Google's Open Source Browser: Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Well, Firefox 3 is still better. Technologically Google Chrome sounds better but here is the thing. I use Ad Muncher to remove ads from browsers. It works with IE 8, Firefox but not working with Google Chrome. The last thing I was is Google showing it's ads without getting removed.

Just wait a while & then u will see many extensions coming up for it to block ads, even ad muncher needs to update their application so it will finally block ads.

moshel

Padawan
Type about:stats and about:memory in addressbar and press Enter. :D

interesting...:eek:

btw one good thing i liked abt google chrome is that there is no menu bar or a huge toolbar like firefox. so u can see more content on the page. it has a pretty minimalistic design and opens in a jiffy.

well still though im sticking to Opera.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
You people are missing the big point and just judging chrome as yet another browser. Google wants it to become a lot more than that. It wants chrome to evolve into a platform to run applications. That's why they built their own js engine and thats why gears is integrated in chrome

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I’m sure you guys must be discussing all the technical stuff. I cannot comment on those because I cannot use it yet. However, I have to say that Google Chrome has two things going for it:

1. Cool name! Right? Chrome is a great name, IMHO, and so are Firefox and Safari. Internet Explorer and Opera, on the other hand, are sucky names;

2. Google. It’s Google—the lone tech company that is loved by one and all. You can hate Microsoft and you can hate Apple but I don’t know a lot of people who hate Google. Being a Google product automatically gives it significant leverage.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Well, Firefox 3 is still better. Technologically Google Chrome sounds better but here is the thing. I use Ad Muncher to remove ads from browsers. It works with IE 8, Firefox but not working with Google Chrome. The last thing I was is Google showing it's ads without getting removed.

Do you think that Google, an advertiser company itself will help blocking ads in their own browser ?:rolleyes:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Too few features , im gonna stick with Opera.
LOL! You would be sticking to Opera even if Google paid you to use Chrome. :p

I am still downloading Chrome. The double download thingy where one first downloads the installer and then the installer downloads the app is a mighty pain near the anal region. :mad: Especially on my GPRS connection. :(

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I’m sure you guys must be discussing all the technical stuff. I cannot comment on those because I cannot use it yet. However, I have to say that Google Chrome has two things going for it:

1. Cool name! Right? Chrome is a great name, IMHO, and so are Firefox and Safari. Internet Explorer and Opera, on the other hand, are sucky names;

2. Google. It’s Google—the lone tech company that is loved by one and all. You can hate Microsoft and you can hate Apple but I don’t know a lot of people who hate Google. Being a Google product automatically gives it significant leverage.

1. The damn name is copied from Microsoft as well. :lol: Chrome was a codename for a browser technology Microsoft was working on. ;)

2. That's the difference, Google comes with Chrome it becomes an IE killer whereas it's direct competition is Firefox. The internet loves google so anything they do is good, if they copy it is said they have taken components so t's not copying. Microsoft implements InPrivate, the title of posts comes as Microsoft copies Apple, Chrome does the same well this thread shows the excitement on google copying stuff.

Having said all this, I stills ee myself ditching Firefox in some months, once plugins come out and other versions come, simply coz of it's memory consumption, which Firefox is horrible at.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Do you think that Google, an advertiser company itself will help blocking ads in their own browser ?:rolleyes:

No they wont want that but they still should & would remain open minded if the user want to block the ads. If users want it company has to do it, else users leave the product .......................simple.

Google has always worked towards market needs & have developed the company on its user base & they wont ignore their user base.

Having said all this, I stills ee myself ditching Firefox in some months, once plugins come out and other versions come, simply coz of it's memory consumption, which Firefox is horrible at.
Haven t u heard of Firefox ultimate optimizer?
I am running 11 tabs right now & 21 extensions & the memory consumed is hovering 1.5-3mb ram only. Google for it & download, no need to install it, it will make FF respod faster & very less (10times) memory.
*img522.imageshack.us/img522/1816/ffoptimizergy2.th.jpg

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
It's a superb browser. Now I will use Opera for all my daily tasks and Chrome in case Opera fails to handle some pages correctly. Chrome works beautifully with heavy JS+AJAX pages.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
LOL! You would be sticking to Opera even if Google paid you to use Chrome. :p

I am still downloading Chrome. The double download thingy where one first downloads the installer and then the installer downloads the app is a mighty pain near the anal region. :mad: Especially on my GPRS connection. :(

Haha :p

Anyways, i did give Chrome a trial.
It didnt let me subscribe to feeds , and it wasnt giving me any way to use userstyles for the forum.
And it didnt let me use custom search engines or organize my bookmarks.
Dumped it the very next moment. :D

Midori's got more features than Chrome right now :p

Btw , you can get snapshot builds from here Krazzy , they dont need double download , just unzip the file and use:
*build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp/

Last edited:

abhinav_bipnesh

Journeyman
hey guys,
I have downloaded and started using Google chrome and it quite(very light) on resource. Secondly its in beta state so we cannot say which new feature they will include into it. Also they have said that they have feature similar to Firefox, opera & IE so we can say that they are some what honest.

Also wait for some time to see what lie in future browser war. :D

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Using Chrome right now. It is quite fast. But I hate the blue look. It looks like it was designed for kids. Also reminds me of the default blue theme of XP.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Microsoft implements InPrivate, the title of posts comes as Microsoft copies Apple
Neither goobimama nor I, the two people you guys consider the biggest Apple fanboys, said that Microsoft had copied Apple in that thread. Copying is looking at what others are doing and remodeling your apps to mimic what the other guy’s apps look and work like—for example, Windows Photo Gallery (iPhoto) and Windows Sidebar (Dashboard). However, adding a feature that is an obvious extension of your existing feature-set, even if someone else gets there first, is not copying—for example, Live Search (Spotlight) and InPrivate mode (Private Browsing).

Using Chrome right now. It is quite fast. But I hate the blue look. It looks like it was designed for kids. Also reminds me of the default blue theme of XP.
I second that. Hate the look.

Love the comic they’ve come up with though. :D

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Neither goobimama nor I, the two people you guys consider the biggest Apple fanboys, said that Microsoft had copied Apple in that thread. Copying is looking at what others are doing and remodeling your apps to mimic what the other guy’s apps look and work like—for example, Windows Photo Gallery (iPhoto) and Windows Sidebar (Dashboard). However, adding a feature that is an obvious extension of your existing feature-set, even if someone else gets there first, is not copying—for example, Live Search (Spotlight) and InPrivate mode (Private Browsing).
Quite an intelligent way of saying that Microsoft pretty much copied everything in Vista. Well put, good one.

Anyways, wasn't referring to you or Goobi.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Quite an intelligent way of saying that Microsoft pretty much copied everything in Vista. Well put, good one.

Anyways, wasn't referring to you or Goobi.

I am sure you know this ;)

*www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/0..._apps_store_for_windows_mobile_7_in_2009.html

Another example of redmond copiers at work :p

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Chrome got 63/100 in Acid 3 test in Vista.. not bad for a completely new product.. but it has Webkit as its engine.. can anyone post the result of Safari which is based on the same engine?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Ignorance at best, was wondering why no one brought that up, I guess there are people smarter. Ever heard of Xbox Live Marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom