown. monkey like white.

screw tablets. get a galaxy note and a decent laptop. best of both worlds. and dont forget the gaming rig.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
1. monkey see, monkey do. monkey skin color brown. monkey like white.
this pretty much sums up most of the earlier guys who have replied here
2 .screw tablets. get a galaxy note and a decent laptop. best of both worlds. and dont forget the gaming rig.
@OP : this is good advice
and research before wasting your money

+1
replies in green

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
tethering a tablet to a pc is against the whole point isnt it?
our markets are diff, we dont share the same sentiment, the US market is dominated by apple, dead companies like Nokia and BB have a chance here
transformer is a beast. there are many, many good tablets, as long as you know before hand exactly what you are gonna use it for.
the best things in it are companion apps to PC/Console MMorpgs, mobile MMORPGS, and multiplayer mobile games
otherwise no go

the device, iPad, is designed to be used by anyone, saying its not designed for india, is as good as saying india is made up of some bizarro mutant people who cant use tablets like humans. cats and infants can use it. aliens will not have a hard time about it. try explaining disabling default homescreen widgets to an alien.

suyash24seven

Journeyman
first thing i did was to send a link of this page to all my iMessage friends so they can have a good laugh too, like i did! :p okay just kidding!

either you're trolling, or you didn't really know what an ipad is. you specially got me at the point where you were disappointed that it doesn't fit in your pocket! it's a tablet, it isn't supposed to fit in your pocket.

almost all good games/applications for any platform are paid, and are in fact expensive as well. most platforms allow you to run pirated copies, apple doesn't. and i totally respect that. at least they're offering great apps! (have you played infinity blade?) i used nokia for years, with everything free, from games to apps, but hardly any of them were worth playing, and by no means comparable to apps in the itunes store. snake was one, i guess bounce was one, but other than that? well good things cost you money, and you can't really claim your right to piracy, can you?

no cd/dvd support? umm. well i dunno what to say to that! :facepalm:

you mentioned gaming? well ipad has the best gaming among the tablets in the market. if you compare it's gaming capabilities with a PC, you're definitely gonna be disappointed.

typing on any new device is uncomfortable at first. give it time. and even then it'll never be as comfortable as typing on a physical keyboard.

you should have done your research well. you're complaining about 16GB? didn't you know how much space that is beforehand?

well now since you've bought it, use it expecting tablet functionalities from it - it's not alienware :)

Sujeet

Undead!!!
first thing i did was to send a link of this page to all my iMessage friends so they can have a good laugh too, like i did! :p okay just kidding!

either you're trolling, or you didn't really know what an ipad is. you specially got me at the point where you were disappointed that it doesn't fit in your pocket! it's a tablet, it isn't supposed to fit in your pocket.

almost all good games/applications for any platform are paid, and are in fact expensive as well. most platforms allow you to run pirated copies, apple doesn't. and i totally respect that. at least they're offering great apps! (have you played infinity blade?) i used nokia for years, with everything free, from games to apps, but hardly any of them were worth playing, and by no means comparable to apps in the itunes store. snake was one, i guess bounce was one, but other than that? well good things cost you money, and you can't really claim your right to piracy, can you?

no cd/dvd support? umm. well i dunno what to say to that! :facepalm:

you mentioned gaming? well ipad has the best gaming among the tablets in the market. if you compare it's gaming capabilities with a PC, you're definitely gonna be disappointed.

typing on any new device is uncomfortable at first. give it time. and even then it'll never be as comfortable as typing on a physical keyboard.

you should have done your research well. you're complaining about 16GB? didn't you know how much space that is beforehand?

well now since you've bought it, use it expecting tablet functionalities from it - it's not alienware :)
+1.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom