Not open for further replies.
OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
praka123 said:
:

Linux is NOT Windows!
neither is it better ;) grudgy yaar ... isko fight club mein rakho please ... abhi gx ko aana hai uska dimag bhi mint kharab kiya hai ...

The next issue arises when people do expect Linux to be different, but find that some differences are just too radical for their liking. Probably the biggest example of this is the sheer amount of choice available to Linux users. Whereas an out-of-the-box-Windows user has the Classic or XP desktop with Wordpad, Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express installed, an out-of-the-box-Linux user has hundreds of distros to choose from, then Gnome or KDE or Fluxbox or whatever, with vi or emacs or kate, Konqueror or Opera or Firefox or Mozilla, and so on and so forth.

A Windows user isn't used to making so many choices just to get up & running. Exasperated "Does there have to be so much choice?" posts are very common.
when windows came out with 5 different versions of vista the whole world came down on them sying wtf 5 versions ppl will go mad this and that ... double standards ;)

Linux started out "By geeks, for geeks." And even today, the majority of established Linux users are self-confessed geeks.
just goes out to say that its not for normal use which windows is ;)

Old: You have to build the car out of the bricks. That's the whole point of Lego.
i loved lego as a matter of fact i still do love it i got many sets of lego but u cant compare linux to lego :? lego is for a whole different purpose and an OS for a whole different purpose .... (but this guy has a point which me and gx have been trying to tell u that unless linux does radical changes it cannot take over windows as a more acceptable os coz as the author said abv its geeky and freaky)

ab aagey ka padhne ko pak raha hai ... fir kabhie

@grudgy ................. move man move (the topic)

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
please iMav stop comparing windows and Linux cos there is no match,one is made by communities for themselves and for any other who cares to use it and is absolutely free of cost and other is made by a big greedy company and costs us a bomb.

IMO you should just post whatever you liked/disliked in ubuntu gutsy gibbon without comparing it to windows and OS X without giving any verdict cos we all have used windows and ubuntu and we know what exactly the pros and cons are.Make it a review not a comparison chart.

I was googling something today and when I clicked on a page a pop-up came up which said "you have decided to save setup.exe" yes/no and I was laughing like hell.The website was trying to install malicious code in my PC....rofl...I wanted to tell those fuggers that I am on Linux.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
it is a review but has "references" to features in vista and os x as it is i actually wanted to write an article in the way the OSS guys write about vista being useless and how linux is better :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
exx_2000 said:
Even with UAC Microsoft has done a horrible job of securing its new Operating system. Not to mention I wonder where Microsoft suddenly got the idea of securing system tasks.

How is it horrible?
Linux have its share of problems as well. Being in tech support Ive seen my share of nasty WIndow Problems so please don't say that there are less bugs in WIndows or MS Software....

What is equivalent to Safe Mode in Linux?
Compiz does everything Aero does and more with less resources. Whatever you don't want can be turned off. I'm

Don't think so, even compiz requires good enough system requirment to run at full potential.

was googling something today and when I clicked on a page a pop-up came up

Those are things of past now here :D

Linux mint for me is very bad even on Virtual Machine. I m using it on Virtual box in which a VM install of XP works superb fine, but mint is crashing even in VM...lolz. I mean, VM...comon...now either Mint Sux or VirtualBox sux

Oh! both are OSS software :p

bibjee

A d m i n s t r a t o r
I would rather download a 500KB MP3 Codec from the internet and install it in ubuntu than pay 200$ for windows :)

The_Devil_Himself said:
I was googling something today and when I clicked on a page a pop-up came up which said "you have decided to save setup.exe" yes/no and I was laughing like hell.The website was trying to install malicious code in my PC....rofl...I wanted to tell those fuggers that I am on Linux.
This is another reason why i like linux.

There is no comparision. its a matter of personal choise. you want to use linux, use linux and if you want to use windows , use windows .

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
3. User Security: When Vista was launched people cursed its User security option which made u enter ur password before doing certain system specific taks also known as UAC - i was surprised rather more than surprised to find it bugging me in Ubuntu (the same thing is there in OS X Tiger also) - so dont see any reason why VIsta's UAC was so much of a stupid feature even though it gave u the option of dis-abling it unlike ubuntu and tiger

How is it horrible?

Do you say Microsoft uses this as a security feature or not? Cause I'm confused and so is Microsoft obviously cause they don't obviously believe it to be a measure to enhance security. Hence it doesn't provide security at all. Therefore I believe I proved my statement that "It has done a horrible job of securing the OS as is" I don't know about the beta SP1 or whatever they come out with. If I'm wrong please be free to explain to me why I'm wrong.

What is equivalent to Safe Mode in Linux?

Am I the only one who has recovery mode on my computer ? Or are you looking for some System restore functionality?

Don't think so, even compiz requires good enough system requirement to run at full potential.

As far as I know there are many low end computer users that use Compiz.

Linux mint for me is very bad even on Virtual Machine. I m using it on Virtual box in which a VM install of XP works superb fine, but mint is crashing even in VM...lolz. I mean, VM...comon...now either Mint Sux or VirtualBox sux

Wow what an educated statement. Let me try the same Lolz 111!!! One!! I mean dude Vista crashes for me so obviously it is some sorry excuse for a piece of garbage.

As someone earlier mentioned before, the content on this boards have changed to levels I'd rather not discuss. Wishing to have a good discussion is something of the past I guess.

Last edited:

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
First off, I don't think that this can even be classified as a review, because, first of all, it's in the Fight club which makes his intentions clear, secondly, @Imav seems to do a comparitive evaluation check with Vista rather than doing a clean minded Review of the test subject.

iMav said:
2. Compiz Fusion: use it to impress ur Girl-Friends and they will go all O ur a genious with Comps and trust me they will say u are Indian Bill Gates :D also u can use it to make ur siblings happy show them some good magic; but most of compiz features also suck out ur comp resources and are actually of no productive use - using these features u will hardly be able to use ur OS blur effects; slow motion all these are of no practical use
You surely can use it to impress your girl-friend which you can't do with Aero! ;)

Seriously however, the reason you've seen it so far to be non-productive is because you havent done anything productive on the OS to say so. From your review, it shows that you've just installed it and done the few basic dependency installs and haven't at all run any kind of productivity tests. You really want to see how productive compiz is? then open multiple windows of different programs and when i mean multiple, I mean without the fear of they clogging up your taskbar, and try to use the window and multiple desktop navigation and you'll come to know how easy and faster it is to navigate between them. It helps especially those lazy couchpotato browsers who don't want to move their hand upto the keyboard to do ALT+TAB and just use the mouse to instantaneously move between them.:cool:

iMav said:
3. Office Inbuilt: Yup though its not as good as some other packages available it is still better to have a package than having a trial or none at all, though iv read on this forum itself a member had problems when he created a Open Office ppt and viewed it in Powerpoint - big problems and that too just before his presentation
How many times does a powerpoint presentation made in MS Powerpoint when opened in Openoffice doesn't create a problem? There are standard compatibility issues but if your friend don't take those into consideration while preparing his slide, then things will undoubtedly look ugly. Besides, why is it that you again do a comparitive test evaluation with respect of Office to know how good Openoffice is rather than just testing the product standalone? I agree it's not the best but if you look at what it's meant to do, it does it well enough. Your friend created his presentation on it the way he wanted it, but when he opened it in Powerpoint is when he faced the issue which clearly shows you that Openoffice is capable of doing what the user wants but MS Powerpoint has compatibility issues with Openoffice and not the other way around.

iMav said:
4. Cant think of anymore
Like I mentioned before, that's because you haven't spent enough time reviewing the procuct that you have enough data to write a review! You have just installed it and done the very basics, no productivity tests, no alternative review tests, nothing. So, you need to spend atleast a week doing what you normally do on your beloved OS(Vista I guess) to see if there is change in your productivity and to really write a review.;)

Did you even realise that you didn't have to install your motherboard drivers, your graphics drivers and what ever other system drivers normally your XP or Vista computer would need you to do before you start using it? Did you forget that positive? Maybe you overlooked that because you never had to do it in the first place.:rolleyes:

Do you realise that your webcam, your bluetooth devices and maybe your printer or scanner just starts working after you plug it in and you dont' have to waste your time trying to install them? Maybe you overlooked this positive as well. You see, like I said, you haven't spent enought time to even be eligible to write a review.:razz:

iMav said:
1. A not at all Comparable to Windows out-of-the-box experience: No mp3 for whatever reason; a music player is bundled but mp3 plugins are downloaded for the 'supposed' video player
Reason for no Mp3 support has been mentioned by others already. However, you should be aware that the reason XP or Vista is able to play Mp3's out of the box is because of Windows Media Player which as you all might be aware that EU courts struck down stating unethical strategies. So, as far as Windows in EU is considered, I don't think XP or Vista can play Mp3 out of the box(Correct me if I'm wrong). So, if you think that point makes it any bit inferior, then you're wrong.:D

iMav said:
2. Internet Conx is a Must: If u dont have a net conx u can pretty much do nothing on ur box - no plugins no video no music which i really find funny considering the fact that people have labelled this as the Vista killer OS, u need to download so many libraries; dependencies so much just to make sure that it works
NO, INTERNET CONECTION IS NOT A MUST! :mad: See, I told you, you haven't spent enought time with it to realize what it's actually about.

Do you even realise that you get DVD distros which go upto 4.7GB's which have all the required libraries and additional softwares where you wouldn't even need an internet connection?

Also, do you even know that there is something called Apt-on-CD which you can get from literally anyone who has the same version of Ubuntu with already upto date files?

Besides, how do you expect to operate Vista or XP stabily without an internet connection? How would you download all the thousands of updates that MS asks you to install some of which break the system and very few of which install without your permssion? Wouldn't you want an internet connection for that? And BTW, why are you even cribbing about an internet connection when majority of the people who own computers have an internet connection, wake up, this is not 1998, this is 2007 end. Even if you required an internet connection atleast a Dialup would be sufficient enough to download the updates. Wait, you didn't test that, then how can you comment. :rolleyes:

iMav said:
3. User Security: When Vista was launched people cursed its User security option which made u enter ur password before doing certain system specific taks also known as UAC - i was surprised rather more than surprised to find it bugging me in Ubuntu (the same thing is there in OS X Tiger also) - so dont see any reason why VIsta's UAC was so much of a stupid feature even though it gave u the option of dis-abling it unlike ubuntu and tiger
It asks you the password only for performing admin related tasks and you can increase the time period for how long you would like it to leave open. For example if you leave the time to 1min, if you try to perform more than 1 admin tasks within 1min, it will just ask you for the password once. If you leave it for 5 mins, it will ask you for the password only once in 5 mins if you carry out an administrative tasks. See, you haven't spent enought time testing it to even comment on something that you haven't seen.

Besides, it doesn't ask you for a password for literally each and everything you perform like acknowledging permission for file name change in Vista! Gosh! WTF?:mad:

iMav said:
4. Drivers Support: Now let me be clear i dont blame Ubuntu developers for this at all but when u compare urself to something like windows this plays a major role - huge lack of driver support and even though drivers are sometimes avialable there are weird problems while installing it
When Windows loyalist keep begging not to blame Vista for lack of it's software and hardware compatibility there is no point even remotely coming close to saying that it's the Opersource communities fault! For eg: Although there are several thousand yahoo users trying to use yahoo IM on Ubuntu, Yahoo has hardly bothered to develop their IM for this platform. They have a working version but that's really outdated! How much money or time would it take them to make a working Yahoo IM for Linux, it already exists, they just need to work on it, it's not something new that they need to make, alas, they give a darn and the OSS community suffers! although there are several diferent working IM's for yahoo but not fully compatible with voice and audio due to Yahoo's propietry video streaming format I guess(not sure)

iMav said:
5. No BSODs/Crash Reason: Now every1 curses bsods calling them stupid MS flaws but for some reason if u come to think about getting a BSOD is much better than having ur machine frozen and u actually not knowing that it has frozen and what caused it to freeze
Well, no one bothered to make a BSOD because it hardly crashes. Since you've been doing a comparitive analysis all along, why don't you compare the no. of Windows crashes with Ubuntu? I can assure you that they will be at a 1:8 ratio or higher which means Ubuntu might crash 1 time will windows crashes 8 times within the same time period with the similar amount of work on the same hardware. So why bother wasting time creating a BSOD????:rolleyes:

Besides, can you please enlighten me as to why my XP restarts iteself with no error message, no BSOD, no nothin, It just restarts itself when it wants when I'm in the middle of doing something.. hmmmm.. I wonder why? Don't come back and tell me my hardware has some problem. Let me enlighten you that my Ubuntu install works just fine with no troubles like Windows.

Last edited:
iMav is still an Ape

If I were to give you a simple reply, iMav, its just that you are not ubuntu ready. There are different distros for different perposes, and you might need something like the suse 10.3 with non oss addon, or freespire. if similarity is what you want, go for them and leave ubuntu users alone. we are happy with this, because it suits us fine. you explore other OSes with live CDs. I was once in a situation just like yours, but with bsnl 500, I have tonnes of live CDs to test before choosing one.

You might not even be linux ready, as your needs seemed more fullfilled by applemacosx and microsoftwinxp/vista.

plenty of OSes based on linux exist, some specially designed for XP users, like Xandros. we find tem un satisfactory, but you might get to love them. who knows...(see my post title:D)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Re: iMav is still an Ape

MetalheadGautham said:
If I were to give you a simple reply, iMav, its just that you are not ubuntu ready. There are different distros for different perposes, and you might need something like the suse 10.3 with non oss addon, or freespire. if similarity is what you want, go for them and leave ubuntu users alone. we are happy with this, because it suits us fine. you explore other OSes with live CDs. I was once in a situation just like yours, but with bsnl 500, I have tonnes of live CDs to test before choosing one.

You might not even be linux ready, as your needs seemed more fullfilled by applemacosx and microsoftwinxp/vista.

plenty of OSes based on linux exist, some specially designed for XP users, like Xandros. we find tem un satisfactory, but you might get to love them. who knows...(see my post title:D)

for me it started from fedora 3 then suse 10.2 then mandriva 2007 then PCLinux OS 2007(It plays everything out of the box(even avi files) and gives a crystal xp type feel) and later settled on Ubuntu after Fiesty Fawn released (Just cuz am havin net conn and it has the most active community so far, i was able to everything just by going thru their official forum) :D

praka123

left this forum longback
Re: imav is still an Ape

sorry imav :D i have no clue how ^^^the post title changed from "&&& is still an Ape" to what it is now :oops: :D

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
2 Things I really agree with which are mentioned in start of Topic.

1. In case of no internet connection there is a big prob in case of Linux. [Any version]. In case of Windows you can just download One Exe or One Zip and its done.

2. In case of Hardware driver installation prob BSOD is preffered thing than Linux Promt for average user.

Well it is said that Its not hard in Linux..You just know how to do it in Linux. But its still pain when it comes to resolving issues.

I used Debian for Multimedia and Surfing. Had no hassles as it came in 3 DVD pack with all softwares you can imagine of.

But in case of CD based Installers which generally lack multimedia capability its hard for any user which has no net connection.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
exx_2000 said:
Do you say Microsoft uses this as a security feature or not? Cause I'm confused and so is Microsoft obviously cause they don't obviously believe it to be a measure to enhance security. Hence it doesn't provide security at all. Therefore I believe I proved my statement that "It has done a horrible job of securing the OS as is"

Unlike Admin password which won't let the user do anything if he doesn't know it, UAC informs that something fishy is going arround & if the user wants he can perform that action. So in a manner the concept of UAS is better. It tells the user what the situation & then he decides what to do.

Am I the only one who has recovery mode on my computer ? Or are you looking for some System restore functionality?

I m talking about something like Safe mode in Windows. Is recovery mode a full GUI mode like Safe mode?

Did you even realise that you didn't have to install your motherboard drivers, your graphics drivers and what ever other system drivers normally your XP or Vista computer would need you to do before you start using it? Did you forget that positive?

Just cos u forgot, i would like to mention that Windows Vista already comes with 40k inbuilt drivers & 50k more on Windows Update. So yeah, he didn't need to install drivers for his motherboard etc on a default vista installation either.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Tech_Wiz said:
But in case of CD based Installers which generally lack multimedia capability its hard for any user which has no net connection.

try PClinuxOS 2008, its a single CD distro, somes prepacked with multimedia capability and winodws like friendliness.

I remember my friends were amused when it played avi right out of the box:D

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Unlike Admin password which won't let the user do anything if he doesn't know it, UAC informs that something fishy is going arround & if the user wants he can perform that action. So in a manner the concept of UAS is better. It tells the user what the situation & then he decides what to do.

If you don't know the Admin password for the system your own I think that you would be way better off not changing anything at all. If I recall correctly Microsoft was tooting all along that Vista UAC would make Vista much more safer actually doesn't. Why? Read up on technets blog. Id post a link if I had the bandwidth to find the thing. Further more if you search UAC you will find there are dozens of attacks based on UAC which basically hides the malware on it.

I m talking about something like Safe mode in Windows. Is recovery mode a full GUI mode like Safe mode?

Stay with Windows if you want something like Windows. Nonetheless receovery mode in Ubuntu is a command prompt.

Just cos u forgot, i would like to mention that Windows Vista already comes with 40k inbuilt drivers & 50k more on Windows Update. So yeah, he didn't need to install drivers for his motherboard etc on a default vista installation either.

Yet I wonder why a majority of Motherboard companies included their drivers for their Motherboard, Sound, Display , Network card. Mines is an Asus M2N MX SE. Hence even with 40k and 50k drivers they fail at providing for the most common stuff. Oh by the way even after installing the drivers my Asus M2N MX SE didnt work. I get a BSOD in Vista ?!?! I guess it would have worked had I persisted the same amount as I did in Vista but Im definitely not going to waste my time after spending that much money on it.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Cyrus_the_virus said:
First off, I don't think that this can even be classified as a review, because, first of all, it's in the Fight club which makes his intentions clear,
the reason i put it in fight club is well discussed before its not about my intentions but what happens in such threads

Cyrus_the_virus said:
Did you even realise that you didn't have to install your motherboard drivers, your graphics drivers and what ever other system drivers normally your XP or Vista computer would need you to do before you start using it? Did you forget that positive? Maybe you overlooked that because you never had to do it in the first place.
i had to install no drivers on vista .... nill zero zich ... none no drivers to be downloaded from vendor site everything done by vista no user interruption required ;) and u seriously dont want me to start on what i had to get done to make gfx card wrk on ubuntu ;) seriously go thru the oss section ul come to know what i had to go thru to make it work and i dont have some new or unique fx its nvidia geforce fx 5200 so drivers well vista pwns it

Do you realise that your webcam, your bluetooth devices and maybe your printer or scanner just starts working after you plug it in and you dont' have to waste your time trying to install them? Maybe you overlooked this positive as well. You see, like I said, you haven't spent enought time to even be eligible to write a review.
wrok on vista the same way no action or installation required :p so i dont find anything better in ubuntu other than just follwing the MS way of building drivers in the package :p

Reason for no Mp3 support has been mentioned by others already. However, you should be aware that the reason XP or Vista is able to play Mp3's out of the box is because of Windows Media Player which as you all might be aware that EU courts struck down stating unethical strategies. So, as far as Windows in EU is considered, I don't think XP or Vista can play Mp3 out of the box(Correct me if I'm wrong). So, if you think that point makes it any bit inferior, then you're wrong.:D
blah ... vista runs everything even os x ;) and its not like ubuntu doesnt come with media players

NO, INTERNET CONECTION IS NOT A MUST!
ya rite play mp3s for me on a new installed ubuntu without net conx to dwnld codecs :rolleyes:

Do you even realise that you get DVD distros which go upto 4.7GB's which have all the required libraries and additional softwares where you wouldn't even need an internet connection?
1 dvd/cd from windows or osx does it i dont have to chk whether i have a cd version which has codecs or no ;)
Also, do you even know that there is something called Apt-on-CD which you can get from literally anyone who has the same version of Ubuntu with already upto date files?
ya thanx to qwerty i know abt it and that proves my point again that u need to dwnld the bloody package to have a backup :lol:
Besides, how do you expect to operate Vista or XP stabily without an internet connection? How would you download all the thousands of updates that MS asks you to install some of which break the system and very few of which install without your permssion? Wouldn't you want an internet connection for that? And BTW, why are you even cribbing about an internet connection when majority of the people who own computers have an internet connection, wake up, this is not 1998, this is 2007 end. Even if you required an internet connection atleast a Dialup would be sufficient enough to download the updates. Wait, you didn't test that, then how can you comment. :rolleyes:
pirated xp here never updated in the past 4 yrs wrks like a charm ;)

It asks you the password only for performing admin related tasks and you can increase the time period for how long you would like it to leave open. For example if you leave the time to 1min, if you try to perform more than 1 admin tasks within 1min, it will just ask you for the password once. If you leave it for 5 mins, it will ask you for the password only once in 5 mins if you carry out an administrative tasks. See, you haven't spent enought time testing it to even comment on something that you haven't seen.
can i disable it i know it asks sometimes and doesnt sometime at first i thought wt is this but then i searched and came to know abt it :lol:

Yahoo has hardly bothered to develop their IM for this platform.
do i need to tell u what yahoo feels abt OSS :lol:

Well, no one bothered to make a BSOD because it hardly crashes. Since you've been doing a comparitive analysis all along, why don't you compare the no. of Windows crashes with Ubuntu? I can assure you that they will be at a 1:8 ratio or higher which means Ubuntu might crash 1 time will windows crashes 8 times
on my machine my personal experience its 0:8 windows 0 and ubuntu has hung countless times even twice during installation ;)

i can also compare with respect to tiger but now that tiger is past and its leopard i wont do that coz leopard i havnt used

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom